Replacing old oem battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigmantexan359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've been having problem all week with my battery not wanting to crank over finally it gave out on my today. I went to auto zone today to purchase a new one and the sales guy told me he thinks I would have to find a place to take it to being he was thinking it had to be put on a computer to hold my memory when replacing my battery . Any info will help I have a 2013 5.7 hemi and I new to the game my old dodge was a 02 and I'm not used to this fancy high tec stuff

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You can purchase a battery and swap it out without having to have it connected to any sort of computer.

OP
OP
B

Bigmantexan359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok great I've been searching high and low online and I haven't found nothing on what he said any advice on a battery

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is a pretty early failure for the battery, I would ask the dealer if it is under warranty. Maybe it is the alternator.

OP
OP
B

Bigmantexan359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He tested it said it was bad he gave me a jump I drove it home and my throttle was going crazy I had to ride the break home not even pushing the gas luckily I was less then two miles from the house

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He tested it said it was bad he gave me a jump I drove it home and my throttle was going crazy I had to ride the break home not even pushing the gas luckily I was less then two miles from the house

How many miles on the truck? I agree, a 3 year old battery shouldn't be this bad...

Seeing as I have a 2013 as well this is a little concerning to me...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I replaced mine a few years in I think 4 years. It was not completely dead or worn out I just use that one in my boat now. I replaced with the biggest I could find and that was from Advanced Auto Parts. I bought online used a $50 off coupon and it starts great since. I think if I recall 850CC or around there compared to the stock one that was 575CC or something. Living in MN I mostly only care about Cold Cranking. Too damn cold to mess with at times of the year.

Side note get a power pack to keep in the truck so you never have to ask for help and instead can supply the help in a bind.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thats crazy how early the battery **** the bed.. mines a 2010 and going on 7yrs as of june 2017.. still fires up good ... now that ive said that ill be back soon im sure to eat my words lol...

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I've been having problem all week with my battery not wanting to crank over finally it gave out on my today. I went to auto zone today to purchase a new one and the sales guy told me he thinks I would have to find a place to take it to being he was thinking it had to be put on a computer to hold my memory when replacing my battery . Any info will help I have a 2013 5.7 hemi and I new to the game my old dodge was a 02 and I'm not used to this fancy high tec stuff

I think you just discovered why new batteries have a maximum of three year replacement warranty and prorated falls off quickly after that.

Could be another issue but 91,000 miles of heat and bouncing won't do a battery any good. Failure was earlier than I would guess but not unexpected.

I like the idea of buying the highest cranking amps available at your price.

Heck, we've even had a few Hemi's self destruct in less than that period and they have a much longer warranty.

OP
OP
B

Bigmantexan359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree with you 3 years was life expectancy but I was just concerned about the the guy at the parts house told me about possible loosing memory on my computer while changing my battery so I just wanted to check and ask if that was true

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I agree with you 3 years was life expectancy but I was just concerned about the the guy at the parts house told me about possible loosing memory on my computer while changing my battery so I just wanted to check and ask if that was true

The only memory that would be lost if any adaptive learning it has stored for your driving habits in relation to transmission shift patterns. Even then, if get the battery swapped out within a few minutes of disconnect, it should not even dump that memory.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The only memory that would be lost if any adaptive learning it has stored for your driving habits in relation to transmission shift patterns. Even then, if get the battery swapped out within a few minutes of disconnect, it should not even dump that memory.

+1.

In regards to earlier mentions of brands, there are only a few major battery makers left, they make batteries under a lot of other brand names. East Penn is my current favorite, and made in the USA; O'Reilly's top batteries, Sears's Die Hard batteries, and Energizer car batteries (Batteries Plus and Sams Club) are some of their most commonly found batteries.

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi

absotutley the facts jack
and maybe lose your radio stations in memory
brianj

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1.

In regards to earlier mentions of brands, there are only a few major battery makers left, they make batteries under a lot of other brand names. East Penn is my current favorite, and made in the USA; O'Reilly's top batteries, Sears's Die Hard batteries, and Energizer car batteries (Batteries Plus and Sams Club) are some of their most commonly found batteries.

What about Optima or Odyssey? They're pricey, but I was under the impression that they are a couple of the best and and very dependable.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
What about Optima or Odyssey? They're pricey, but I was under the impression that they are a couple of the best and and very dependable.

Optima has been riding on their early reputation when they were made in the USA. When they shifted production to Mexico, quality took a hit and they are not so much the shiny penny anymore.

Reactions: SyN

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Ram .

I've disconnected my battery many times probably 15 times from a few mins to overnight while installing electrical mods and upgrades and I've never lost any memory base function , not even radio stations .

Hope this helps !

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca