Rear tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting ready to put new tires on..before I do I need to figure out what is going on here.....

This is my back passenger tire...it's a little lumpy around the outside edge...it wasn't like this 14000 miles ago when I got it and I didn't rotate....any thoughts what would cause this on the back?

Also I got some vibration around 75

Attachments

• 20160730_105537.jpg
    20160730_105537.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 85

HillbillyJedi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming all of your suspension parts are in good shape, it's most likely cupping from lack of rotation. Occasionally wheels that are out of balance wear like this but not normally. Have you had the vibration for the entire 14k miles or since you noticed the tire was worn unevenly?

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
Usually you see cupping on the rear of a FWD vehicle that hasn't had the tires rotated. It's strange to see that on a driven axle.

One thing I have noticed is that my truck (and I'm assuming all coil sprung rear axle Rams) has a lot of rear toe, about 2 to 2.5 MM positive on each side. I was surprised to see it, but it's within spec which I found intriguing.

I would check your alignment and rear shocks. If one is blown out it may accelerate that kind of uneven wear.

And going forward, rotate your tires at least once every oil change, if not sooner every 5k.

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it like that on both sides of the tire? If so probably under inflation.

It does look like cupping which usually indicates worn suspension.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the air pressure in that tire?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Usually you see cupping on the rear of a FWD vehicle that hasn't had the tires rotated. It's strange to see that on a driven axle.

One thing I have noticed is that my truck (and I'm assuming all coil sprung rear axle Rams) has a lot of rear toe, about 2 to 2.5 MM positive on each side. I was surprised to see it, but it's within spec which I found intriguing.

I would check your alignment and rear shocks. If one is blown out it may accelerate that kind of uneven wear.

And going forward, rotate your tires at least once every oil change, if not sooner every 5k.

I agree. I'm surprised you never felt a problem.
Photo posted is a great shot of a tire sidewall, but did very little to convey the type or extent of unusual wear problem.
Is this truck lowered or lifted? If so, maybe the axle has shifted sideways relative to the frame.

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
38psi. It's only on that rear side...no lift or lower...suspension seems fine...I'm at a loss