Radiator / Coolant Flush Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've searched the forums about how to drain the coolant. I have a dumb question... everyone mentions the "radiator cap". I only see a cap on the small tank up top. Wheres the radiator cap? Is that it?

radiaotr_zpsab62d3cd.jpg

Thanks!

P.S. Just became the proud owner of an 03 Ram 1500 4.7L.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I'm an idiot... thought I was looking at a HEMI... yes the rad cap is when you have circled.

OP
OP
G

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there any easier way to fill the radiator other than using that small hose?

I just read on another dodge forum that the 03 radiators don't have a cap and spout

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The 03 hemi is the same, using an fill tank. 2004 the radiator cap moved to the corner of the radiator.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There are some great videos on U Tube, that deal with the cooling system like draining, flushing, refilling with coolant, and burping air out of the system to prevent overheating issues.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You fill the system with the reservoir cap (it's not a radiator cap) off with a cold running engine. There is a bleeder valve if you follow the upper radiator hose to the block (a hex valve). Be very careful not to over tighten it. Be sure to have the heater on high. Keep topping off until you reach the max level on the reservoir. And keep opening and closing the bleeder valve.

For best results, do this either on ramps (front) or facing up a steep hill. Also, keep squeezing the lower radiator hose, heater core hoses, and upper radiator hose.

After the system reaches full heat, close everything up.

After driving around for the next few days let the engine cool down, and burp the bleeder valve. Do this a few times.

Man I wish we had an open system with a radiator cap... Much easier.