Rear axle not centered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ItsJustaV8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am new to the forum and I appreciate the future responses. I have an 03 dodge ram 1500 4wd 5.9l. I've noticed that my rear axle is not centered on my truck. I believe it is the passenger side tire/wheel stick out of the femder about 1"-1 1/2. The driver side is therefore more in the wheel well. The drivability is fine its just the looks of it I don't like. Jas anyone come across this on their rig or know.how to fix it??

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Are you sure the axle is moved? Could it be the bed is not mounted right, giving the illusion the axle moved? Has the truck been in any accidents? Did you just notice this? Does the truck track straight, looking from behind? Take a measurement from tire to tire on both sides and see if they match. Let us know.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Measure between the tire and the frame on both sides, that will tell you where the problem is. I'm guessing the bed is off, there have been a few posts about it on new trucks.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The u bolts holding the axel to the leaf springs could of come loose and rattled out of position. Do you see any marks on the axel where the u bolts are that would indicate it moved? Jm .02

OP
OP
I

ItsJustaV8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I measured from the frame to the inside of the tire and the left side is about 8 inches and the right side was I believe 9 to 9 1/2. I took pictures of the u bolts so it might help narrow it down, but they appear to me they have not moved. Where the bed meets the cab seems even on both sides. Would this be accurate to assume then the bed is even?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Probably a stupid question, but do you have the same size rims and matching tires on both sides? U-joints, if they moved, they did it a looong time ago. Did you ever see the truck without this problem?

OP
OP
I

ItsJustaV8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably a stupid question, but do you have the same size rims and matching tires on both sides? U-joints, if they moved, they did it a looong time ago. Did you ever see the truck without this problem?
I bought the truck a year ago. Would it matter if my leaf springs need to be replaced? They are really worn out on both sides. One more than the other.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Was it like this when you got it or did this occur recently?

Leaf springs do look tired, but shouldn't be the reason for this sideways offset. They just sag lower, not side to side.

Please confirm my "stupid question" from last post. I'm running out of ideas. LOL

OP
OP
I

ItsJustaV8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was it like this when you got it or did this occur recently?

Leaf springs do look tired, but shouldn't be the reason for this sideways offset. They just sag lower, not side to side.

Please confirm my "stupid question" from last post. I'm running out of ideas. LOL
The wheels and tires are the same on both sides. However I did notice this problem after I put a new set of wheels and tires on the truck they all have the same offset and same tire size. My truck originally had 17" rims and the set that I had bought that are on the truck now our 20" rims. I am looking to buy 33x 12.50 to put on the 20 inch rims. But I am wanting to hold off until I can fix this problem that way the offset is not too much on one side. The truck does ride straight.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I wonder if that's something a thrust angle alignment will fix.