PUP 0-40

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is straight PUP 0-40 ok to run in the 5.7 Hemi? Should I mix 5-30? What's the benefit of mixing the two instead of straight 0-40? I'm also using the SRT oil filter for my next oil change. Any advice is apreciated.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would run 0w40 PUP in my truck.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If you were going to bother I wouldn’t mix them. The Pennzoil 0-40 is excellent as is. Just curious how come you want to run it? A good synthetic 5-30 would be plenty fine for the 5.7. You’d save a few bucks lol. Changing the oil 3 times a year between two PUP required vehicles adds up for me.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a noisy Hemi. I'm going with the PUP 0-w40 because of the moly count. All the reading I do on here says it's good for our Hemis and can quiet them. But I always hear of guys mixing the weights. Wondering if any one was running the straight PUP 0-w40 and wanted to share their experience.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve done 4qts 0-40 and 3 qts 5-20 with success if you’re worried about viscosity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m gonna run PUP 5/30 in mine when it comes in vs the 5/20 I was running. Delivery date was June 5th and I can’t wait that long. It was on Amazon for 25, and the other 2qts were 16. Then a RP filter was also 15. So a little less then $60 for all synthetic oil and a good filter is worth it. Hopefully the 5/30 doesn’t give me any headaches.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
5w30 is what alot of guys are running with zero problems.

When guys mix oil weights most times they do so for the different additive package thats in one or the other of the weights.
jmo.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I'm no chemist and the synthetic oil thread is way to long to read. I figure if PUP 0w-40 is good for the SRT program should be good for the 5.7 Hemi. I wish someone would chime in that used it in their Ram.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Stone: I was one of the 1st to pour in 6Qts PUP SRT 0W40 & 1Qt PUP 5W-30.
I remember it like it was yesterday! Many members thought I was insane. So concerned about the MDS = (Hogwash)

I only ran the SRT 0W-40 (Strictly) for the large amount of Tri-Nuclear Moly not the viscosity. The viscosity had nothing to do with it.
In hopes of keeping the lifter tick at bay. (Preventive Maintenance If you will).

The SRT Team/Pennzoil knows the importance of Moly to these motors: Thus they worked together in creating this oil.
None of the other PUP oils contain even close to the amount of Moly this oil holds within its Additive Package. If PUP 5W-30 or PP 5W-30 had held the same amount? I would have run either one.

My 5.7L was extremely quiet & stayed that way.
Like posted above————>It was all about the very robust Additive package of the SRT 0W-40 Not the viscosity.

I feel it’s a great choice for the 5.7L.
Ran it year round.

Most might disagree: I personally don’t give 3 $hits.
Most never tried it & never experienced the smoothness & quietness of my 5.7L.
But I Did! That’s all that matters to me.

I was not a simple minded follower!

One more note: I never experienced any sluggishness. (Even in the winter months).
Maybe I’m just not as sensitive as some? (Thank Ya Jesus)!
Remember this oil is on the verge of a heavy 30Wt.
It is far from your normal 40Wt.

One more thing: Ya Ya I know———>Shut the **** up SyN!
You don’t have to run 6 or 7 quarts of the SRT 0W-40 the first time if you feel a little uneasy.
I bought my first case = 6Qts & added 3qts with 4Qts of PUP 5W-30.
This way a case would do 2 OCIs. (Had ZERO issues)!
Then after the second OCI I went full blown **** & run 6Qts with Zero Regrets.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Is straight PUP 0-40 ok to run in the 5.7 Hemi? Should I mix 5-30? What's the benefit of mixing the two instead of straight 0-40? I'm also using the SRT oil filter for my next oil change. Any advice is apreciated.

Oil Viscosity (Oil Thickness) is an important decision when choosing your oil, regardless of oil brand. Because all engines are constructed with “very specific” clearances between internal engine components. Those clearances are determined by the engine designers (engineers) and that’s why they give you the recommended oil weight. So why is this important? It’s because internal engine components are cooled by oil “Directly” and cooled by the coolant “Indirectly”. So running a thicker oil than what is recommended is a bad idea in most cases. Because oil “flow” through internal engine clearances is critical for proper lubrication and to pull heat from internal engine components. The engine oil temperature in these areas of the engine can be 50-90 degrees “Hotter” than oil sump temperatures; thinner oils flow better than thicker oils pulling more heat from internal engine components. I tested this by switching from manufacturer (Dodge Ram) recommended 5w20 to 5w30 while canyon racing in the North Georgia mountains, and my oil sump temperatures were 16 degrees “Hotter” on average running the thicker oil. Why? Because thicker oil’s flow “slower” through internal engine components and get hotter, driving up bearing temperatures, reach or exceed the oils thermal stability, lubricate less affectively and pull less heat from your engine. Thicker oils do provide options with mechanical noise, but mechanical noise doesn’t necessarily mean there is a problem with the engine; usually just annoys the vehicle owner. In addition, I wrote certified letters to the Dodge Ram manufacturing plant in Mexico, corporate office in Ann Arbor Michigan and corporate office in London United Kingdom and asked them what oil viscosity was recommended specific to the cam and bearing clearances on the 4th gen Hemi. And to my surprise I got a response; they gave me the cam and bearing clearances and only recommend 5w20; no surprise. Engineers know what they’re doing, and they know what oil viscosity is ideal. Bottom line, stick with the recommended oil weight from the manufacturer, unless you live/work in extreme cold climates were thinner oils (0Wxx) will serve you better. Oil temperatures while daily driving to work with the 5w30 was only a minimal 2-3 degrees hotter than the 5w20. With that said, I think you will be ok with a 30w oil “IF” your truck is a daily driver; if your racing I would recommend the manufactures recommendation 5w20. The 40w oil is too think considering the Cam and bearing clearances.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Stone: I was one of the 1st to pour in 6Qts PUP SRT 0W40 & 1Qt PUP 5W-30.
I remember it like it was yesterday! Many members thought I was insane. So concerned about the MDS = (Hogwash)

I only ran the SRT 0W-40 (Strictly) for the large amount of Tri-Nuclear Moly not the viscosity. The viscosity had nothing to do with it.
In hopes of keeping the lifter tick at bay. (Preventive Maintenance If you will).

The SRT Team/Pennzoil knows the importance of Moly to these motors: Thus they worked together in creating this oil.
None of the other PUP oils contain even close to the amount of Moly this oil holds within its Additive Package. If PUP 5W-30 or PP 5W-30 had held the same amount? I would have run either one.

My 5.7L was extremely quiet & stayed that way.
Like posted above————>It was all about the very robust Additive package of the SRT 0W-40 Not the viscosity.

I feel it’s a great choice for the 5.7L.
Ran it year round.

Most might disagree: I personally don’t give 3 $hits.
Most never tried it & never experienced the smoothness & quietness of my 5.7L.
But I Did! That’s all that matters to me.

I was not a simple minded follower!

One more note: I never experienced any sluggishness. (Even in the winter months).
Maybe I’m just not as sensitive as some? (Thank Ya Jesus)!
Remember this oil is on the verge of a heavy 30Wt.
It is far from your normal 40Wt.

One more thing: Ya Ya I know———>Shut the **** up SyN!
You don’t have to run 6 or 7 quarts of the SRT 0W-40 the first time if you feel a little uneasy.
I bought my first case = 6Qts & added 3qts with 4Qts of PUP 5W-30.
This way a case would do 2 OCIs. (Had ZERO issues)!
Then after the second OCI I went full blown **** & run 6Qts with Zero Regrets.

How long now have you been running the PUP 0-40? Would be interesting to see you run full 7 qts of it lol. If you haven't had any issues at all thus far I don't see the full 7 would really break the camels back.

The oil is kind of expensive and a bit hard to find (I usually just order on Amazon or from Steve White on eBay) but it’s nice to see a very high quality oil be developed in partnership with SRT specifically for the Hemis. I suspect the main reason they don’t bother officially spec’ing it to the 5.7 is because it is the bread and butter Hemi and it does just fine with the 5-30. Most owners would probably be pissed if they had to put in a more expensive/hard to find oil. I don’t ever see the stuff at my local Walmart or chain stores. Either it sells out the second they get a few boxes or they just don't stock it.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 6.7L CTD now.
Traded my 2014 in for her.

I used Amazon for my supplier of 0W-40!
Shipped to my door in 2 days.
No Tax / No Shipping
One thing to note: My UOA come back after 4K miles.
Extremely low wear numbers / quite a bit below the normal average. In my eyes (Case Closed.)

The thicker viscosity & clearance issues as well as the engines being built or created to run on a specific viscosity of oil is far more bogus in my eyes. I would much rather have the extra film strength protecting my tight clearances then I would the extra mile per gallon or wishful thinking due to a thinner Viscosity oil.
The results from my UOA proved this to me.

One thing I have preached here since I arrived: Every one of these 5.7L & 6.4L hemi engines have & carry a totally different personality! {Just like our Kids we create}!

Baring what anyone thinks these hemi motors where not ALL created equal.
(Exact & Precise Though out). Which will cause EACH ONE to react & perform differently to each different situation (Change) be it large or small.

Just because a certain 1 product SEEMS to be doing a exceptional job within your hemi does not mean by any means it will have the same results in another members hemi.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yea I'm no chemist and the synthetic oil thread is way to long to read. I figure if PUP 0w-40 is good for the SRT program should be good for the 5.7 Hemi. I wish someone would chime in that used it in their Ram.

I can sum up this summer oil thread for you. Many folk are running 5-30 redline and have successfully quited the hemi tick. That being said, I use 5-20 pup and my engine is smooth and quite.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How long now have you been running the PUP 0-40? Would be interesting to see you run full 7 qts of it lol. If you haven't had any issues at all thus far I don't see the full 7 would really break the camels back.

The oil is kind of expensive and a bit hard to find (I usually just order on Amazon or from Steve White on eBay) but it’s nice to see a very high quality oil be developed in partnership with SRT specifically for the Hemis. I suspect the main reason they don’t bother officially spec’ing it to the 5.7 is because it is the bread and butter Hemi and it does just fine with the 5-30. Most owners would probably be pissed if they had to put in a more expensive/hard to find oil. I don’t ever see the stuff at my local Walmart or chain stores. Either it sells out the second they get a few boxes or they just don't stock it.
I don't mind paying the money for a little peace of mind. Who uses the SRT oil filter? Any fees back would be great. I am doing my oil change this weekend.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I run the SRT filter on my Ram and 392 Charger. It was originally designed for the Viper and has trickled down. It is wider than the standard Mopar filters. Chrysler engineers say it flows a lot better and work on all gen 3 Hemi. Probably wouldn’t REALLY see a benefit from it unless you were on a track. But I find them for a few extra bucks than the standard Mopar filters. So why not. Especially on SRT powered cars.