questions about driving in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been running Duratracs on my 4x4s for 35 years. I have tried lots of other tires, but for an all round tire I keep going back to Duratracs. My 2021 2500, got 33" Duratracs when it had less than 3000 miles on it because the Firestone Transforce ATs that came on it were completely useless in mud.

Duratracs have been updated in the last three years. They have far more sipes, which helps on ice. They still aren't as good on ice as a true winter tire but they are better. In mud and snow no AT type tire can touch them. I have often been in snow deep enough to be pushing it with the front bumper, I have never needed chains. It is to the point I don't even carry them anymore. If you get into snow deep enough that you need chains, time to switch to a Snowmobile.;)

Another tip, Duratrac makes what is called a standard load tire specifically for the 1500s. It is not E rated like the ones used on 2500s and 3500s. It is quieter and rides quite a bit better, plus runs at lower air pressure.
35 years, really….. LMAO… too bad they were introduced in 2009…

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
35 years, really….. LMAO… too bad they were introduced in 2009…

Yes that is true, and before the Duratrac, Goodyear had a very similar tire in the Wrangler line. The 1996 Ram V10 in my signature line came with them on it from the factory. So you are correct, to be completely accurate I should have said I have been running Goodyear Wranglers for 35 years. Happy now?

69_XS29L

Reaction score
Ram Year
'95 2500 4x4 '03 OffRoad 1500 '85 W350 4spd
Engine
8L V-10, 5.7L Hemi, 360 4bbl
SilentArmor was the parallel/predecessor to DuraTrac, overlapped for awhile then Goodyear dropped the SAs. Superior tire, ran 4-5 sets off. Dealer in Winnemucca recommended DuraTracs as, getting better performance/longevity on sharp rock N Nevada mine roads. Made the mistake of buying one set of 8plys when 10s were out of stock. Never again. Two or three tire repairs per month when the treads wore down. Loved the SAs, love the Duras just as much.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
SilentArmor was the parallel/predecessor to DuraTrac, overlapped for awhile then Goodyear dropped the SAs. Superior tire, ran 4-5 sets off. Dealer in Winnemucca recommended DuraTracs as, getting better performance/longevity on sharp rock N Nevada mine roads. Made the mistake of buying one set of 8plys when 10s were out of stock. Never again. Two or three tire repairs per month when the treads wore down. Loved the SAs, love the Duras just as much.
Thanks, couldn't remember the name of the predecessor. Got my drivers license in 1969, lots of changes in automotive technology since then and the vast majority for the good. I can remember when 80,000 miles was miled out and a car that made it to 100,000 miles with the original motor and transmission was a huge deal. Now they go 250,000 no problem, better safety and comfort and a lot less maintenance required. When they say they don't make them like the used to, I say thank goodness.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Silent Armour is now called the AT/S. As of last year could you get limited size Silent Armour from GY.

The 90’s rams came with wrangler RT.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone that knows about Milford, PA? My grandparents had a house up at Twin Lakes (on the big lake). I grew up sailing a Sunfish in the summers there. My parents now have a house on the little lake.
I boat on Lake Wallenpaupack, a bit west of Milford. Probably a good 1/2 hour, maybe 40 minutes drive on I84. It's a nice decent size lake 13 miles long, 52 miles of shoreline.