Programmers and reflashes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitro_rat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 09 2500 with the 5.7 hemi. It’s the “STX” package, so pretty basic. It came with 245/70r17’s and no fog lights. I have added the fog lights (headlight switch, lights, and the bumper harness, wiring was already there on the chassis) and swapped to 265/70r17’s.

I have spoken to a few dealers and one said they would turn on the fogs for $105, they weren’t sure if they could do anything about the tire size, but said they would try for another $105. Come on, one hookup to the computer. I’m not paying you another hundred bucks to “try”...

I called another dealer and they said that there is no way to change the tire size, it’s locked to the vin. I really find this hard to believe. It’s the stock tire size that MOST of these trucks came with from the factory.

The speedometer calibration is the main issue here, so I’m not paying the dealer to turn on the fog lights if I’m going to have to buy a programmer anyway.

So I guess my first question is if it is possible for some dealer to reset my tire size? I’m willing to travel to make this happen (anywhere in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Louisiana, maybe farther)?

If not, and I have to buy a programmer, what is the cheapest option that will let me turn on my fog lights and recalibrate the speedometer?

I’m not really interested in using the performance “tune” part of the programmer at all especially if it won’t let me set the shift points (and it’s my understanding that most or all programmers do not).

What's the deal here?

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That can't be true... Call another shop

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A foglight reflash is done at the dealer's shop.

The tire size adjustment can be made at a dealer's shop up to certain diameters/sizes.

I think your dealer's service advisor is misinformed or lazy.

OP
OP
N

nitro_rat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A foglight reflash is done at the dealer's shop.

The tire size adjustment can be made at a dealer's shop up to certain diameters/sizes.

I think your dealer's service advisor is misinformed or lazy.

This is my impression also.

I ended up ordering a “reconditioned” Superchips FlashCal (I think) for about $135 on ebay. It is supposed to do fog lights and tires, tps, and also eliminate the 3 blinks when you bump the turn signal stalk. Didn’t even know you could kill that feature!

I’ll update once I get it, I have had good luck with a used superchips programmer I was given in the past. Hopefully this will do the trick!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
N

nitro_rat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for the delay, but here’s the update. The flashcal will adjust for tire size, gear ratio, transfer case low range ratio, tpms set point, and it will adjust your idle speed as long as it’s connected. It will also read and clear codes.

No dice on programming lights though. I’m keeping it though for the idle up. I like to use it while winching!