Ram 2500 swap to powerwagon leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thequif

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 Ram 2500 5.7 the 3rd from the bottom leaf spring is broken on both sides and Im low by 2" 25" from center of hub to wheel well. I looked for some used springs but could only find Powerwagon springs in my area.
Mine have 5 leafs the powerwagon have 7, my question for anyone with a powerwagon is whats the height from the centre of the hub to wheel well and the difference between the springs

thanks

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
@thequif I moved your thread into the 4th Gen Heavy Duty section.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 7 leaf PW are thinner than the 5 leaf regular springs. The PW has a lower payload capacity, so you will be losing that by switching.

zrock

Reaction score
I would not buy used springs, you could end up with the same issue you are already facing a month down the road and now you have just tossed that money in the garbage. Look around you area for a company that specializes in springs usually big truck shops will point you in the right direction. They can usually be had for much cheaper than OEM and are in most cases a better spring. Or hit up Rock Auto and buy a set of theirs..

Tying to save a few $$ on used springs is not the way to go..

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Keep in mind the Power Wagon sits 2 inches taller than a regular 2500 from the factory
You'll lose payload capacity,but will gain slightly improved ride quality in the rear
If you off-road a lot,the PW springs flex very well

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The payload is less because the truck itself is heavier.

You sure about that? 2014 PW is the exact weight of my non-PW. Payload reduces with the diesel due to weight but I'm pretty sure the reduction with the PW is because of the softer rear end.

Attachments

• Screenshot (260).png
    Screenshot (260).png
    241.2 KB · Views: 5

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The payload is less because the truck itself is heavier.
A PW isn't really any heavier than a comparable regular 2500....maybe a couple hundred pounds. Right from the Ram website:

Power Wagon GVW is 8,565 which gives a payload of 1,560

Ram 2500 Laramie GVW is 10,000 which gives a payload of 3,130

Just to clarify, the GVW is NOT what the empty truck weighs but rather how much total weight the truck can handle. As said the higher the GVW rating is for the same basic empty weight truck, the more payload it can handle.

If you run the numbers those are assuming a PW weighs 130 lbs. more than the Laramie when empty, but there is a 1,560 lbs. payload difference. This is basically saying the non-PW 2500's can haul 1,500 lbs. more payload.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The power wagon has softer springs so you will lose some payload. They are also about ~1.5" taller so you may need to swap the shocks as well to accommodate the slightly longer reach.
The actual weight difference between the PW and a similar 2500 is negligible, it's payload is reduced because of the softer springs.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I bought my 2500 cc 8' bed, I looked at the comparable PW. It was almost the same exact base weight. As mentioned, it is the set up (springs, higher ride, etc.) that causes the PW to have about 1/2 the payload capacity of my truck. I was bummed when I saw that, always wanted one but can't have a HD truck that as designed tows/carries like a 1500. But they sure look good!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would not buy used springs, you could end up with the same issue you are already facing a month down the road and now you have just tossed that money in the garbage. Look around you area for a company that specializes in springs usually big truck shops will point you in the right direction. They can usually be had for much cheaper than OEM and are in most cases a better spring. Or hit up Rock Auto and buy a set of theirs..

Tying to save a few $$ on used springs is not the way to go..
I second this right here. There's bound to be a shop near you that repairs/rebuilds springs for trucks (road commission trucks and the like). Head over to them and ask what the price would be for a new set.

Several years back I needed a new set of springs for an old Super Duty, I wanna say it was less than $500 installed from a shop about 40 minutes from my house. It was nice not having to do the work myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500