Rear Locker Disengage at 30mph in 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
so I have a 2019 PW and I take it down to baja twice a year for long surf trips and use 2wd with rear lockers on all the the time on the washboard roads and even sand. This year was the first time I noticed it was telling me it was disengaging at 30mph in 2wd and I'm pretty sure it was doing the same in 4wd. On the beaches and roads we are normally doing 35 to 45mph so its a bit of an issue. was this a new software upgrade or did i really not notice it flashing for 3 years when i went over 30?

I've been talking to Abel Components and he doesnt have a package for the 2019+ but you can hardwire it to a switch if you want to with a little help from him. obviously then you have a warranty issues that harder to conceal or take off rather than just a software plug in you can pull out

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You do know it has also a helical posi in the rear similar to the TruTrac?

I agree with you, I hate the nannies, I wish the factory would stop trying to second guess what we should do.

That said, I’ve never experienced any one wheel slipping in the rear of a (modern) PW on sand and such. Always a 2 wheel dig. I find the biggest benefit on washboard running in 4H; it reduces the rear stepping out significantly.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I agree with you, I hate the nannies, I wish the factory would stop trying to second guess what we should do.

That said, I’ve never experienced any one wheel slipping in the rear of a (modern) PW on sand and such. Always a 2 wheel dig. I find the biggest benefit on washboard running in 4H; it reduces the rear stepping out significantly.

we go very far south where gas stations arent close so i'm always trying to conserve gas as i can only carry so many rotopax's. i generally only do 4Wd on soft sand when i air down and 4lo on steep grades

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
haaa, i'm working on putting an aux tank with 20 gallons and a auto transfer switch to the main tank next year when i put a tray bed and side boxes in.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think the helical gear dif is no longer standard on the 2500, have seen party break downs of the dif with the side and pinion gears for inside the dif.
The magnet locking dif of the power wagon would also be of a different design than a helical gear.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
@crash68 I believe you are correct with respect to most HD rams, I understand they dropped the helical design a few years back in favor of clutches. :(

The PW in recent years uses the TracRite GTL.

https://www.demandaam.com/technical...cal-gear-with-electronic-locking-differential

“Features:

• In unlocked mode functions same as the TracRite® GT helical gear limited slip differential
  • Once activated has all the functionality of the TracRite® EL electronic locking differential”
I’m not aware of any other vehicle using the GTL, even the Wrangler doesn’t get it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the helical gear dif is no longer standard on the 2500, have seen party break downs of the dif with the side and pinion gears for inside the dif.
The magnet locking dif of the power wagon would also be of a different design than a helical gear.
The power wagon e-locker has a helical limited slip also.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The PW in recent years uses the TracRite GTL.
That is definitely a different design, something not normally seen available.
The '19 axle internals were beefed up, probably to handle all the whooopaz that GTL differential can unleash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357