Recall for Tailgate Flying Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for you all if anyone knows.

I've got a Mopar Bedrug in my Ram and it extends onto the tailgate. I've got it glued down in a couple of spots where it wouldn't stay in place no matter how many 3M Velcro strips I used.

I'm hoping the service techs don't have to access the part of the tailgate that the bedrug covers because it'll bugger up all my work.

Does anyone know if this fix involves working on only the sides of the tailgate where the latches are located...because I'm OK if that's where the work has to be done?

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine

I've got a Mopar Bedrug in my Ram and it extends onto the tailgate. I've got it glued down in a couple of spots where it wouldn't stay in place no matter how many 3M Velcro strips I used.

I'm hoping the service techs don't have to access the part of the tailgate that the bedrug covers because it'll bugger up all my work.

Does anyone know if this fix involves working on only the sides of the tailgate where the latches are located...because I'm OK if that's where the work has to be done?
I believe they access the latch through the panel on the inside of the tailgate

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Joey, I think they have to get to the tailgate where you have the bedrug glued. Hopefully not, but according to this video, they do.
Good luck bro!

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got mine today. Something about the actuator limiter may fracture allowing the lock rod to over travel

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a BedRug too, just removed it last weekend to wash out the bed underneath (in case anything made its way there)

If I were you I would un-velcro the tailgate portion yourself before going to the dealer. I know it might be a PITA to do it, but chances are they will take a whole lot less care to not mess it up. The tailgate will still close just fine with that flap flipped into the bed (mine is like that right now, actually....I had to open the access panel to spray undercoating inside)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, got my letter. No parts are available yet according to my dealer. Several other owners here have posted up in another thread on their status.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I believe they access the latch through the panel on the inside of the tailgate

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Confirmed, watched the tech fix mine this morning. The panel on the inside of the tailgate must come off.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
i had my latch recall done on saturday, parts are available in the northeast at least.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i had my latch recall done on saturday, parts are available in the northeast at least.
I haven't gotten my recall letter yet.
No worries though,.......I'm not bringing it in anyways until it does come down on it's own.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Joey, I think they have to get to the tailgate where you have the bedrug glued. Hopefully not, but according to this video, they do.
Good luck bro!
Thanks Tone & wgreggking, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a BedRug too, just removed it last weekend to wash out the bed underneath (in case anything made its way there)

If I were you I would un-velcro the tailgate portion yourself before going to the dealer. I know it might be a PITA to do it, but chances are they will take a whole lot less care to not mess it up. The tailgate will still close just fine with that flap flipped into the bed (mine is like that right now, actually....I had to open the access panel to spray undercoating inside)

That's a great idea brother. At least me doing it the bedrug won't get ripped.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, got my letter. No parts are available yet according to my dealer. Several other owners here have posted up in another thread on their status.

My dealership is telling me the same thing. That they are waiting and it could be a couple more weeks.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got mine done this morning, back home in less than 1 hour. Been using Hillsbourgh CJDR in Hillsbourgh NC lately. New smaller dealership and so far been very pleased with their service.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't gotten my recall letter yet.
No worries though,.......I'm not bringing it in anyways until it does come down on it's own.
I actually got mine in the mail today!
lol

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This recall is released in the north east like previously stated. Unsure on availability with other dealers. Simple recall, little rubber bump stop goes on actuator rod to limit travel and prevent fracture.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
FYI, got the FCA tailgate recall notice and called my dealer. Parts are on backorder and I’m now 126 on the waiting list. They estimate a 1-2 month wait...

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t have an incident before then [emoji1695]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500