Replaced front hub, new bad bearing sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrentJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 2500 crewcab longbed 5.7 Hemi 4x4. 90k

Put new wheels on the truck in February. Tire shop said that the passenger front wheel bearing could be going out but didn't have time to really look into it because it was the end of day and I needed my truck back. Fast forward 2 months and 200 miles , I drive the truck very little, noise sounds like wheel bearing on passenger side front. The noise is persistent regardless of surface dirt or pavement, frequency of whiring increases with speed and so does volume. I test the wheel by trying to move it, little to no play but order and install a new Timken hub. The old hub when free spun does make noises when it shouldn't, I'm confident that it is in fact bad.

But I am getting a new wheel bearing noise sounding like its coming from the passenger front, location of original noise and problem. It sounds like a wheel bearing but different from the old noises starts at lower speed and not as intense but does increase with speed. I checked ALL the U joints with a pry-bar and visually inspected them. All u joints pass inspection and appear to be in good working order. The noise does not change with angle of wheels, indicating to me that is not the ujoint for the front axle behind the hub.

Is it likely I got a bad hub? Any ideas, tails to chase, rabbit holes to go down?

Also the drivers side hub seems fine no play and no sound that I can tell.

OP
OP
BrentJ

BrentJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting ,not arguing, but I always under the impression that Timken was the better of the two choices. I have a monarch lathe from 1943 that has the original Timken spindle bearings and they are still perfect. But that was different time and application. I'll look into getting moog, thankfully I purchased off Amazon from Amazon so I can likely get them to overnight my choice.

OP
OP
BrentJ

BrentJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazon overnighted a new hub, no noise anymore.

Ginger Fish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys...sorry if I'm hijacking the tread..

But I have a simular bearing sound. Sound like it comes from the front somewhere.
I have a 2009 1500 4x2. I had the left front wheelbearing replaced in sep. last year. Truck was quiet for a while. A few months back it started again sounded like it came from the passengerside so I replaced that last week. No improvement..sounds still there.

It's only starts went a drive at speeds like 65mph and above that...Can't feel any play och any it doesen't sound anything when I jacked up the truck and rotate the wheels.

Have anyone had trouble with the 4x4 diff? Bearing noise even when it's not "on"?

//Regards Michael

Ginger Fish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was to continue searching does anyone have a clue where to start?

Are there any grease points that you have to grease up from time to time?

Or if I was to dissable the 4wd drive? Could you remove the axels and still use the truck as a 2wd and it would be safe to drive? Just a thought, anyone done this?

Regards Michael