Replacement Push & Go fob. Where to buy ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Where is the best place to buy a replacement fob online ? Or in a brick and mortar….

My 2014 Longhorn fobs are about worn out.

Thanks !!!

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Is it just the shell worn out? I think Amazon has shells, so wouldn't need to reprogram anything.
No I have tried new shells. I feel like it’s the little rubber buttons on the circuit board that are worn out. If I take the circuit board out of the shell, I can mostly get the little rubber nipples to work when pressed.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I have tried new shells. I feel like it’s the little rubber buttons on the circuit board that are worn out. If I take the circuit board out of the shell, I can mostly get the little rubber nipples to work when pressed.

Why do you feel that the buttons are worn out, do they require extra force to make contact?

Cleaning the contacts inside is easy and will make a black & white difference if that's the only issue.

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Why do you feel that the buttons are worn out, do they require extra force to make contact?

Cleaning the contacts inside is easy and will make a black & white difference if that's the only issue.

The buttons seem to be worn down to the point that they don’t work reliably inside the shell…but work pretty consistently when the chip is outside the shell.

My theory is that the shell buttons are not making proper contact with the chip buttons ?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The buttons seem to be worn down to the point that they don’t work reliably inside the shell…but work pretty consistently when the chip is outside the shell.

My theory is that the shell buttons are not making proper contact with the chip buttons ?
Coupling what others have said, you can get a new skin which will come with new "buttons" that are likely warn out on yours. Clean the contacts on the board again and they should feel like new.

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm having a similar issue with my remotes, one is worse than the other. I have tried using them by pressing the buttons, physical micro buttons, with the remote disassembled. Still iffy.

Both lock and unlock work about 75% of the time, remote start is pretty hopeless. There are no "contact pads" to clean, these are enclosed buttons within the remote.

Driving down the interstate and hearing the dashboard chime, the EVIC display shows "Fob has left the vehicle" is exciting. I have to pull over, shut the truck off, then use the remote to press the Start button to clear it.
What fun!

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I'm having a similar issue with my remotes, one is worse than the other. I have tried using them by pressing the buttons, physical micro buttons, with the remote disassembled. Still iffy.

Both lock and unlock work about 75% of the time, remote start is pretty hopeless. There are no "contact pads" to clean, these are enclosed buttons within the remote.

Driving down the interstate and hearing the dashboard chime, the EVIC display shows "Fob has left the vehicle" is exciting. I have to pull over, shut the truck off, then use the remote to press the Start button to clear it.
What fun!
I have had these experiences also. Sucks being away from home and not knowing if your truck will start.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Your diagnosis sounds correct to me but cleaning contacts is a very simple task, no need to replace them yet.

The buttons on FOBs, calculators, cordless phones, digital timers, and TV remotes all collect dust and dirt from being handled and this grime eventually works its way inside to impede the electrical contacts.

I'm certain you can find many YouTube videos that will demonstrate how to disassemble and clean the contacts inside the FOB.

Carefully open the FOB, remove the buttons or one-piece tray, (sometimes the buttons are individual pieces, other times, they're single piece with all the buttons), use a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol to wipe the copper contact on the PCB and don't forget the inside of each button.

If you don't have rubbing alcohol, peroxide will work or you can clean the PCB contact using a pink pencil eraser.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What fun!

Have you tried removing the silicone button and cleaning both the PCB contact and the inside of the button?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have brand new skins…they don’t work any more consistently than the original skins do.
I may have missed it, but did you actually clean the board itself too? It builds up a tacky rubbery film on the contacts that can be cleaned relatively easily (I recommend electronics cleaner and a soft bristle brush but a thumb and friction can get the job done mostly too)

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you tried removing the silicone button and cleaning both the PCB contact and the inside of the button?

I don't think I have that kind of remote. My remote PCB has tiny metal boxes soldered to the PCB, and tiny white plastic buttons on top that get depressed to activate their function.

I have hit them with dry compressed air (from a can) and also used contact cleaner on them - no change.

The only reason I suspect the remotes instead of the truck is because my 2 remotes behave very differently. One works fine most of the time but not always, the other fails to work most of the time, but not always.

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
If your looking for an easy replacement try phoning around to your local lock and key shops for a price. More expensive than online options but sometimes my time is worth more than the effort.

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I don't think I have that kind of remote. My remote PCB has tiny metal boxes soldered to the PCB, and tiny white plastic buttons on top that get depressed to activate their function.

I have hit them with dry compressed air (from a can) and also used contact cleaner on them - no change.

The only reason I suspect the remotes instead of the truck is because my 2 remotes behave very differently. One works fine most of the time but not always, the other fails to work most of the time, but not always.
This is what I have. The keyless Push and Go remote. I have cleaned them with alcohol and it didn’t help.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My apologies, not all remotes or FOBs contain microswitches, many of them have a PCB with copper contacts and the silicone button has a coating on the inside to short the copper on the PCB. This style is very easy to clean.

Sealed microswitches are a total PITA to clean and often impossible to repair. On the rare occasion, I was able to soak them in contact cleaner followed by mashing the button a zillion times.

Chances are, your replacement idea is likely the best course of action.

Shop around, and search with a search engine, there is a huge range of prices for FOBs.
I would look for a replacement that I could re-use my manual key without visiting a locksmith.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
DO NOT buy FOBs off of Amazon. 90% of them either don't work, as in won't program to the car, or soon fail. Most good locksmiths won't even try to program them they are so poor and if you insist, they charge whether they work or not. Buy them from a good locksmith and have him program it at the same time. Most of the good locksmiths will guarantee their FOBS and they don't charge if they can't program them to the vehicle.

Personally, after having previously gone down the Amazon after market trail, websites promising OEM FOBs cheaper etc. on other vehicles, and the auto lock smiths saying in 2021 that they don't have quality FOBs available yet for the 2021 2500 RAMs, I just bought 2 OEM ones from the dealer in 2021 and had them program them. All my hunting vehicles have 4 FOBs so everyone in the party has one in their pocket. My time is worth more than the screwing around to save $50 a FOB.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat