Pullin the bed to Lose weight and gain MPGs!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L 295 CI Magnum V6 :(
im playing with the idea of pulling my bed off to Lose the extra weight and Gain a few Extra MPGs i know it aint hard but im worried about how Ugly it might be!!!!

Anybody got any pics of a ram with NO bed????

and if you got any ideas for a Light Weight Cheap way to make it a Flat bed that would be cool to and as always Pics are Even Better!!!! Haha

Thanks In Advanced Yall!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy107::happy107::happy107:

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know its a truck!!:upyours: :roflsquared::roflsquared::roflsquared:

the bed is in pretty rough shape anyway So ive been thinking about it for a while now..

Anyway i Love my Ram and wouldnt even Think about trading it for anything!!!

(You can set my truck on Fire and roll it down a Hill and i still wouldnt trade it for a Coupe Deville ~ Joe Diffie)

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
[yt]2tztrL9huVI[/yt]

To remove the bed! 6 bolts, tailights disconnected, spare tire removed, fuel neck removed, and stupid ground strap that I didn't see until we were trying to lift the bed up... removed. This was quad cab however, and an 05, so it might be a little different on yours.

Good luck, but it's still not a good idea to remove the bed to save mpg's.

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a thought still nothing set is Stone yet... I know its gonna have to come off sooner or later when i Paint it so idk yet.... Ill get pics if i do thanks for the Vid/Pics... It doesnt look too bad I guess!!!!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Look into local laws. Here you can't drive a truck without a bed or atleast some kind of wheel well

My buddy had a Toyota pickup with a really nice wooden flat bed
It was heavier then his regular bed and most flat beds will be
You'd be surprised how much they actually weigh, two people can carry one

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Idk if its Legal here or not... Ive seen Multiple people around here driving Beat to $H!T trucks without beds but i know that doesnt make it legal....

and i would expect flat beds to be Lighter because of less area but i guess i can kinda see why..

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The chances of getting better MPGs are moot. Maybe around town you'd see .5 or so better. Anything above about 50 and you'd see a nasty drop. The bed helps clean up the trailing wake of the cab (tailgate UP).

Didn't you just LIFT your truck?

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i did just lift it and the more i think about it the more i dont wanna take it off FOR GOOD but it will be coming off soon so it can be painted then Most likly going back on

magnum318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
+1 on leaving the bed on with the tailgate UP for fuel savings. Mythbusters tested and confirmed it compared to tailgate down. With the tailgate down, the wind came off the cab and pushed down on the open tailgate which increased the drag.

If you want to see fuel savings you might have better luck by removing the tailgate all together or by installing a tonneau cover.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Want better than 14 to 16 mpg..... buy a 4cyl 5 speed car. Seriously I understand about the MPG I try and get the best poss out of mine <which is to date 16MPG> But I also own a 1992 chevy Caviler that gets 35 MPG <4cyl 5 speed> i drive that back an forth to school and most any place I dont need my truck. Would I rather drive my truck? HELL YES but when $40 fills my cavi tank for a week <110 miles a day> and it takes over $100 a week with the truck, well you do the math.

Now on to your bed, take it off and you lose MPG do to wind, lose traction and tail lights. Now you got to watch how you drive and put a set of tail lights on which means you need to rig up wireing or rig up mounts if you reuse stock lights. To me not really worth it. If your bed is that rusted and beat up replace it, or better yet call the rust "weight reduction" =)

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll also add that any potential fuel savings would be moot when a tire throws a rock through your back window.

jboogsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500
Engine
5.9l v8 magnum
ive seen beds off of trucks and they do nothing for mpg and as far as looks egh lets not go there lol but ive seen flat beds that weigh less than a box but they are alum. and quite expensive and there only like 30 to 50 lbs lighter but they look nice tho

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
try pulling a couple spark plugs out before pulling off the bed :)

OP
OP
MvZiC MaN

MvZiC MaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well i did Pull the Bed off today... But its going back on in a few weeks after i Finish The Body work and Painting it

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got pics in case anyone else is interested in doing this?