Question for Camper Towers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Going to be taking a trip out to Rocky Mountain National Park in late June pulling a #6000 travel trailer. Anybody have any experience on how the 5.7 hemi does at 10,000 feet pulling that much load? I have a 2016 Laramie 4x4 with tow package.. Well within weight limitations but was wondering about the altitude.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Not really familiar with the 1500 series Ram but as you stated, you are well with in weight capabilities of the truck. Depending upon which transmission you have, 6 or 8 speed, that will make a significant difference I think. As for elevation effects on the engine, I'm certain there will be some but shouldn't give you any problems. Just a couple of pre trip tips, make sure that your brakes are adjusted properly on the trailer, insure that all tires are inflated properly (cold), and last but not least, approach downhill grades with caution and lower speeds. They can be deceiving. Much easier to accelerate if you desire but slowing and or stopping will be much more difficult. Also watch out for wildlife as it is difficult to see them along the narrow roads with the grasses and such that they hide and graze in. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
And if you plan on driving slow, please pull over or off to let others pass. When people are working and have deadlines etc, slow tourists really screw **** up.
Your computer will adjust what's necessary. Use your tow/haul mode in the hills. Maybe install an aftermarket transmission cooler.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just keep an eye on your temps. Despite some of the power loss at altitude, the 8 speed is going to be a huge bonus. 3.21 or 3.92??

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You will have enough power to tow UP, be prepared that you will likely struggle at higher elevations to maintain 55mph, and you will likely NOT be able to maintain 55mph... but neither will a lot of the tractor trailers.

I would be more concerned with a half ton going DOWN the other side. Make sure you keep your speed down, downshift the transmission and don't overheat your brakes.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check yer oil after all yer climbing's done. Heard the little HEMI's like to drink it at the higher altitudes, especially under load. Very jealous, by the way. That'll be a fun run.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You will have enough power to tow UP, be prepared that you will likely struggle at higher elevations to maintain 55mph, and you will likely NOT be able to maintain 55mph... but neither will a lot of the tractor trailers.

I would be more concerned with a half ton going DOWN the other side. Make sure you keep your speed down, downshift the transmission and don't overheat your brakes.

I tow a lot in the mountains of Colorado. My 2009 1500 with hemi ran most mountain passes close to the speed limit with 8000# trailer. As the previous post says, going down, slow down, downshift (with many descents clear down in first or second) and apply your brakes sparingly. If you experience any trailer sway use the trailer brakes to straighten out the sway.
Another suggestion would be that if your truck is constantly hunting for a gear while going up slow down and lock in the lower gear. Transmission hunting= heat and causes trans. problems.

OP
OP
J

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for replies. I have 3.21 rear end. Great for mileage but hurts the tow capability some. Since the trailer is 2000# less than max tow I did not go with the 3.92 rear end.

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I towed roughly 9000# over Wolf Creek pass (I don't know what that elevation is) with a 2013 Express 4wd and at the longest pull I was confined to about 15-20 mph and had to leave it in 1st gear. But there was no issue with temps, just really, really slow going. I had the 3.21 as well. I am moving back to California in August and have since bought a 3500 with the 6.4 and lower gears.

OP
OP
J

jeffdawgfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wolf creek is pretty tough. I think it is about 7% grade for how many miles...

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You'll be fine. I tow an Airstream full-time. Up and down through that area, will be there again. I do have better gears, but heavy tires. Stay in the right and out of the left lane. It's a beautiful part of the country. Lots of free camping too.