RA1 to RA2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Tradesman with a RA1 radio with SiriusXM and bluetooth. I just got in nice RA2. Now I am sure there are several posts that would answer my question but since I am currently working on a graduate degree in business I just do not have a lot of spare time to research fitment, etc on this. What I need to know is is this a plug and play kind of swap out or will I have to make a trip to the dealer for some radio flashing and is the compass feature built into the radio or is there a separate module required to make it work? I know, questions questions questions! But thanks in advance everybody. RAM Forum is the best source of info!

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
It is 100% plug and play. I did it to my 17 Tradesman. However if you have the satellite radio activated you will have to call SiriusXM and give them the ID number for the RA2. The compass module is in the upper console and as far as I know nobody has been able to get a dealer to activate one that has been added. Also make sure you have the anti theft code. The dealer will give it to you but you need the VIN to the truck the radio was originally installed. There is a web site that will charge you to get it and all you need is the model and serial number.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two RA1 and RA2 units?

I have a 2016 Big Horn, and have been chasing down an 'issue' with my systems severe 'lack of bass' when comparing it to a friends 2015 Tradesman. Just had my truck into the dealer, and all they found was a difference in HUs, his is made by Harmon (I guess) and mine shows as Uconnect. I find that hard to believe, but it's either a difference in HU or the amp. He has a different amp P/N that I do.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought my question could easily be answered which may help me resolve my issue. If anyone else has ideas, please share. I did do the Pioneer upgrade (which made the bass 'tighter', as predicted)... but it's very strange that my friend has his bass in the EQ set at -2, and I have mine at +7 and it's still severely lacking in subwoofer power. The dealer was no help.

Thank you.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats OK GSchwizzy. Also folks does anybody know what the part number is for the wiring harness that connects the overhead console and runs in the headliner down the A-pillar down to the plug in the dash, and is that all that is required to connect a compass receiver module overhead to the RA2 radio? I found a compass receiver module for 99.00 on ebay. Geez, there sure is a lot of parts and harnesses to get something to work isnt there! LOL

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two RA1 and RA2 units?

I have a 2016 Big Horn, and have been chasing down an 'issue' with my systems severe 'lack of bass' when comparing it to a friends 2015 Tradesman. Just had my truck into the dealer, and all they found was a difference in HUs, his is made by Harmon (I guess) and mine shows as Uconnect. I find that hard to believe, but it's either a difference in HU or the amp. He has a different amp P/N that I do.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought my question could easily be answered which may help me resolve my issue. If anyone else has ideas, please share. I did do the Pioneer upgrade (which made the bass 'tighter', as predicted)... but it's very strange that my friend has his bass in the EQ set at -2, and I have mine at +7 and it's still severely lacking in subwoofer power. The dealer was no help.

Thank you.

Anyone have any thoughts? Still trying to decide on whether or not to buy a factory amp (different P/N) off Ebay to try...

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which system do you have.... base 6 speaker or Alpine system??? The base system has no amp and you can't just "add" the factory amp to it.

Michael Daly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 (Gas)
So, I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Tradesman with a RA1 radio with SiriusXM and bluetooth. I just got in nice RA2. Now I am sure there are several posts that would answer my question but since I am currently working on a graduate degree in business I just do not have a lot of spare time to research fitment, etc on this. What I need to know is is this a plug and play kind of swap out or will I have to make a trip to the dealer for some radio flashing and is the compass feature built into the radio or is there a separate module required to make it work? I know, questions questions questions! But thanks in advance everybody. RAM Forum is the best source of info!
Hey Sergeant, I just bought the RA2 on ebay. I installed it plug-n-play. Everything works fine. I had to get the anti-theft code from my dealer. It does not include a mic nor does the video feed supply to the radio (it is currently in the rearview mirror).
All aftermatket, youtube vids, and forums recommend getting a new rearview mirror with mics in it.
I am trying to find a wiring diagram that will show me where to splice in the (2) mic wires.
Did you have any luck? ~ Mike
ps- Also, aftermarket guy sells splice kit to send video from mirror to head unit.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Sergeant, I just bought the RA2 on ebay. I installed it plug-n-play. Everything works fine. I had to get the anti-theft code from my dealer. It does not include a mic nor does the video feed supply to the radio (it is currently in the rearview mirror).
All aftermatket, youtube vids, and forums recommend getting a new rearview mirror with mics in it.
I am trying to find a wiring diagram that will show me where to splice in the (2) mic wires.
Did you have any luck? ~ Mike
ps- Also, aftermarket guy sells splice kit to send video from mirror to head unit.
My RA1 had the bluetooth capability. The mic is in the rearview mirror. I ended up getting a pioneer in dash with a wiring harness and adapter that allows me to use all the factory capabilities. I also put a leather factory steering wheel with all the factory buttons. Everything works flawlessly

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Walker Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penti
Anyone have any thoughts? Still trying to decide on whether or not to buy a factory amp (different P/N) off Ebay to try...

I have no educated answer for you. I can tell you I just bought my 2014 1500 used and it had some pos Walmart DD aftermarket radio in it. After installing a VP2 (what it came with stock) it sounds like I added a subwoofer compared to before. I am pretty good with electronics/audio but don't know the reason why. To me, it is a significant difference in volume level as well as bass response and clarity. Sorry I can only offer anecdotes at this time, still too new to the truck to know. Oh, and I have the 6-speaker system.