Power Wagon Winch Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trivium91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
HI Guys i have the 2018 power wagon with the 12,000LB Winch. The first time i used it i wrapped the cable back on itself and its slightly crimped, no frays or anything just a bump in the cable now. Its a huge pain to pull out this cable as i just learned you need 500LBS of tension to spool the cable back in which is likely why it got a little tangled up inside...how is this even possible to apply that much tension? In any case im looking to replace it with Synthetic kevlar rope..does anyone know the diameter of the stock cable? Also where can i buy synthetic rope preferably complete and crimped.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You should check out the power wagon section. Synthetic rope is difficult on these because replacing the fairlead is almost impossible. And there are several ways to pretension your cable. Check out YouTube for some ideas.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My father did a tug of war to rewrap it. Hes a good sized man that was able to tension it enough to make a nice tight wrap for it. I would have been like a kit in the wind if I tried. We want a synthetic as well but the fairlead sucks.

Roll Tide Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need a tree saver strap and a D-ring/shackle. Never hook a winch cable onto itself. Also get some good leather gloves, a used cable will eventually have some wire strands that hurt when they poke you. To wind the cable up, you can hook to a tree and leave truck in neutral and put a few clicks on the e-brake. Also when winching, get out and check the cable to make sure it doesn't all wind up on one side of the drum. Under a load, winches heat up a good bit, you need to let them cool some and let the battery recharge.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not understanding your question about spooling the cable in. Push the button on the remote and it spools itself. You just have to pull back and keep tension on it with your hand (hand a few feet away from the drum) and make sure the strands are wrapped close and tight.
Are you talking about pulling the cable out from the winch? Does your winch not have a neutrol switch so it free spins?
I used my smittybilt 12K waterproof and wireless synthetic rope winch sometimes 5 times in one day and almost every weekend on my jeep.
Gotta search ebay for synthetic rope. Typicaly you want to stay with 3/8" rope so you can fit more length on your drum. I just looked real quik and saw 1/2" 100' synthetic rope on ebay for $150 and it comes with the aluminum fairlead needed. If you search, rough country makes 100' of 3/8" synthetic rope for the same price, but doesnt include aluminum fairlead. Cant use synthetic rope with a steel fairlead. It will eat up the synthetic rope. Hope this helps.

IMG_2603.PNG

IMG_2604.PNG

IMG_2606.PNG

Last edited:

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Im not understanding your question about spooling the cable in. Push the button on the remote and it spools itself. You just have to pull back and keep tension on it with your hand (hand a few feet away geom drum) and make sure the strands are wrapped close and tight.
Are you talking about pulling the cable out from the winch? Does your winch not have a neutrol switch so it free spins?
I used my smittybilt 12K waterproof and wireless synthetic rope winch sometimes 5 times in one day and almost every weekend on my jeep.
Gotta search ebay for synthetic rope. Typicaly you want to stay with 3/8" rope so you can fit more length on your drum. I just looked real quik and saw 1/2" 100' synthetic rope on ebay for $150 and it comes with the aluminum fairlead needed. If you search, rough country makes 100' of 3/8" synthetic rope for the same price, but doesnt include aluminum fairlead. Cant use synthetic rope with a steel fairlead. It will eat up the synthetic rope. Hope this helps.

View attachment 128172

View attachment 128173

View attachment 128174
There is an unfathomable amount of misinformation in this post

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Based on your posts across the board I would tend to agree. However, you have not shown the ability to listen to information that tends to differ from yours, so I am not going to waste the effort in trying to educate you.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on your posts across the board I would tend to agree. However, you have not shown the ability to listen to information that tends to differ from yours, so I am not going to waste the effort in trying to educate you.

You do not need any more tension than simply leaning back and pulling on the rope to roll it out or in. Its common sense. As to the OP's question about the aluminum fairlead that has to replace the rollers for synthetic rope, I found aluminum fairleads do not bolt up to the power wagon warn winch.
But i was able to find this so hopefully it helps the OP out. Sounds like some fab work will be needed to bolt on the aluminum fairlead.

IMG_2608.PNG

IMG_2609.PNG

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do not need any more tension than simply leaning back and pulling on the rope to roll it out or in. Its common sense. As to the OP's question about the aluminum fairlead that has to replace the rollers for synthetic rope, I found aluminum fairleads do not bolt up to the power wagon warn winch.
But i was able to find this so hopefully it helps the OP out. Sounds like some fab work will be needed to bolt on the aluminum fairlead.

View attachment 128177

View attachment 128178

Hopefully this is not to confusing for IRSmart.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Learn us something IRSmart, don’t just say their wrong and leave. Give us your .02

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Warn recommends at least 1k pounds of weight on the line for the initial complete winding. Steel or synthetic doesn't matter. Body weight is not sufficient. I used another truck, attaching to the receiver hitch, rode the brakes as I slowly winched in.

Page 5 under "Stretching": https://www.warn.com/manuals/assets/pdf/98972_A0_Winch Operators Manual.pdf

Ahh now it makes sense. Ok yeah the initial winding does need to be really tight. Ask me how I know...lol. when i installed my synthetic rope, i just pulled on it hand tight. Next day went to use my winch, and had the rope pretty much all the way out. Even though there was 8 wraps on the drum, it snapped the bolt off that holds the end of the rope to the drum. I had to tig a metal T-handle to the broken off bolt to get it back out. Dont make the mistake I made. Make the initial wrap tight!

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am not fan of fixed metal eyelets on synthetic winch ropes. Materpull uses rewoven loops and Fireline uses a poly coated link with a long tail. With staked or crimped eyelets you rely on the strength of the crimp if you get the rope out too far. I think the Fireline is the best solution because there is a section of rope the length of the drum running under the first wrap. As published by Warn, the rope needs to be properly tensioned to prevent the outer wraps from cutting the inner wraps. The pretension will not prevent the rope from slipping on the drum of you pull out too much rope.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Use your own truck as drag for initial winch in on a slope hooked to something solid like another truck or drag your brakes or both. After that just need someone at the end of the winch holding tension so it winds up tight or wind it in while still hooked up if you can. That's all we do with the winch tractors out here and they're way bigger winches. Easily pull 40 tonnes onto the deck.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ahh now it makes sense. Ok yeah the initial winding does need to be really tight. Ask me how I know...lol. when i installed my synthetic rope, i just pulled on it hand tight. Next day went to use my winch, and had the rope pretty much all the way out. Even though there was 8 wraps on the drum, it snapped the bolt off that holds the end of the rope to the drum. I had to tig a metal T-handle to the broken off bolt to get it back out. Dont make the mistake I made. Make the initial wrap tight!

Yea it's the tension of the initial 5-8 wraps that holds the cable on the drum. The bolt is just there to keep it from falling off if you unwind it completely.