Recall No More - 5.7l Exhaust manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I want to give the Ram Care team a huge thumbs up for working with me and getting my truck taken care of at a local dealership. They have truly gone above and beyond to correct the issue for me and getting me in a rental for day.

+1 for Nikolas going the extra mile.

Story for those of you having issues.

Last year I received a letter stating that the exhaust manifold bolts were under recall, so I had the work performed. At the time most of them were needing replaced, truck sounded horrible at start up. Fast forward to last week took my truck down to the dealership to get the manifold bolts replaced, again, to find out it's no longer a recall just a "known issue". Therefore it would have been out of pocket without loaner or rental.

Understandably the dealerships hands are tied since I was out of warranty/ext. warranty. What upsets me more is that it's an issue that was fixed in the past and now recurring and the dealership is unwilling to work with the customer (myself) to come to a solution or contact FCA to figure out a resolve.

My friends truck is experiencing the same issue and is not being covered as he is just out of ext warranty as well.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recall on manifold bolts - I know it’s a common (and known) issue on our Hemis but never heard of a recall addressing the bolts.
I’m lucky so far, but already out of warranty @ 35k Miles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haven't heard of the recall on this either.

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doubt it was a recall, more that it was a known issue and fixed under warranty

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bad thing is even if they replace them they will break again...

At some point I will be going to shorty headers to try to stop this issue.
That was my plan too, if/when mine break if it's out of warranty and I have to pay for it I'm going shorties and better bolts. If they're replaced under warranty I may just bring it home right then and tear it apparently again and go with shorties right then.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I voiced my concerns to ramcares.

I have had the bolts repaired 3 times.
They made a note and an issue number and asked me to let them know when I take it in again.
Not sure what that is worth.

What I do know is my wife won’t be getting a new Durango GT anymore. New Explorer it is.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I voiced my concerns to ramcares.

I have had the bolts repaired 3 times.
They made a note and an issue number and asked me to let them know when I take it in again.
Not sure what that is worth.

What I do know is my wife won’t be getting a new Durango GT anymore. New Explorer it is.

Well the Explorer has its own issues with the DI motors and coaking up the valves.
Sucks they cant build them correctly nstead of cutting corners and doing the cheap ass route.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Originally I was told it was a recall. This is round 2. If they break again it's headers and stronger bolts

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the bolts/manifolds are covered under the power train warranty ( 5yr/100k or the 5yr/60k...depending on the year of your truck )

Still love how RAM ****** their customers and lowered the length of the powertrain warranty to 5yr/60k miles a few years ago.....but thats a whole other complaint about this brand.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Noupf barely beat me to it.

Recall on manifold bolts - I know it’s a common (and known) issue on our Hemis but never heard of a recall addressing the bolts.
I’m lucky so far, but already out of warranty @ 35k Miles.

Bumper to bumper doesn't cover the bolts. The powertrain warranty does, so if you have 2015 or older, you're covered for 5 years or 100k. For 2016 and newer, its 5 years and 60k. And don't let the dealership tell you otherwise. Mine was repaired under the powertrain warranty, after my bumper-to-bumper was up. That was at 38k. Now at 60k, and still OK.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Explorer has its own issues with the DI motors and coaking up the valves.
Sucks they cant build them correctly nstead of cutting corners and doing the cheap ass route.
The standard NA 3.5 Explorer motor is port injected. The optional 3.5 Ecoboost is DI and would be the one with the carbon buildup problems. That being said my wifes 2016 Explorer has had the throttlebody replaced under warranty at 6K and the battery crapped out 2 weeks ago at 19K. Looking back now I would have probably given the Durango a try but didn't consider it at the time.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I just had my 2013 outdoorsman 5.7 passenger bolts replaced under power train. Less than 2 weeks till warranty expires whew. I went in for a shift solenoid replacement and just told then I heard a slight tick, truck revs odd sometimes on start and could smell faint gas smell at startup. I know the bolt issues since my 05 hemi Durango has broken bolts. If I ever have another issue, going to get shortly headers, should cure the problem.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Noupf barely beat me to it.

Bumper to bumper doesn't cover the bolts. The powertrain warranty does, so if you have 2015 or older, you're covered for 5 years or 100k. For 2016 and newer, its 5 years and 60k. And don't let the dealership tell you otherwise. Mine was repaired under the powertrain warranty, after my bumper-to-bumper was up. That was at 38k. Now at 60k, and still OK.

Mines a 2015 and dealer said it would not have been covered under powertrain. Which sucked. that's why I got FCA/Ram Care involved

Wiggleroom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a small leak and the dealership addressed it, Maybe a tsb?