replace rear drum brakes with rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Front brakes typically do the majority of the work stopping a vehicle so I’m with tidefan1967, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Did you get your rear brakes to bleed properly? I remember you had a post about no fluid getting to the rears.

OP
OP
J

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
Front brakes typically do the majority of the work stopping a vehicle so I’m with tidefan1967, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Did you get your rear brakes to bleed properly? I remember you had a post about no fluid getting to the rears.

not yet, i think it's the proportioning valve causing it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
how to convert 2001 dodge ram 1500 rear drum brakes to disc brakes

One thing to remember, 2001 trucks used 1/2" lugs

If you switch axles to a newer model, the lugs will be 9/16th"

Last edited:

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I change them out for ease of service and inspection. Most disk setups are much easier to service than drums.

OP
OP
J

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
I change them out for ease of service and inspection. Most disk setups are much easier to service than drums.

my parking brake cable is broken, rusted thru, so why would i need drum brakes?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not yet, i think it's the proportioning valve causing it.
Look closely at the flex hose for the rear brakes. I've experienced over 5 decades of professional automotive diagnosis and repair, those hoses swelling from the inside and causing variations in flow from absolutely none to a trickle. And, funny enough, the rear brakes somehow don't lock up. In one case, the car would actually trailer hitch going over rises in the road... a pulsation if you will where the flex hose was blocking and unblocking as the car rose and settled down, and the brakes in the rear were applying and releasing randomly, but only upon rise and lowering of the vehicles, thus flexing the hose and opening and closing the hose itself!

Secondly, the ABS valve can and, sometimes, will fail closed. Check that out as well.

I recently obtained a 2002 S/T Blazer with the brakes locked up all around. I restored that system, replacing every hose; as a matter of fact, the only original components were the steel lines, the power booster, and the ABS unit. Everything else was replaced.

OP
OP
J

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
Look closely at the flex hose for the rear brakes. I've experienced over 5 decades of professional automotive diagnosis and repair, those hoses swelling from the inside and causing variations in flow from absolutely none to a trickle. And, funny enough, the rear brakes somehow don't lock up. In one case, the car would actually trailer hitch going over rises in the road... a pulsation if you will where the flex hose was blocking and unblocking as the car rose and settled down, and the brakes in the rear were applying and releasing randomly, but only upon rise and lowering of the vehicles, thus flexing the hose and opening and closing the hose itself!

Secondly, the ABS valve can and, sometimes, will fail closed. Check that out as well.

I recently obtained a 2002 S/T Blazer with the brakes locked up all around. I restored that system, replacing every hose; as a matter of fact, the only original components were the steel lines, the power booster, and the ABS unit. Everything else was replaced.

thanks Sherman, but I have removed the rear brake lines all the way to the valve, so how could the flex hose be a factor?

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
good idea?
Not on a 2500 2nd gen. The kit is worthless and the parking brake is downright dangerous. My 98.5 2500 auto Cummins had horrible brakes with the Dana 70. The manuals and 3500's had the Dana 80 with bigger drums and shoes. Pretty decent. Get some more aggressive shoes or something.