prerunner style build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK so I have been surfing around this site for a little now and getting some great ideas. Thanks! Now it is time to start my build. I am starting with a 2014 1500 Sport Crew Cab. My goal: a prerunner look but I still want decent gas mileage and drivability as this is a daily driver. I do not want a lift (level only) as those have started to cause problems with some state inspection stations and I like the look of trophy trucks, low and wide.
I have already ordered the ADD front bumper - it is direct bolt on which makes the extra cost worth it to me over the KORE bumper.
I am going with Bushwacker pocket flares because fiberglass fenders remove the inner fender and again I want to protect all that stuff. I have customized several vehicles and I am not afraid of cutting and reshaping fenders and/or flares as needed to get the right form and function. I am learning by reading that nothing happens without pics on this site so I am going to takes pics as I go and post them as I go along. Hopefully someone out there can learn from mistakes I make and I can learn from you so the mistakes are minimized. My job makes it so I can't get online everyday and this will be a build over some time so be patient if I am not on the site all the time. Thanks

OP
OP
S

Speeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is my starting point. I am not a fan of chrome, so I have already removed the badging. The wheel-to-wheel side steps are next to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
S

Speeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on all of the tons of info from this site here is what I am planning:
Level kit - bilstien 5100 (if I can find them) or I am impressed with the Zone Offroad level spacers with upper arms
Wheels - either 18x9 method fat5 or 18x10 motometal 961or969
Tires - 325/65r18 Duratrac or 325/60r18 toyo AT II I am not sure which way to go on these but I want to stay light and these tires/sizes stay around the 65lbs mark. I see where some are running 35x12.5 tires but some are having rubs. Does anyone have pics of where they rub? All the front stuff will be gone with the new bumper so is there rear rubbing and can I cut out some of the rear of the front fender?
I am open to your ideas/thoughts before I start dropping $$$$ so let me know what you think.

predator800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 litre
Your build is something I'll be watching. It's what I was thinking of doing. I prefer the duratracs. They treat me we'll especially if you have to drive on ice

Tyler__Beck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post pics when you start! I love the trophy truck look and was thinking about doing this.

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out glassworks and fiberwerx I think they both make flared fenders for the 4th gens.

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't used the Toyo's but I did like the Duratracs I had, the started on my 09 and I swapped them onto my 13. I got 26k out of them with no issues and they still had a lot of life left. I would have got a set for my 14 but I spent too much on a lift and wheels and ended up getting some Federal's.

OP
OP
S

Speeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I got the bumper On, fender flares, leveled, and some 35s. I went with the ADD bumper and I really like it. Great quality and a good group to work with. I did the rancho ready lift simply because I have had good luck with rancho products in the past and I like the adjustability. The tires are Falken wild peak 35x12.50r20 O got a really good deal that I just couldn't pass up. I had to do a 1" wheel spacer to fit. I like the stock wheels so this works for now in the the future I think I will go a little bigger on the tire and an 18x10 wheel to get them out a little more.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,085
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 7,417
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 335

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
love that bumper, how do you like the wild peaks?

OP
OP
S

Speeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't had them long enough to give a fair assessment. They ride like stock and did did fine in the rain but it wasn't raining very hard.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Awesome work!

How was the fender flare install? I've been thinking about putting some on myself and wondered how easy the install was.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you try a 1/4 inch spacer or was 1" all they had?

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking good man. It blows the Raptor out of the water appearance wise

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

dogsbreakfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well done....THAT looks Kickass!!
I'm in the early stages of a similar build with a Bighorn I just picked up....been all over the Baja look since I saw a Ramrunner.

OP
OP
S

Speeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fender flares were very easy. They are bushwacker flares and it only requires removing some of the stock bolts and putting them back in. The flatness add a few bolts but they go where there are already holes. No drilling, very easy. Putting the tape on the back is the hardest thing to do and it was easy.

OP
OP
S

Speeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went went with the 1" spacer because I wanted a wider look. To me the wheels and tires still need to be a little wider. I really don't like the idea of spacers but I got a really good deal on these tires and I really like the stock sport wheels. In the future I will probably upgrade to 18x10 wheels with a positive offset and wider tires.