Red Lightning bolt and loss of throttle 03 1500 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carterredskins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some help.... started yesterday morning driving to work my truck just lost power. It was still idling and lights and everything was on. I would push the gas pedal and it wouldnt do anything. I had to turn the ignition off and recrank about 3 times then the throttle would react and truck would rev up and I could drive for a little bit before it did it again and I would have to go through same steps to drive again. I made it to work and when I left that afternoon it drove with no problems. This morning I had same problems and this afternoon nothing. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Just curious where I should start on repairing it. Thanks for any help I could get.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need some help.... started yesterday morning driving to work my truck just lost power. It was still idling and lights and everything was on. I would push the gas pedal and it wouldnt do anything. I had to turn the ignition off and recrank about 3 times then the throttle would react and truck would rev up and I could drive for a little bit before it did it again and I would have to go through same steps to drive again. I made it to work and when I left that afternoon it drove with no problems. This morning I had same problems and this afternoon nothing. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Just curious where I should start on repairing it. Thanks for any help I could get.

Check the connector first. I had this same issue once and it was the connector had somehow come loose.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
That's "limp mode" you are experiencing. Need to check your DTC codes. Most common causes is a bad battery, connections or loose plug on something like the throttle body, MAP sensor. Post up the DTC's and they should point the way.

OP
OP
carterredskins

carterredskins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What all should i check the connections on first of all? Second how do i pull up DTC's. Thanks for your help. Also I havent had the battery checked but on the battery guage in truck even when its in limp mode the guage shows good.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
hand held programmer that can read DTC's (Superchips, Diabloe, Sct, Hypertech) or OBDII readers. Or you can go to your local Autozone or equivalent and have them read it for free.

Also a ignition sequence pending on year but i don't recall the process.

OP
OP
carterredskins

carterredskins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok i gotcha I didnt check while i was having the red lightning bolt to see any new codes but i did the ignition sequence yesterday and just had my misfire which ive had for a while on it , no new codes.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Never hurts to run a secondary ground wire from the PCM to TB to the engine head to the negative side of battery. I use a 14ga wire. How long have had a miss-fire code popping? What's causing it? What cam are you running?