Rattle sound, please help identify!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I have this rattle sound that has been bothering the **** out of me and I can't figure what it could be. Sound will come from bumps you barely feel, to ones you do feel.

I recorded a video of it, you hear it mostly 28 seconds in till 35 seconds.

Don't mind the loud ****** bang you hear, ******** ****** roads..

https://youtu.be/tqjN1_qStjg

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How loud is it? I heard it on the video, and to me it almost sounded like a body panel shaking. Sounded like thin metal, but maybe that's the video.

Can you sort of hear where it's coming from or is it hard to tell.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to tell where, I know front end but not specifically where. It's noticeable, if you were sitting in passenger seat you would hear it. If you turned radio on you can't hear but no radio you hear it.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!

I was thinking maybe new shocks but then I thought that should be a louder sound then that. What is strange, you hear it even if you don't even feel a bump. I can hit a big ass bump and I don't hear it (prob cause the loud as bang is louder) but then on the slightest feeling bump you hear this ****.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

I was thinking maybe new shocks but then I thought that should be a louder sound then that. What is strange, you hear it even if you don't even feel a bump. I can hit a big ass bump and I don't hear it (prob cause the loud as bang is louder) but then on the slightest feeling bump you hear this ****.

When I just listened, shock was my first guess. Shocks only absorb the little bounces. The coils/t-bars handle the big stuff. Sounds like a completely dead shock to me, but its just a guess until you get a wheel off.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought dead shocks made more of a "thump thump" sound. Hopefully you figure it out quickly!

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess, and thats all it is from the audio, is that the shock has lost all pressure and what we're hearing the the hardware rattling. Sounds metallic, but small. Maybe a sway bar end link, but those tend to clunk more.