Pre fabricated exhaust system.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnum318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Has anyone here had any experience with a bolt on exhaust system?

I got my new LMC catalog the other day and noticed that they have a cat back dual exhaust that is priced about half of what my mechanic would custom make one for.

If you have ever bought an exhaust system from a catalog would you mind sharing your experience and advice?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Alot of this depends on the brand, quality of metal used, and whether the kit includes exhaust tips or not. Which kit were you looking at?

We sell alot of Magnaflow catback exhaust kits, and they are very high quality. They fit perfect using the factory hangers, and they will last the life of the truck because they are all stainless from the clamps, to the piping, to the muffler, and the tips.

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
I bought a complete exhaust system through LMC for my suburban about 10 yrs ago. I highly advise against it. The tubing was really thin wall and it sounded tinny. Plus a lot of the bends were not the best.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
If you want an expensive exhaust system that requires a bit of work if not down right fab work, buy LMCs. You can buy the same pieces from Jegs or possibly Summit for far less. At least it will make the labor a bit less painful. ;)

BTW LMC has an "oversize part charge" that really tags you on the freight.

You should also check our vendors. I didn't see any listings on Moes home page but he can probably order you a system if they're still made.

Or greedbay...

Last edited:
OP
OP
magnum318

magnum318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Thanks for the advice. I really know little about exhaust systems and their components.

The system I'm looking at is made of 16 gauge aluminized steel and has mandrel bends. Included is all the mounting hardware and it has resonator tips in place of a muffler.
The price before shipping is $259.95

I will defiantly shop around. This is just the system that caught my eye first and got me thinking about a pre-fab system. I can't afford to have one custom made right now.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have a full 409 stainless magnaflow on my G8 that bolted right up and fit like a glove. Stick with the name brands and you'll be fine. IMO, custom exhausts aren't as good unless they mandrel bend the pipe and use stainless. Most places don't have the tools to do that.

Chris

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
^^BINGO. Aluminized steel will rust over time. If you are going to go with a true catback exhaust, then do it right with a quality kit. I cant tell you how many customers have called to order a Maganflow catback because their Flowmaster or Gibson exhaust has rusted to pieces.

OP
OP
magnum318

magnum318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
Sounds like the wise Thing to do is to keep my stock system for a while and save up some more money.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
YEP! They cost some moola, but if you plan to keep your vehicles for a while, buy a stainless system. They don't rust from the outside in, they rust from the inside out. Exhaust gas is VERY corrosive.