Putting truck back to stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

It has been a long time since I have been on the forums.

I am putting my truck back to stock in the next couple weeks. Just a heads up that I’ll be selling all the parts of my lowering kit.

Reason why I am putting truck back to stock is I really need a crew cab. I think I’m going to try out the new 2018 f150 5.0. I have been reading that the new 10 speed with the 5.0 is a much better tranny for that motor.

I do love my Ram R/T and get complimented on it all the time, but I need some more functionality now (I.e. space...)

Side note: I saw a video of 2018 f150 5.0 reg cab run a 13.3 in the 1/4 stock. I still think the hemi 5.7 is the best sounding truck motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea 1 of the new rc 5.0/10 speed trucks is tempting. There are some already running DEEP into the 12's.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So when I was putting truck back to stock, ran into major issues with the front upper control arm ball joint.

I could not get the damn thing out. I tapped on the spindle next to the ball joint, I tapped on the bottom of the ball joint bolt... nothing.

I got it out last time tapping on the bottom of the ball joint bolt. In my desperation of tapping on the bottom of the bolt (I had the nut unthreaded as low as possible to provide a platform to hit against, as opposed to the actual bolt itself.

Well, it just messed up the nut and stripped some of the thread on the upper ball joint bolt thread.

We tried harbor freight, Oreilly, autozone, Home Depot for a tap and die set. No one had what we needed. Finally ended up at northern tool and was able to get a tap and die kit that had what we needed.

Got home and was able to fix the threads enough to get the nit back on. Hallelujah.

I hate working on the suspension. There is always some **** that goes wrong.

I did everything YouTube videos talk about, short of using a pickle fork, which apparently would damage the boot to the ball joint.

What technique do you guys use for getting the upper control arm to drop out of the ball joint?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a jack about 1" under the lower control arm(so when it seperates it doesnt fly apart or bust the brake line). Then I loosen the ball joint nut but still leave it on, just loosen it. I spray the ball joint/control arm w/ PB Blaster, tap on it a few times then walk away for the night. Come back the next morning and after 1 or 2 hits it comes loose. Then take the nut all the way off, lower the jack slowly and thats it.

Last edited:

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a jack about 1" under the lower control arm(so when it seperates it doesnt fly apart or bust the break line. Then I loosen the ball joint nut but still leave it on, just loosen it. I spray the ball joint/control arm w/ PB Blaster, tap on it a few times then walk away for the night. Come back the next morning and after 1 or 2 hits it comes loose. Then take the nut all the way off, lower the jack slowly and thats it.

I do the same thing. Works every time.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a jack about 1" under the lower control arm(so when it seperates it doesnt fly apart or bust the brake line). Then I loosen the ball joint nut but still leave it on, just loosen it. I spray the ball joint/control arm w/ PB Blaster, tap on it a few times then walk away for the night. Come back the next morning and after 1 or 2 hits it comes loose. Then take the nut all the way off, lower the jack slowly and thats it.

Wow. That sounds a lot easier and more pleasant than my experience. Well, I am probably getting an F-150 and I will not be doing anything suspension related to it, so I do not believe I will have to do this again. Though if I do, I will try you technique.

You know, other than the front upper ball joint and the rear upper shock mount bolt, the drop kit is not hard to install. Though prior to me putting the truck back to stock I was definitely quite nervous.... I live in Houston and travel to San Antonio to work on the truck at a buddies place. (Lots of tools, plus a helping hand) Once I started and ended up striping that upper ball joint bolt thread I was VERY committed to getting the job done. I.E. I would not of been able to get the truck driveable to return back to Houston before work on Monday.

And after a tip someone posted regarding the rear upper shock mount bolt, that is easy now too.

Always have the right tool for the job..... even if you have to custom fab it.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What technique do you guys use for getting the upper control arm to drop out of the ball joint?

BFH on the knuckle works. Just make sure the nut comes off once before you start hitting such that the ball joint doesn't spin after you get it loose trying to remove the nut. if the jack stands are on the frame rails and suspension is in droop there should be enough force to let it pull away when you hit it.