Prefill Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yes, the dealers do that, and that is a "good enough" thing, which the most people are used to, but there's also a "better" thing, like pre-filling the filter with oil, waiting for half an hour for most of the oil to drain, pulling the fuse for the engine ignition and cranking the engine a few times to fill the oil gallery before starting it.
So, each chooses what they want, good enough, or better. Can't judge either.
That's why I do my own

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not prefill my oil filters. No ned to though im sure some will argue that. Ive never done it and never had engine problems. They fill up themselves in no time.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Are oil filters even needed?

The first spin-on oil filters were introduced in the mid-1950s, and by the 1960s they were the norm. We didn't always have them.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

The first spin-on oil filters were introduced in the mid-1950s, and by the 1960s they were the norm. We didn't always have them.
Compared to today's fine engines, those pre filtered engines had sloppy tolerances, ran on any 30w oil, had no emissions crap, and had unrestricted exhaust systems. Ah, those were the days, fun hopping 'em up and fix anything on the road or at home.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

In lots of cases, those engines needed an overhaul by 75000 miles. It was rare to see a car make it 100,000 in those days. Today, it's considered normal.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes, the dealers do that, and that is a "good enough" thing, which the most people are used to, but there's also a "better" thing, like pre-filling the filter with oil, waiting for half an hour for most of the oil to drain, pulling the fuse for the engine ignition and cranking the engine a few times to fill the oil gallery before starting it.
So, each chooses what they want, good enough, or better. Can't judge either.
That is just plain nuts! If you actually use your idiotic oil and filter change procedure, at the end of your Cummins engine life at say 1 million miles will you find any measurable difference in wear? I seriously doubt it.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That is just plain nuts! If you actually use your idiotic oil and filter change procedure, at the end of your Cummins engine life at say 1 million miles will you find any measurable difference in wear? I seriously doubt it.
On your engine you do what you want, and on my engine I will do what I want. Ok?

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Calling this oil change procedure idiotic, well, to let you know, I work for 15 years already in the Alberta oil sands as a Heavy Equipment Technician, and servicing and repairing the various types of heavy mining equipment, mostly the Caterpillar 797A, B, F, 793, Komatsu 930, 980 (with Cummins engines, by the way), it's a normal procedure here when doing the oil changes to perform the so called Dry Starts, which in fact is cranking the engine a few times before starting it. Another thing, we have the ability to fill the whole engine through the newly installed oil filters, there's a quick connect before the oil filter housing, and all the 200-450 litres of oil go into the engine through the oil filters, filling them up in the process. One more, all the engines here have pre-lube pumps, and they kick in first when you turn the key to start an engine, they build up the pressure in the oil system, so you can have a safe start.
And most, around 90%, of these engines here run without failure to around 25-30 thousand hours, then get swapped, just as a precaution not to take any chances of a catastrophic failure, while the oil samples come good during all these long hours of hard work.
So there you go, there's average, good enough service procedures, and there's better, engineered by smart people and proven by time and real life in hundreds and thousands of engines.

Last edited:

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It’s funny that people think filling the oil filter puts unfiltered oil into the engine…….when it’s from a new container!

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s funny that people think filling the oil filter puts unfiltered oil into the engine…….when it’s from a new container!
If you change your oil in a clean room with sterilized tools and funnels, then sure, it's possible to have no contaminants. Sounds expensive for your changes though.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And there it is, nothing but a FACT!

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My diesel pusher has a Cummins motor. The oil filters hold about a gallon of oil, and Cummins recommends filling them pre-install. I'm not advocating one way or the other here, just saying.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Calling this oil change procedure idiotic, well, to let you know, I work for 15 years already in the Alberta oil sands as a Heavy Equipment Technician, and servicing and repairing the various types of heavy mining equipment, mostly the Caterpillar 797A, B, F, 793, Komatsu 930, 980 (with Cummins engines, by the way), it's a normal procedure here when doing the oil changes to perform the so called Dry Starts, which in fact is cranking the engine a few times before starting it. Another thing, we have the ability to fill the whole engine through the newly installed oil filters, there's a quick connect before the oil filter housing, and all the 200-450 litres of oil go into the engine through the oil filters, filling them up in the process. One more, all the engines here have pre-lube pumps, and they kick in first when you turn the key to start an engine, they build up the pressure in the oil system, so you can have a safe start.
And most, around 90%, of these engines here run without failure to around 25-30 thousand hours, then get swapped, just as a precaution not to take any chances of a catastrophic failure, while the oil samples come good during all these long hours of hard work.
So there you go, there's average, good enough service procedures, and there's better, engineered by smart people and proven by time and real life in hundreds and thousands of engines.

All of those engines you're talking about have absolutely nothing to do with our pick-up engines.
You also NEVER answered my question about whether there was any measurable difference in wear at the end of the engine life-span of our 6.7 pick-up engines.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
All of those engines you're talking about have absolutely nothing to do with our pick-up engines.
You also NEVER answered my question about whether there was any measurable difference in wear at the end of the engine life-span of our 6.7 pick-up engines.
An engine is an engine, no matter how big or small. And some procedure can extend the life of an engine, and that is a proven fact, otherwise they wouldn't be applied, and some don't.
I can't give you any numbers, since I haven't done any such experiments, but if you trust the engineers building this engines (and I have graduated as a mechanical engineer in automotives, 4 years of college and 4 years of university, so I have studied in details this subject), they will tell you about wear, and ways to reduce it.
Yes, everyone is happy with the usual life-span of a 6.7, because it's impressive, compared to others, but some people can take it even further, just doing simple things that others don't.
And as I said, you can do whatever you want with your engine, I don't care, it's your money. And I will do whatever I want with mine, and don't call those procedures idiotic, because they're not.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I pre fill every change. My truck my choice. Cost of playing.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have always pre filled my filters. I am old school and remember when I was working at a full service gas station if they weren't pre filled and all of the noise they made after an oil change. Now as stated before the pumps are so much better now days, but I still prefer to pre fill mine. I guess its because I am older lol.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have always pre filled my filters. I am old school and remember when I was working at a full service gas station if they weren't pre filled and all of the noise they made after an oil change. Now as stated before the pumps are so much better now days, but I still prefer to pre fill mine. I guess its because I am older lol.
I remember setting points and dwell too. I get the old school thing, but I also get doing what the manufacturer recommends.