Pro comp stage 2 vs BDS vs Rancho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be buying a lift kit soon and need advice. I'm leaning more towards the Rancho right now because of their huge rebate going on til late June. I off road my truck maybe 5 6 times a month. I want something sturdy with as much front wheel travel as possible and maybe a little better ride on the road for the lady. Any input from owners of these lifts would be greatly appreciated!

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Go BDS for overall value, quality, and warranty. Pro-comp makes a great lift, however with the stage 2 you will spend the most and for the little amount of off-roading you will be doing it is not a good value to usage.

OP
OP
Catchin Zs

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just want something badass. BDS seems like a good choice, but it doesn't have the one piece subframe like Rancho does it? And 600 bucks for a leaf spring option? That's a pretty penny

OP
OP
Catchin Zs

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that sucks. I could get the Rancho for around 1100 with the 9000xl shocks, or could wait a few more months and get the BDS. I just want maximum protection for my front end, etc. So it's now down to BDS or Rancho..

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Could get a custom kit with the best of everything, kinda like if you dont like a part in a certain kit change it with something else.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'm not sure why you threw out Pro Comp? Stage 2 is the coilover system. That's going to be for ultimate ride and smoothness. I have the Stage 1 and have no complaints and have had ZERO problems with it over 9 months. I don't use mine heavily off road, but it does get used and has been tested. I think Pro Comp makes a great kit and they have been around a long time. What I don't like about them is their warranty, then again if they make a kit that's going to last you don't necessarily need a lifetime warranty (although the peace of mind is good). I don't know anybody whose ever had a problem with Pro Comp. Not sure about the 3rd gens, but on the 4th gens Pro Comp is the only company to offer a full 6" drop bracket, meaning you keep all the factory angles.

I'm not saying the Pro Comp lift is the best out there, because truth be told we can only give you opinions. I know I have the kit and love it and wouldn't hesitate to put it on my truck again.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Front: Bilsteins
Rear: Pro Comp Stage 1 (they are the standard PC shocks, not the upgraded ones that come with Stage 2)

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
When the rear shocks go back I'm going to replace them with upgraded Bilstein shocks with reservoirs. They will ride better than even the expensive Stage 2 rear shocks.

OP
OP
Catchin Zs

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gotcha, are those the 5160s? And i'm not sure if those will fit on a 3rd gen, I havnt heard of that. By the way your truck is sick man.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Bilstein has a 51xx for the back, then a couple models with the reservoirs. I think it's like 5600 and 7000 but don't quote me on that. I'm sure they have something similar for your truck, if it's not the same shock. I know you just have to make sure to get the travel right for once it's lifted. I don't remember what it is right off hand for a 6" lift at the moment.

Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
Catchin Zs

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so now my dilemma: I have 17x9 wheels, and the pro comp lift says I need at least 18s. However, Rancho says the ones I have right now will fit and I want to put a 6 inch and eventually a 3 inch body and some 37s so..

rjward7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I am in the market for a lift right now. I am looking at the bds or the superlift. The superlift is super expensive, so I don't know if it is worth the extra money. Right now I am leaning towards the bds because they have been around, decent price, and the warranty is second to none from what I hear. Also for my 2010 the bds kit comes with new brake lines.

OP
OP
Catchin Zs

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read above what I said about the wheel sizes. I'm not sure if I can use my 17s with a pro comp.. :(

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
You might call them to verify. I'm sure you can run 17s with the proper backspacing and offset. They should be able to tell you what hits and what fits with that kit.

I called a few weeks back with a question about the stage 2 kit and got a really helpful guy that had an answer to all my questions. No doubt that he knew his stuff about their products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500