RAM payload miss-information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Options decrease weight fast. The 1500 has different gross weight ratings depending on engine as well. When you opt for the HEMI, gross weight rating increases by 100lbs or so, so you only lose 100lbs payload over a 200lb heavier engine. Quad Cab is the more efficient people option over the Crew, as it saves 200lbs right there for a mere 9 cubic feet loss in interior space in the rear.

The new 8 speed weighs less than the old 5/6 speed, so Dodge is trying to keep weight in check while adding more structural rigidity due to increased safety regulations that is mandatory.

If you look at the Tundra payload, it's even worse than a loaded Ram once you check all the option boxes.

For me, I buy a vehicle with a purpose behind it. I have a car for mileage, and trips. I have a truck for towing on a regular basis as I own buildings and do my own property maintenance to save greatly on costs. A vehicle, or a truck in this case, is a tool to me. Nothing fancy, SXT trim. I don't even need the hemi, but I bought it used and it came with it so I won't complain. I'm not a small guy and like the room of the Ram, but again, for basic errands, I take the car. My 200 3.6L has a payload of nearly 1000lbs, which by the looks of things, is more than most high trimmed Rams.

If I towed heavier trailers, a 2500 or heavier truck would be the way to go. If it came down to only needing to tow a trailer a few days a year, I would rent a truck.

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
With the numerous options available, it would take a much more sophisticated payload/towing calculator than what is on the web site to determine the actual abilities of a specific truck. It is not surprising that the most favorable numbers are the ones provided but it does give a feeling of bait-and-switch. Buyer beware, unfortunately. A look at a few door stickers of Rams in the lot would give a better idea about the actual payload.

If you want to try calculating your max payload spec by hand, there are additional pages on the ram body builder site that list the weights of all the options. Maybe when you add up all the options on your truck and subtract that from the base payload number from the guide, it will equal what is on your sticker.

As for the Ford F150, I totally do not believe the F150 with the heavy duty package has an equivalent payload (3000 lb, a ton and a half) as my Ram 2500. If, by chance, it could actually carry that much without breaking, I would not want to be in it or near it or in front of it on the road.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As for the Ford F150, I totally do not believe the F150 with the heavy duty package has an equivalent payload (3000 lb, a ton and a half) as my Ram 2500. If, by chance, it could actually carry that much without breaking, I would not want to be in it or near it or in front of it on the road.

Agreed and I have harped about that since they printed that magical brochure. On paper- yes. In the real world- not a snowballs chance in hell.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Orrrrr you could scale your truck
I was fortunate to have a corner scale for combines at my last job