Random RPM drops while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPhillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, new here. I have a 1994 dodge 1500 5.2. It just started dropping RPMs as I am driving. It usually does it as I accelerate, but a couple times while I was driving a constant speed. I have to pump the gas pedal for it to go back to normal. It does not do this all the time.

This happened a few years back and I replaced the throttle positioning sensor and also replaced my catalytic converter/exhaust system. When I did those, it worked great, but now it's back to doing it. Any advice would be VERY helpful!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This could be a 100 things.

Could be a bad ground on a fuel pump, bad wire.. bad fuel pump, fuel pressure, fuel filter, ignition box.... man..

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Do you have any codes? You'll want to test the TPS sensor to see if its outputting a smooth curve. Does turning overdrive off fix the problem? Plenum repair done? You'll also want to test the ignition coil when hot, but if its intermittent, it might not be representative of its health.

glipman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Check your o2 sensors,ake sure they are reading correctly. I'm facing this problem myself and I've been digging deep in the interwebs it's not a simple answer but it's a place to start. This issue is cause by multiple components it turns out, ranging from fuel to ignition to your battery

"inspirational quote" - someone

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you're not having performance issues it's likely the tq converter locking and unlocking