Removing wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to remove my rear wheels but I cannot get them off. Is there something holding them on besides the 5 lug nuts?

Gill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to lift the truck off the ground too, like with a jack or vehicle lift...
Try kicking the tire, hard! Nothing else is holding it on besides the 5 lugs. It should break loose with swift impact.

monkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad Cab White
Engine
5.7 Hemi
they will come off with a good couple kicks, before you put them back on, put some never sieze on the hub because of the dissimilar metals (if alum wheels)

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You need a BFH my friend, or a feet extra foot-pounds to get them loose. I second the antiseize on the rotor face and bottom of the studs, especially with the aluminum wheels.

OP
OP
Darkflow

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figured there was nothing else holding them on but I got under it and kicked it as hard as I could a few times and it never budged. I gave up for the time being but I got done what I planned on doing and that was installing the air lift helper bags. I also found out I have no bump stops installed...guess the shop that lowered the truck didn't install them. Explains why it bottomed out so hard on big bumps.

I plan on adding the anti seize when I knock them loose. Maybe next weekend, I'll grab my mallet from work and beat it lol

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to take a rubber mallet to mine to get the rears loose. It felt like somebody welded them on the truck.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put some anti seize on the back of the wheel where it makes contact. You will never have that problem again.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Don't forget they heavy as ****. You gotta lift up a little on them then slide them off. 80lbs is a lot of weight.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had to use a 2x4 and sledge hammer on more than one occasion. Puts more of a direct "jolt" on the rim without damaging it. Sometimes beating on the tire is like punching a pillow..

RamRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Black Ram express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worst case scenario, if absolutely nothing else works, loosen lug nuts just a little, maybe two turns at most, drive down drive way at 10mph(ish) and stomp the brakes. Frowned upon but if ya gotta ya gotta

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Worst case scenario, if absolutely nothing else works, loosen lug nuts just a little, maybe two turns at most, drive down drive way at 10mph(ish) and stomp the brakes. Frowned upon but if ya gotta ya gotta

Maybe, but I wouldn't even go that far. Just a slight roll and brake would work if you HAD to go that route.

Also, nice username :favorites13:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Umm, I dunno about that...lol

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
BFH's do have their place, but there's a much more....gentle approach lol. If you have a large pry bar (4 to 6") you can usually get it between the rim bead and, different for every vehicle but usually the lower ball joint, shock mount etc etc etc.
Just watch any sharp edges and where you place the pry bar. It works well but it does put a LOT of force on your parts so be careful.