regretting not getting a 5.7l Hemi 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
LOL - the Canadian guys are all over it being a 4x2. Not really sure how advantageous a 4x4 is in Tuscon, which averages 0 inches of snow a year.
LOL, that was my thoughts also, For many many yrs , in Canada, guess what, every one had a 2 wd truck, a 4WD was a army truck. I did have a V6 , but that was back in the older model Dakota, milage was not that much different, I think with the 8 sp, and hemi, close call.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It all depends on what you want out of your vehicle. I got a 4x2 Hemi truck. I wanted a 4x4, but they only had 6 speed 4x4 in the trim level I wanted on the lot (that was like 8-10 mpg hit they were all 3.92 vehicles I test drove one and dic never went above 14 at 65). And at first, I thought I lost out, but then I decided to change the terrible wrangler sra tires for a slightly more aggressive highway tread, and the truck has been amazing ever since. I think you got a really nice truck, and you get the benefits of a full-size truck with near midsize car fuel economy. You take care of that Pentastar and it will drive forever.

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
My sincere apologies if I came off as insulting, that wasn't my intention at all. I was trying to highlight the difference in weather patterns.
No need to apologize!
I wasn't offended. Just having some fun with it.
Take Care

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Get what you want. Don't settle. I love my 4x2. Had a 4x4 for years and never used it. Got a new 6.4L 4x2 and love it.
Amen.

I had a 4x4 Tahoe once, I'm north of ya, never used it so why pay for a 4x4? I've had nothing but 2WD since, and have always gotten to work in snow and ice storms, at least Oklahoma ones, never see the need for a 4x4, or pay for it.

To say a 2WD isn't a truck is just ludicrous.

genosguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 ltr
like the title says, regret not getting that truck, instead, I opted for the 3.6l 4x2 mostly because of the fuel economy, 470+ miles to the tank- Idiot, this one is.
I have the same truck and love it. My mpg on distance travel is over 27 mpg. mixed (distance/local) I get 22 or better. I feel so good driving that truck--it's like therapy. Every ride I take in it long or short I say: I love this truck. I have a new Sports Utility, just traded a sports sedan I liked them but --I love this truck.
So, it takes all kinds. I don't think you are wrong, it's your choice--mine is my Ram 1500 2 wheel drive, 3.6 ltr. Good luck to you.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Get rid of it and get what you want. Life is too short to be driving something you don't like. I made that mistake with a Power Wagon a couple years ago. Don't get me wrong, it was a great truck but not the truck for me. Traded it within the first year and got what I really needed/wanted. Took a loss on it but I was much happier in the end and don't regret it one bit.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
like the title says, regret not getting that truck, instead, I opted for the 3.6l 4x2 mostly because of the fuel economy, 470+ miles to the tank- Idiot, this one is.
I get 525 miles to the tank in my 5.7/3.92/8spd....

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What size tanks are in the 5.7's getting 500 & 525 miles a tank full?

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you're sticking with your choice. Good idea! I had a 2015 Hemi 2WD Sport and it did EVERYTHING I needed for 3 years. When I upgraded Travel Trailers, I needed more "oomph" to get it up the gravel drive so I traded for a 4WD. That 2 wheel drive got me through everything--I had limited slip. A good driver can get around quite well in a 2WD.....just sayin'

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 33 gallon tank and the 5.7 gets great gas mileage on the open highway just stay off of the go pedal, if you don't want to hear that great Hemi rumble.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I originally had the mindset of getting the base model so I can do upgrades myself down the road, but FCA, apparently doesn't like that since they make everything so damn difficult to do

I waited 2 years until I could afford my 8.4 upgrade so I get you have to do it over time. If you have a classic then the mods should be pretty easy to do actually. I knew *ZERO* about how to mod my truck and now 2 years after being on this forum all my friends think I am a Ram expert!

You have some large mods you want to do but first hang out at "the best mods under $100" thread. There are A LOT of cool things you can add to a base truck for very little while you save up for the big stuff that is what I did. Blindspot mirrors, TG Assist, Door handle and mirror chrome covers (if you like Chrome), bug deflector, LED interior bulbs, new dash speakers and the list goes on!

After two years all I had was the big stuff left and was able to knock that out late last year. Have fun and enjoy the truck!

Last edited:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is a familiar story.
If you're not happy, and you have the means, trade it in for something you love.
Life's too short.

Often see posts from prospective buyers about whether or not to get the Hemi, and my answer is always the same.
If your single biggest driver is mpg, by all means get the V6. For that matter, get a Corolla.
For most everyone else, some part of you will eventually wish you'd gotten the Hemi.
And they're actually not bad at all on fuel if you're easy on the throttle.

If it doesn't put a smile on your face, why drive it?

As for 4 wheel drive; For me it's one of the key advantages of owning a truck. Regardless of how often you actually engage it.
It's there if you need it, and it's handy as hell when you do.
Not to mention that anywhere north of about Arizona or east of California, the resale on 2wd trucks is terrible.

The people relating 4x4's to Canadian weather, seem to have forgotten that a good chunk of the U.S. gets winter conditions too.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Back in 2000 my kid ask if could have
My Ford ranger it was base reg cab 4x4
, 9 years late ( next day kid get 9 years old an remember) so give her the truck,

so Chevy deal had 6 months old Chevrolet Colorado w/ 8000 miles on it
Walk out for $10 k w tax,
Well it was 2 WD, cool ,
Well 4 months later , trade 10 year old 4x4 for 1 year 2 WD was good deal,
Lol

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I don’t find my MPG not that much worse than the 2016 V6 I had. Towing a bass boat I wanted the V8 plus another kid so I needed crew cab. The V6 get crap trade in and I also got rinsed on my trade. I suggest don’t trade. I sold my bass boat and now don’t really need V8 buy I need the crew

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

alexcomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No point in regretting it man, it's a nice truck. I was always the guy that wanted the 4x4 V8 in my younger years. I live in south Texas. I don't hunt. I don't off-road. Why do I need a 4x4? Why do I need a V8? I haven't hauled or towed anything in over ten years and I don't race or go to the drag strip. I did go from a V6 quad cab to the V8 crew cab about three years ago because of the deal I got. Is the V8 fun to drive? Sure. But I'm lucky to get 370 miles a tank now because of stop and go traffic after work everyday. If I could drop the V6 from my last truck into this one I would do it in a heart beat. Don't beat yourself up man.

2020 Limited 4x2 with 5.7 and Etorque here. Thought long and hard about 4WD but the extra $3500 initial price, plus reduced towing capacity, plus lowered gas mileage and extra weight, plus extra complexity more things to go wrong. Need I say more. I live in Alabama - don't go mudding or off road - last significant snowfall was the blizzard of 93. Incidentally I got a little over 22mpg on a 150 mile highway jaunt the other day and that was with 3.92 rear end. As far as "stop and go traffic" - seeing the R's drop to zero, then start up seamlessly with the Etorque is still a kick. Supposedly worth an extra 1 or 2 mpg's.