Question RE: Bedlining your Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All

I know several of you painted bed liner or regular paint on your stainless steel running boards. I am thinking about painting my OEM boards w/Rust-O-Leum bed liner in a rattle can, sanding and using self etching spray primer. But I am open to other brands/methods.
To be quite frank it looks like a very simple 1 beer task. But as usual I will likely find a way to make it complicated and a 6 pack project.

My questions are:

1. How are yours holding up? How long ago did you do it?
2. Did you paint your boards when your boards were rust free?
3. What brand paint/bed liner did you use? Spray or roll on?
4. How did you prep them? Sand? Etching or regular Primer?
5. Did you have any related challenges or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. After I decide the brand/method and complete the job I will post pics & results but right now I need your input.

P.S. I did search the threads and did not find enough data to help.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have used the Rustoleum product on my in bed toolbox, and it’s holding up for that. IMO it’ll be OK for locations not getting a lot of heavy use E.G. if used where your foot goes I think it will wear through. Otherwise if there’s a rubber pad or traction surface in that area it’s fine for the remainder.

It’s basically textured paint. Not nearly as tough as real bedliner such as Line-X.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I did raptor liner on my rock sliders and the key to that stuff is prep prep prep. I sanded with 80 grit, cleaned it thoroughly, used the acid etch and adhesion promoter. I used the 4 bottle kit on my sliders and I got a solid 2 coats and a light 3rd. You'll get a bit of overspray. Its holding up well on the topside step portion of my sliders but it rips off in chunks on the bottom from hitting rocks. All in all was really easy to apply just the prep is time consuming.01b6f3fc7f88b5d472e97bd029cf37d4.jpg7abf8a74d7e8d68649dc8599cd281da5.jpgfe4eab31a951909dcb145f6b24054fcb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
850b3d4478e5a0ac947f41c52d7004f1.jpg

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Might be worth it to have a shop do it. I was thinking of having the rockpanels of my Jeep done. The guys at Line-X said that flaking and chipping would be covered. As said before, Prep is the ultimate factor in longevity. More $$$ but saves headaches in the long run. When I mentioned that I was thinking of the rockrails (Jeep), they also said it would be best to get the rails sandblasted bare so they would have a total start.

And on a side note, I had a primer only new hood and used /Rust-O-Leum bed liner. First I bought the pail and applicator and I would get roller marks. For such a flat surface, the consistency in looks was crap. Luckily at the time, we lived a couple of miles from Wally and I got 3 cans of the spray version and did a finally got a consistent texture. Looked great, but was getting chips. After the second hail storm and another hood replacement, I just went and got it painted.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Might be worth it to have a shop do it. I was thinking of having the rockpanels of my Jeep done. The guys at Line-X said that flaking and chipping would be covered. As said before, Prep is the ultimate factor in longevity. More $$$ but saves headaches in the long run. When I mentioned that I was thinking of the rockrails (Jeep), they also said it would be best to get the rails sandblasted bare so they would have a total start.

And on a side note, I had a primer only new hood and used /Rust-O-Leum bed liner. First I bought the pail and applicator and I would get roller marks. For such a flat surface, the consistency in looks was crap. Luckily at the time, we lived a couple of miles from Wally and I got 3 cans of the spray version and did a finally got a consistent texture. Looked great, but was getting chips. After the second hail storm and another hood replacement, I just went and got it painted.
The bottoms of mine I would venture to guess would hold up fine of I wasn't banging and sliding them into rocks. I dont remember the exact quote but getting them professionally done was ridiculously pricey

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
81f130d653452739e6a4df8880c72701.jpg
Had mine done with Bullet liner professionally at a shop. Cheap black running boards . Paid $100 for the boards and another 100$ for them to be Bullet lined and I had him spray some rust proofing inside them. This was 5 years ago. . Well worth it for me. I also had the same guy do my rocker panels a little later on. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sportznut

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff guys thanks & please keep it coming.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
81f130d653452739e6a4df8880c72701.jpg
Had mine done with Bullet liner professionally at a shop. Cheap black running boards . Paid $100 for the boards and another 100$ for them to be Bullet lined and I had him spray some rust proofing inside them. This was 5 years ago. . Well worth it for me. I also had the same guy do my rocker panels a little later on. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a great price! I feel like the place i called quoted me $350-400. $250 was my max past that i was doing it myself