Question about overspray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTXnME

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently had my truck Line-x'ed at a local dealer. It would seem that when they sprayed the bed, they didn't properly cover the rest of the truck, and now I have overspray on the cab roof, windshield, hood, and windows. . . . pretty much anywhere I there is a partially horizontal surface that the overspray could have settled. :help:

My big question here is this: Will a clay bar kit work to remove the overspray, or will it just succeed in grinding the grit from the line x through the clear coat of my truck?

I've used them before to remove tree sap/resin on other vehicles I've owned, but never tried to remove overspray.

I haven't bothered contacting the dealer that did the work, as the work was done about 2 weeks ago. I didn't examine the paint when I got the truck back, and was sick for a week. First day going to work, I was driving in rain and used the wipers, the scraping sound tipped me off to something not being right. I figure the dealer at this point will say "how can you prove it came from us." . . .

Anyway, thanks all in advance all. :favorites13:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd take it to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree--I'd take it back to them along with a couple of estimates from detail shops in the area showing how much they would charge to remove the overspray. I'm not sure that I would trust the same people that did the liner to remove the overspray. You can use a clay bar or a Nano towel to remove the overspray, however after you use the clay bar or nano towel, remember your paint is "naked" and needs either a good sealant and/or a good wax to protect the surface. Good luck--
Jay

OP
OP
VTXnME

VTXnME

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been a busy month.

So, I took the truck back to the dealer. He was actually really decent. I showed him the truck, he looked it all over and said a couple things.

1)The overspray was far too uniform in it's pattern to be from the Line-X process.
2)The overspray was not consistent with the material that Line-X is comprised of.

He showed me what the overspray around the booth looked like. He was correct, it didn't look anything like what was on my truck.

So I asked the guy what I could do to remove this, as I was now stuck for what caused the spray. He took a rag out that was soaked in denatured alcohol. It took whatever the overspray was right off.

So I've been working on small parts of the truck at a time, trying to get it back to clear paint. Every time I clean a position I end up washing the truck in the entire area as I don't want to leave denatured alcohol on it. :flame:

I gotta say, at this point I should retract my evilness against the Line-X dealer. :banghead:

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
So where did the over spray come from if it wasn't there before the line x? Did you just not notice it before? I hope the dealer didn't just pull a Jedi mind trick on you.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So where did the over spray come from if it wasn't there before the line x? Did you just not notice it before? I hope the dealer didn't just pull a Jedi mind trick on you.

Star%20wars_zps2vhkq0oo.jpg

Last edited:

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Try taking a clay bar to it, make sure you're very liberal when applying lubrication. Just be careful and keep folding the frequently to prevent marring.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A Nano towel would work also.
Jay