Purge valve solenoid on and off tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve done some research and I have a ticking noise that’s goes on and off intermittently that I noticed at idle. Read that the purge valve activates to release fumes and it’s most likely that. I thought it was noisy injectors at first but the fact it stops every so often then comes back leads me to believe otherwise. Does this sound likely?

OP
OP
M

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never noticed mine clicking…I replaced mine a month or so ago.
I’m not positive it’s making the noise but I read it’s possible. Could maybe be on its ways out? Cheap part so it’s not a huge deal if it’s the problem. Just weird how I’ll be standing in front of the truck and it’ll be quiet then start making the click/tick. Same with it stopping the noise. I’ll have to dial it in and really see how long it stays on for and how long.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not positive it’s making the noise but I read it’s possible. Could maybe be on its ways out? Cheap part so it’s not a huge deal if it’s the problem. Just weird how I’ll be standing in front of the truck and it’ll be quiet then start making the click/tick. Same with it stopping the noise. I’ll have to dial it in and really see how long it stays on for and how long.
Was your AC or defrost on when you were listening?

OP
OP
M

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was your AC or defrost on when you were listening?
Could be defrost! I keep my heat to the floor/defrost option most often. Excuse my ignorance but would that turn on the clutch and make that noise?

OP
OP
M

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a good scanner or AlphaOBD you can actuate the purge valve with the KOEO and hear just how loud it is/isn't. Then you could do the same for the A/C clutch and listen to hear if that is what you're actually hearing.
Good advice sir! I’ll try and get to a buddies shop being I have a simple BlueDriver scanner.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Shut off your HVAC system using the controls in the cab,
then listen for the clicking

Purge valves are not that hard to pull
once out, try to blow through it, if you can blow through it, go buy a new one

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Could be defrost! I keep my heat to the floor/defrost option most often. Excuse my ignorance but would that turn on the clutch and make that noise?

Yes. When in defrost, even though it's cold out, the AC compressor clutch is cycled to keep the refrigerant and oil circulated through the system year round.

OP
OP
M

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks fellas! When I get a free chance I’ll check to verify.

OP
OP
M

Marshalljud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sat outside the truck and waited for the tick to come and it is confirmed the purge valve. Held my finger on it and it pulses quite a bit which I’m sure may be normal but I don’t think the sound it makes is. Going to replace and see if it quiets down.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. When in defrost, even though it's cold out, the AC compressor clutch is cycled to keep the refrigerant and oil circulated through the system year round.
The AC compressor runs in defrost to send dry air to the windshield. Has nothing to do with cycling refrigerant and oil. Otherwise it would cycle all the time.