Narrowing down my lift choices-assistance is greatly appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in the very middle of my lift research. Still undecided on a 4" or 6" lift. Listed below are some that I looked at with my limited knowledge point of view. Assistance is greatly appreciated

1. Zone/BDS 6" - MANY folks absolutely love this kit. Seems like an awesome system, albeit quite expensive. I don't mind spending a bit extra IF I get the ride I'm looking for and the performance on road this truck already provides. I'd opt for the Fox rear shocks, with the 3" springs and Fox front struts. I see you can get the Bilsteins on all 4 corners, or you can reuse your stock front struts and opt for Fox or Bilsteins in the rear. REALLY considering the system.

2. Superlift/Mopar 4"- Strongly considering this lift as well. Seems like a complete kit at a reasonable price. I think I'd opt for the Bilsteins and maybe even get the MOPAR kit and let Dodge install to keep my warranty. I bought this truck last week and purchased an additional bumper to bumper warranty.

3. AEV 4"-From what I've read on the AEV site you get Bilsteins constructed to work with the AEV system, or so they allege. You keep your OEM springs so the 4" ride height is universal across all installs and they claim you keep the comfy on road ride. I've not yet read any feedback from anyone in here yet with this kit in regards to on road comfort. I'm sure it's more than capable off road, coming from AEV. Would consider this kit with some real world comments.

4. Redilift 4"- Seems like am inexpensive way to get 4" of height to run 35's. My concern is the driveline angles without adding extra parts. Once you start adding control arms, updraded shocks like Bilsteins and the like the price starts to creep up into the more complete kits listed above. This seems alot like the Rancho 2" Sport lift I installed on our 2010 JKUR. Probably not getting this kit.

PLEASE feel free to add suggestions to other lifts and comments to my take on the systems I listed above.

I installed front coil spacers, rear add a leafs with bigger blocks on a 98 Dodge 1500 I had years ago and was not at all happy with the ride after. Shuttered on take off due to the transfer case/driveline angles. The truck looked awesome with 35's, the ride not so awesome. I'd like to stay away from the debacle I got myself into with that truck on this truck.

Concerning lift choices 1,2 and 3 is there a warranty from those manufacturers? If so what does it cover and has anyone had to use it?

Sorry for the book, I expect to spend a bit of cash so I wanna be completely confident in my choice.

Thank you

Bob

Last edited:

OceanRescue01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the very middle of my lift research. Still undecided on a 4" or 6" lift. Listed below are some that I looked at with my limited knowledge point of view. Assistance is greatly appreciated

1. Zone/BDS 6" - MANY folks absolutely love this kit. Seems like an awesome system, albeit quite expensive. I don't mind spending a bit extra IF I get the ride I'm looking for and the performance on road this truck already provides. I'd opt for the Fox rear shocks, with the 3" springs and Fox front struts. I see you can get the Bilsteins on all 4 corners, or you can reuse your stock front struts and opt for Fox or Bilsteins in the rear. REALLY considering the system.

2. Superlift/Mopar 4"- Strongly considering this lift as well. Seems like a complete kit at a reasonable price. I think I'd opt for the Bilsteins and maybe even get the MOPAR kit and let Dodge install to keep my warranty. I bought this truck last week and purchased an additional bumper to bumper warranty.

3. AEV 4"-From what I've read on the AEV site you get Bilsteins constructed to work with the AEV system, or so they allege. You keep your OEM springs so the 4" ride height is universal across all installs and they claim you keep the comfy on road ride. I've not yet read any feedback from anyone in here yet with this kit in regards to on road comfort. I'm sure it's more than capable off road, coming from AEV. Would consider this kit with some real world comments.

4. Redilift 4"- Seems like am inexpensive way to get 4" of height to run 35's. My concern is the driveline angles without adding extra parts. Once you start adding control arms, updraded shocks like Bilsteins and the like the price starts to creep up into the more complete kits listed above. This seems alot like the Rancho 2" Sport lift I installed on our 2010 JKUR. Probably not getting this kit.

PLEASE feel free to add suggestions to other lifts and comments to my take on the systems I listed above.

I installed front coil spacers, rear add a leafs with bigger blocks on a 98 Dodge 1500 I had years ago and was not at all happy with the ride after. Shuttered on take off due to the transfer case/driveline angles. The truck looked awesome with 35's, the ride not so awesome. I'd like to stay away from the debacle I got myself into with that truck on this truck.

Concerning lift choices 1,2 and 3 is there a warranty from those manufacturers? If so what does it cover and has anyone had to use it?

Sorry for the book, I expect to spend a bit of cash so I wanna be completely confident in my choice.

Thank you

Bob

Hey Bob,
I have the BDS 6” with fox shocks in the rear, stock up front (for now). I absolutely love the ride and look of the truck. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any lift that says that you will use stock coil springs will have a spacer to create part of the lift. It used to be that using spacers to lift a truck would change how the truck rode/handled in some way, as you experienced. These days, a spacer isn’t as bad as a lot of people use them to level their trucks so that they can add bigger tires and are very happy with them. I’ve done that myself with my last Chevy and a GMC before that. So, don’t think a spacer is a bad thing any more.

With that being said, I have the Rough Country 4” lift and I’m riding on 35x12.5r17 tires and everyone that rides in my truck said it rides like a Cadillac as it’s very smooth. Rough Country is 1 of the cheaper lift kits. I love it. I did choose to go with ProComp shocks and struts from 4 Wheel Parts and they are much better than the Rancho option that came with the lift. I think my second choice would be the BDS/Zone lift kit. Make sure whatever kit you get comes with an adjustable track bar in back and some upgraded rear upper and lower control arms as well as front upper control arms with a greater range of angles as the front stock upper control arms are known to bind at greater angles. Get the rear track bar so that your back end is aligned with your front and so you don’t have 1 rear wheel sticking out farther than the other.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got a ProComp 6” lift and like it. No complaints about the kit.

Funny enough, the only part about my lift that I dislike wasn’t actually a part of my lift kit. The part I don’t like is the one thing that is (for some reason) raved about on this forum.....It’s the Bilstein 5100s that I already had before the lift that I can’t stand.

so what I’m trying to say is I think you’ll be just fine with any of the lift kit brands (ProComp, zone, super lift, etc). But what I would be picky about is the strut/shock choices you make. Because that’s an area you’ll actually feel a difference.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I am at 4" with the combination of Bilsteins set at 0 with Eibach springs ( 2.5" plus ) and a 1.5" Body lift on my 2017. Rides much better than OE springs on Bilsteins at 1.4. If You need more you could use a 3" body lift like my 2014 has with 5100s . May be a little more work this way but also easier to return to stock if the need ever comes up. Just another option for less money ..

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Thank you

Bob

Go with Mopar to avoid killing any warranty you've already paid for.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the 4" Superlift…..had it since my 2016 was new. It's been flawless.

Initially I didn't have the Bilstein 5100's up front and had a bit of a rake still. A couple of years ago I got the Bils and am super happy how the truck turned out with the addition.

I originally had the factory on front and the ride was a little clunky over big bumps with my mud terrain 35's. The Bilsteins resolved that issue....beautifully smooth ride now.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Also keep in mind you can mix and match parts. For example if you got the dealer to install the Mopar branded superlift to keep your warranties intact (Get this in writing from your dealer 1st) then you can later get Fox or any custom length coilover's that will work up front and appropriate shocks for the rear. For a middle of the road up front I'd lean towards using 6112's with which ever lift you decide on and pair them with Fox 2.0's in the back like many have done here. If you want to spend the least upfront then reusing the OE strut's or putting some cheap 5100's on with the lift is the way to go while you decide what you want to do about suspension.

As I've mentioned before in some past posts you should look at the lift purely in the context of raising the ride height and correcting suspension geometry. The ride quality is going to come from the shocks you choose so long as the lift has ensured your geometry is all squared up so they can work the way they're supposed to.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I’m running Fabtech’s 6” lift. I didn’t do the front coilovers like I would have liked and have everything installed in one shot. No complaints as I replaced the stupid struts I had and she’s riding smooth! Oh, everything if kept in stock geometry. Alignments are set to stock and there is no droop in control arms angles. CV angles are crisp, little angle, but nothing to worry about or cause issues.

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Ready Lift 4” leveling/lift kit in my 2012 and have had no problems with it. I bought it when they were having a sale at the time and it was a budget-friendly option for me. I couldn’t blow 4-5k on a 6” kit like I wanted to due to more important financial obligations at the time.

The kit comes with everything you need to keep the geometry correct. I have 35x12.50R17’s and have had no clearance/rubbing issues at all. I replaced the front struts with OEM and replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein’s that Ready Lift recommended. It rides smooth. The only complaint I have is, there is still a slight rake with this kit for towing/hauling purposes. You can’t add adjustable struts to front end to completely level it or it will cause issues with the upper ball joint/control arm angles.

All in all a good kit for the money, my neighbor and I installed it in an afternoon.

c856116aa4cf27ea35cf1c3d92ad6526.jpg
7c45b5140b956c0503b189e7a13bd009.jpg
092dd11f1098931667fd67a506fee0dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RJL1

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got a ProComp 6” lift and like it. No complaints about the kit.

Funny enough, the only part about my lift that I dislike wasn’t actually a part of my lift kit. The part I don’t like is the one thing that is (for some reason) raved about on this forum.....It’s the Bilstein 5100s that I already had before the lift that I can’t stand.

so what I’m trying to say is I think you’ll be just fine with any of the lift kit brands (ProComp, zone, super lift, etc). But what I would be picky about is the strut/shock choices you make. Because that’s an area you’ll actually feel a difference.

I like that you kept your stock wheels. I'm gonna do the same. Your truck looks awesome! What are your fender measurements? Looks tall. I'm not sure I want to be that high. I don't want to have to go any bigger than 35's.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like that you kept your stock wheels. I'm gonna do the same. Your truck looks awesome! What are your fender measurements? Looks tall. I'm not sure I want to be that high. I don't want to have to go any bigger than 35's.
I think the front is a hair above 45.5” and the rear is right under 45.75”

They’re 35” nittos on the oem wheels with 1.25” wheel spacers

I think this pic was before putting the Bils higher. This was .7 setting and they’re now on 2.8 to get the above listed measurements. It’s pretty much dead level now and I like it better.
CBA70203-504C-4EF0-A25E-AEFAE339A914.jpeg

EDIT:
Here’s a pic of the current rake/stance
312084B8-8444-43B8-A83B-3EEFBDB5B7D6.jpeg

OP
OP
RJL1

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the measurements. Your rig looks great! Awesome color and like I said the stock rims look awesome too.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My only issue with my superlift beside the fact it rusted right away is the sway bar end links were a joke.

Stay away from spacer lifts. those things are junk.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4” Superlift, Bills @.7, factory 20x9’s with 35’s (no spacers and no rub).

Might be more pics in my online album, lost most of my good one when my phone &$@&!?!$!??!!!

4CB2E275-CDDC-4837-9663-98FC61424853.jpeg