Radio Locked, Please start the vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichalSidla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi everybody,
I have problem with screen. I tried unlock the battery, I tried reset with two button, but still not working.
On screen work only clima, but no settings, radio is locked.
But I can start and go. I can't find what can I do.
Is it 2014 Ram 5.7 Longhorn.
I can't go to the dealer, becouse I am from Czech Republic and we don't have Dogde Dealership.

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everybody,
I have problem with screen. I tried unlock the battery, I tried reset with two button, but still not working.
I can't go to the dealer, becouse I am from Czech Republic and we don't have Dogde Dealership.
Pull the fuse, on firewall near steering column. Only fuse you will see.
be403c2dde65e7b975f629f8250c971c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi everybody,
Is this radio new for you or has it been this radio the whole time?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Pull the fuse, on firewall near steering column. Only fuse you will see.
be403c2dde65e7b975f629f8250c971c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That’s not a factory fuse, or set of wires.

Dichu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Is this radio new for you or has it been this radio the whole time?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I having the same issue. Purchased a RA4 radio from a Dodge Ram and installed it on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I’ve tried the steps above but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I having the same issue. Purchased a RA4 radio from a Dodge Ram and installed it on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I’ve tried the steps above but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you saying your radio is asking for an anti-theft unlock code?

Dichu

Reaction score
Ram Year
I’m not getting the option to input the code. This is what I get.

Attachments

• F77A329B-9B6E-43EB-A55A-48ACEB586193.jpeg
    F77A329B-9B6E-43EB-A55A-48ACEB586193.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 31

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m not getting the option to input the code. This is what I get.
Are you taking the radio out since its not working? If so, leave it in for several days/driving cycles and see if it changes to allow code input. If that's not an option, seek a refund if possible.

Dichu

Reaction score
Ram Year
I was taking the radio out to determine the issue. I haven’t had it in the vehicle for more than 48 hours yet. Could it be an issue where I may need to do a force update or take it to the dealership to get it retuned for my Jeep Cherokee since it came from a Dodge Ram 1500?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was taking the radio out to determine the issue. I haven’t had it in the vehicle for more than 48 hours yet. Could it be an issue where I may need to do a force update or take it to the dealership to get it retuned for my Jeep Cherokee since it came from a Dodge Ram 1500?
It takes several power cycles and time for the radio to read the vehicle it's in and configure itself normally. You "should" be able to enter the anti-theft code immediately on install, but since its not prompting waiting may get it to display.

Benamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
jeep Grand Cherooke 2015
Engine
6v
Hi everybody,
Hi, did you solve this problem? I have the same problem

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 4

myckee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I am in the exact same boat. I bought a RA4/VP4 radio from a 2013 Ram and installed it in my 2016 Cherokee. I have the same message that will not go away. I even tried updating the radio, which updated fine, but still delivers this message.

Anyone have any idea? Does the Jeep radio plug not have the same wiring as the RAM; as in it is missing a power wire telling the radio the vehicle has started? Or, is the radio too old?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am in the exact same boat. I bought a RA4/VP4 radio from a 2013 Ram and installed it in my 2016 Cherokee. I have the same message that will not go away. I even tried updating the radio, which updated fine, but still delivers this message.

Anyone have any idea? Does the Jeep radio plug not have the same wiring as the RAM; as in it is missing a power wire telling the radio the vehicle has started? Or, is the radio too old?
Have you entered the anti-theft code and it still appears?

myckee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have you entered the anti-theft code and it still appears?
It does not give the screen whereby one could enter the code since it does not recognize the car is running.

I believe I know what the problem is though. I believe the problem is the 29bit canbus used in the Cherokee which is different from most other Chrysler vehicles, including the 2013 Ram, which uses 11 bit canbus signals. The 11bit canbus radio, cannot interpret the 29bit canbus signals it is receiving in the 2016 Cherokee, so it does not know the car is running. This is further proven by the fact the radio does not recognise that it is installed in a Jeep so it still displays the RAM logo when it powers on. The 11bit radio just cannot understand the 29bit canbus signals it is receiving.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It does not give the screen whereby one could enter the code since it does not recognize the car is running.

I believe I know what the problem is though. I believe the problem is the 29bit canbus used in the Cherokee which is different from most other Chrysler vehicles, including the 2013 Ram, which uses 11 bit canbus signals. The 11bit canbus radio, cannot interpret the 29bit canbus signals it is receiving in the 2016 Cherokee, so it does not know the car is running. This is further proven by the fact the radio does not recognise that it is installed in a Jeep so it still displays the RAM logo when it powers on. The 11bit radio just cannot understand the 29bit canbus signals it is receiving.
2013 RA4 and 2016 Cherokee should be compatible. The 2013 was the first year in the RAM with the new CANBUS

myckee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2013 RA4 and 2016 Cherokee should be compatible. The 2013 was the first year in the RAM with the new CANBUS
The 2013 did get the new GPEC2 PCM, however it is still 11bit canbus. The Cherokee also has a GPEC2 PCM, and while the 2014 Cherokee does have 11bit canbus, the 2015, and up, Cherokee, have 29bit canbus despite having the same style GPEC2 PCM. It looks the same but the canbus is definitely different.

I have a small business selling programmed, plug and play, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep PCMs, so I am well versed in this area.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 2013 did get the new GPEC2 PCM, however it is still 11bit canbus. The Cherokee also has a GPEC2 PCM, and while the 2014 Cherokee does have 11bit canbus, the 2015, and up, Cherokee, have 29bit canbus despite having the same style GPEC2 PCM. It looks the same but the canbus is definitely different.

I have a small business selling programmed, plug and play, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep PCMs, so I am well versed in this area.
All 2013-2017 RA3/RA4s "should" work. What is the part number on your radio? You may find this post helpful...

Last edited:

myckee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
All 2013-2017 RA3/RA4s "should" work. What is the part number on your radio? You may find this post helpful...

Thanks SitKneelBend. I have seen and posted in that thread. The radio updated fine to the newer software, despite being not unlocked and despite the start vehicle message. Even after updating, the same message remains. The part number, blacked out by chrysler, and revealed by myself with some alcohol, was 68184965AG. Probably blacked out since the software inside the radio, as reported in the update logs, is 68224537AK

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks SitKneelBend. I have seen and posted in that thread. The radio updated fine to the newer software, despite being not unlocked and despite the start vehicle message. Even after updating, the same message remains. The part number, blacked out by chrysler, and revealed by myself with some alcohol, was 68184965AG. Probably blacked out since the software inside the radio, as reported in the update logs, is 68224537AK
Ah, a Frankenradio! I have seen this particular thing pop up across several UConnect models from the older RA3/RA4 to even the newer Uconnect 5 radios. Return and replace has typically been the solution that worked. The only other solution I might offer is if you have access to AlfaOBD is to try to write your VIN to the radio manually by connecting directly to the Radio Navigator Module.