Rear Brake /overhead brake light problem 2008 Ram 1500 quad cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trooper1954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,
Problem began when I changed a 20 amp fuse that had blown for the rear passenger power point.
After replacing it, I now have no brake lights/overhead brake light while truck is running, and when the truck is parked and the ignition turned off, the brake lights remain on as tho on a time delay for about 5 minutes. I have also lost my time delay on my headlights once the truck is turned off. I'm tempted to think that while I was checking the fuses (I only checked the 20amp ones) I may have returned one to the wrong slot?? Any ideas or help would be appreciated....I'm going to disconnect the battery for awhile and see if this makes a difference.
Thank you.

OP
OP
T

trooper1954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick update...one of the 20amp fuses had another slot right beside it....put the fuse in this slot and now my delayed headlights are working again....but still the rear brake lights do not work and they stay on when the truck is shut off.

OP
OP
T

trooper1954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm....so I disconnected the battery both pos and neg for about ten minutes. Did not change the brake lights staying on, but now my remote starter does not work???:biggun:

OP
OP
T

trooper1954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Solved part of the problem....remote starter now works as do delayed headlights. Checked all fuses and bulbs, and then put in a new brake switch....problem still persists....brake lights constantly on but don't react to brake pedal, and stay on for several minutes after the truck ignition is shut off. also lost himount cab light for pickup box?? Anyone???

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately with the newer trucks with the TIPM troubleshooting this stuff can be kind of difficult. Hopefully your problem isn’t in the TIPM itself. Personally I’ve never messed with my brake system, brake switch, or brake lights so I’m not of much help. Hopelly someone can chime in and give you a hand.

OP
OP
T

trooper1954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally!!!!! Went over everything I'd done previously, and took out the 20 amp fuse that I had replaced originally....guess what??? Even tho its labeled power point IP it affects the rear brake lights!!! Removed the fuse, lost my power point but I have two others, and the brakes are back to normal.

OP
OP
T

trooper1954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Too quick to think problem was resolved!! Back to square one even with the original blown fuse left out...as soon as I hit the brake pedal to put in gear the brake lights came on and of course stay on....still no rear cab high mount stop light also. Going to change both the high mount brake bulb and the rear stop/tail light bulbs today for new ones, even tho they look okay. Anyone have any other suggestions or am I looking at a few hundred dollars at the dealer???