Replacement Radio Dilemia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2018 RAM 3500 DRW with all the bells and whistle.

About 3 weeks ago my radio started changing stations on it's on, the Bluetooth started making phone calls on it's on, pretty much Looney Tunes.
Took it in to my dealer - says it needs a replacement - OK - must pay in advance - OK

Two weeks later it comes in. After install I am checking it out - the screen is entirely different than the previous, the heat is on wide open, cannot adjust. The Bluetooth will not pair - wait finally did then went crazy dialing random numbers. The icon for the Sirrus Radio is not there. The Icon for the Backup/Truck Bed Camera is not there. There is an icon for heated mirrors which I don't have.

I stopped, got the service writer to look at all of this, she played with a few things and tried to tell me all of that stuff had to be added. I said I do not believe this is the radio for this truck and she said that according to my VIN number this was the correct radio and that's how it is. THEN I GOT MAD!

I shut the truck off, gave her the keys and told her I would like for her to see if there is a mistake - she said there wasn't but, she would try. I then visited with the service manager and he informed me, for which I did not know, there are no new replacement radios they are all used refurbished. I asked why I was not told that from the beginning.

I guess I'll wait a few days and in the meantime start shopping for aftermarket choices - anyone have any suggestions?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

About 3 weeks ago my radio started changing stations on it's on, the Bluetooth started making phone calls on it's on, pretty much Looney Tunes.
Took it in to my dealer - says it needs a replacement - OK - must pay in advance - OK

Two weeks later it comes in. After install I am checking it out - the screen is entirely different than the previous, the heat is on wide open, cannot adjust. The Bluetooth will not pair - wait finally did then went crazy dialing random numbers. The icon for the Sirrus Radio is not there. The Icon for the Backup/Truck Bed Camera is not there. There is an icon for heated mirrors which I don't have.

I stopped, got the service writer to look at all of this, she played with a few things and tried to tell me all of that stuff had to be added. I said I do not believe this is the radio for this truck and she said that according to my VIN number this was the correct radio and that's how it is. THEN I GOT MAD!

I shut the truck off, gave her the keys and told her I would like for her to see if there is a mistake - she said there wasn't but, she would try. I then visited with the service manager and he informed me, for which I did not know, there are no new replacement radios they are all used refurbished. I asked why I was not told that from the beginning.

I guess I'll wait a few days and in the meantime start shopping for aftermarket choices - anyone have any suggestions?
All of the things you describe will "settle in" and correct themselves after several power cycles/time being installed in your truck (they should have known this and informed you). May I ask how much they charged to replace the radio?

OP
OP
GeorgiaTrains

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Radio was $983. and another $150. for install - what about all of the missing icons and the Bluetooth not working?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No replacement for 2018? That isn't very old. Did they blame it on chip issue?

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the lady needs to go back to Customer Service 101 training.
Or was the Service Writer just a title they gave her.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been waiting since August 6th for the dealer to get a replacement 8.4 unit for my 2018. At least mine is covered under my MaxCare 7yr/100K warranty.

OP
OP
GeorgiaTrains

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My service manager said there are no new ones that’s why you get refurbished replacements. The problem is you don’t know what you are going to get as in my case - they don’t know either

OP
OP
GeorgiaTrains

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I don’t get a resolution on Monday I am going to have them put my old radio back in and give me my money back and I’ll go buy an aftermarket unit

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Radio was $983. and another $150. for install - what about all of the missing icons and the Bluetooth not working?
The icons will appear as the radio reads the settings stored in the body computer for your truck. It takes several power cycles and probably at least two hours (maybe as long as 24 hours) for everything to show properly on the radio screen again.

As far as Bluetooth goes, you will need to pair your phone to the new radio. Delete the old "Uconnect" pairing from your phone first to avoid confusion when setting up the new "Uconnect" pairing.

Don't be too put off by refurbished. Hopefully this means the radio has already had the delaminating screen issue addressed and this won't be a future issue for you.

I'd see if they'll refund you the service fee of $150 for the inconvenience. They should know these things.

OP
OP
GeorgiaTrains

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the informative reply. I will be patient awhile and see what happens.
This is a small local dealer in business for many years and just moved into a very nice and new modern facility. I would have thought they would have been more on the ball

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I don’t get a resolution on Monday I am going to have them put my old radio back in and give me my money back and I’ll go buy an aftermarket unit
Which unit sre you considering for a replacement?

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the lady needs to go back to Customer Service 101 training.
Or was the Service Writer just a title they gave her.
She did get one part right... "I have to see the manager," then they laughed their ***** off.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Check out the Crutchfield website
It has compatible radios for every vehicle made

OP
OP
GeorgiaTrains

GeorgiaTrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the informative reply. I will be patient awhile and see what happens.
This is a small local dealer in business for many years and just moved into a very nice and new modern facility. I would have thought they would have been more on the ball
GREAT NEWS!! My radio is fixed. The service writer called me this morning and said they had my truck ready. I went to pick it up and low and behold everything was working properly.

I told Rebecca I had been on RAMForum.com and learned the radio had to be updated several times and could take from 2 - 24 hours to cycle through. She said that's exactly what they did after checking with Ram support. Happy ending but, not worth being so upset. She and the Service Manager apologized profusly.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
GREAT NEWS!! My radio is fixed. The service writer called me this morning and said they had my truck ready. I went to pick it up and low and behold everything was working properly.

I told Rebecca I had been on RAMForum.com and learned the radio had to be updated several times and could take from 2 - 24 hours to cycle through. She said that's exactly what they did after checking with Ram support. Happy ending but, not worth being so upset. She and the Service Manager apologized profusly.
Well you don't know until you know. Apologies go a long way with me too...

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

UCONNECT is JUNK, (see my post about troubles if you want) had to replace mine it was 4000 miles on the truck (5 months old) - dealer replaced it it lasted til warranty was expired, come to find out it is a REFURB! thats what they replaced it with, sent out my defective one, to repair it and sell it to some other poor schmuk for $893.00 as new, dont believe it ? contacted the dealer to buy one and they told me there are no new ones - all are refurbs, none were pulled from stock as it would cause a line shortage (so many defective units) so repair and resell them $$$

2 words Go Aftermarket

Bearwiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2018 1500 Ram. My radio started acting up,freezing,getting hot,restarting. Took it to the dealership to have it checked out. The radio was bad so they replaced it. It was almost 1250 to replace it. I paid 100 deductible,been good so far.

493mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
I have been replacing Chrysler radios for years (low bid for vendors means you get what you pay for) but my issue has always been the aftermarket tuners are never as good as the OEM units. The other features may be OK but, I like to listen to the radio.
Mike

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
If you listen to AM at all the Pioneer 2550 I replaced my stock radio with is horrible.
It's the not same application since mine is an
07 but it's lousy. My stock radio had superb reception but lacked the features like my new one. Crutchfield is waay low on inventory.