Replying with Voice to text messages on 2019 Ram 1500 12" screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Mihalko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On my 2016 Ram I paid extra for the Connect All access and was able to send text using my voice, Now 2019 Ram with 12" screen loaded with all the bells and whistles they are telling me the only way to use voice texting is to use Android Auto where you have to plug in a Usb cable to your phone every time you get in and out of your car. This is totally a step backwards in technology. We have Bluetooth and it worked well before. This new SiriusXM Guardian is a shame. Once trial is over $25 a month. Is anyone else out there not happy with this new way of connecting?

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I don’t have CarPlay in my 16 but if I did. I’d install a dock.

kballousr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Morning, not dealing with that issue but I bought my 2019 Limited this weekend. This morning on the way to work I rec'd a call and it turned my music off. Not sure what that is but has anyone else had this happen and can you turn that feature off?

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, they went backward on the Uconnect feature. HOWEVER, I think they will fix it.
We just bought a 2019 Grand Cherokee. My phone works fine with my 2014 Ram. On the GC, there is a screen selection between "Pre-defined message" and "Voice recognition message". But whe I select voice recognition, it wants to send a predefined msg. Sounds like a software bug to me.
AND - I can use google auto to send a voice to text msg WITHOUT a USB cable. You just don't get the screen mirroring unless the cable is connected. I just say "OK Google, Send message to ..."

Funny not: Google says "Whats the message"?, When goolge reads back the msg, it starts with "Whats the message...followed by my words...

Lou Leavens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On my 2016 Ram I paid extra for the Connect All access and was able to send text using my voice, Now 2019 Ram with 12" screen loaded with all the bells and whistles they are telling me the only way to use voice texting is to use Android Auto where you have to plug in a Usb cable to your phone every time you get in and out of your car. This is totally a step backwards in technology. We have Bluetooth and it worked well before. This new SiriusXM Guardian is a shame. Once trial is over $25 a month. Is anyone else out there not happy with this new way of connecting?
I will

Lou Leavens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I will use mine until free supcription expires and cancel. This change is the dumbest change I've ever seen the new system is junk.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you use apple car play or android auto for texting it works fine and its FREE. Problem with what was in your 2016 with Uconnect access was it costs $150 a year and only worked with android phones. I don't think the new radios are a step backwards.....in fact with the new radio's you now also have free better navigation with android auto or apple car play

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have had my truck since last spring and this was my first complaint. There is a button on the screen that indicates we should be able to do a voice to text feature, but when hou press it, it asks for a predefined message. The uconnect voice text was great, regardless of were my phone was in my truck i could receive and respond to messages. Now I get a message and if the phone cannot hear me or does not have a wire connected to it, I cannot respond.

KeithDVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, brand new to the forum. I have a 19 Rebel, and this HAS to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I have been going back and forth with Uconnect literally since December on this issue. I get told AA is need, then told it isn't, the Guardian side of the house tells me the Uconnect guys are wrong about AA. I have been told repeatedly that all you have to do is go to www.mopar.com sign in and complete the registration to have the system work without AA. Ok, in my case I have a '14 Cherokee that I didn't renew the Uconnect on and since I have two vehicles I'm always getting the 14 showing up as expired and I can't get past that even if I have the 19 Ram selected. So, if you haven't already tried that I would suggest that the more of us that keep opening assist cases and complaining about this the better. I have asked them why would FCA make a choice to use a third party app that they don't control, support, or get revenue from, why then would FCA even have Uconnect or attempt to charge for it?

Picture to follow, Granit over black Rebel

Keith

Pats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been very happy with the Chrysler products. We have had two Chrysler town and Countrys, a TJ Jeep, a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland and have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit. We Just purchased a 2019 RAM 1500 with all the whistles and bells including the 12” multifunction screen. I am hooked on technology. The 2014 Grand Cherokee was able to send text messages, receive text messages and respond to messages without using pre-defined messages. The new 2019 RAM will only let you respond with their pre-defined messages and send text messages with their pre-defined messages. This is a safety issue because you have to pick up your cell phone and text directly from it if you want to expand on your message which is a step backwards. Hopefully RAM will have a software fix for this shorty.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have been very happy with the Chrysler products. We have had two Chrysler town and Countrys, a TJ Jeep, a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland and have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit. We Just purchased a 2019 RAM 1500 with all the whistles and bells including the 12” multifunction screen. I am hooked on technology. The 2014 Grand Cherokee was able to send text messages, receive text messages and respond to messages without using pre-defined messages. The new 2019 RAM will only let you respond with their pre-defined messages and send text messages with their pre-defined messages. This is a safety issue because you have to pick up your cell phone and text directly from it if you want to expand on your message which is a step backwards. Hopefully RAM will have a software fix for this shorty.
Actually you are only half correct - That is when connected through Bluetooth. When you plug your phone in and use Android auto you have full text to speech capability. There won’t be a software fix because there is none needed.

Levi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an Apple 8 and go thru Siri without an issue. I feel your pain because I too bought mine in the spring of '18 and the Siriusxm trial subscription just ran out. I just got it back from the dealer because the 12' screen flagship radio won't accept the low end subscription from Sirius. FCA said this radio, the 360L , is programed to accept the "All Access" $400 package from sirius. So if I want satellite radio that's the way I have to go. I think they needed to do a whole lot of debugging before they brought this radio out.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If i have to have my phone connected, why have a phone screen? Why have a wireless charging doc, why have bluetooth capability? Why have an app screen? It is obvious the truck was intended to have a functioning Uconnect system, and it obviously doesn't. If your going to go the way of AA. Then do it cleanly, and dont offer the BS Gaurdian package that only half works and messes up your satallite radio subscription when it expires.

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually you are only half correct - That is when connected through Bluetooth. When you plug your phone in and use Android auto you have full text to speech capability. There won’t be a software fix because there is none needed.

Uconnect can, and other hardware does send VR text messages via BT. In my 2013 with the 8.4 it worked fine. There is a button for it on the 12", it just does not work. The idea that if you do it a different way using a different connection method makes up for broken functionality is ridiculous. That's like saying, you can just say 'hey google, send a text' and it works just fine.

The uconnect software on the 12" systems is complete trash. It's half baked, functionality does not work; like this, the vehicle health reports, wonky USB device recognition, etc. They sure as hell had better fix this issue, as this is their high end version of the system. Allowing it to have fewer basic features is not acceptable. People should keep complaining about this so they know it is an important issue.

The only good news is the 8.4 system when released was trash too. Over time they actually improved it, but hopefully it doesn't take 2-3 years to start working right this time.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Uconnect can, and other hardware does send VR text messages via BT. In my 2013 with the 8.4 it worked fine. There is a button for it on the 12", it just does not work. The idea that if you do it a different way using a different connection method makes up for broken functionality is ridiculous. That's like saying, you can just say 'hey google, send a text' and it works just fine.

The uconnect software on the 12" systems is complete trash. It's half baked, functionality does not work; like this, the vehicle health reports, wonky USB device recognition, etc. They sure as hell had better fix this issue, as this is their high end version of the system. Allowing it to have fewer basic features is not acceptable. People should keep complaining about this so they know it is an important issue.

The only good news is the 8.4 system when released was trash too. Over time they actually improved it, but hopefully it doesn't take 2-3 years to start working right this time.
You are missing the point. What worked on your 2013 was a completely different system and what worked by design there doesn’t work that way and it hasn’t on any Chrysler/dodge/Jeep vehicle that has a radio that is android auto or car play compatible since 2017.

On your 2013 it was a paid service through Uconnect Access to have vr texting with android phones. With the new radio Uconnect Access is no longer used and it changed to Sirius Guardian. Sirius xm Guardian doesn’t offer the vr texting as part of the paid subscription which leaves pre recorded text replies through Uconnect. So maybe your anger should be directed toward Sirius Guardian not Uconnect.

This was done by design(not saying it’s a great design, but the intended design none the less). That does not make this broken functionality.

I don’t know about you but I would prefer to have free vr text though android auto rather than having to pay for it.

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are missing the point. What worked on your 2013 was a completely different system and what worked by design there doesn’t work that way and it hasn’t on any Chrysler/dodge/Jeep vehicle that has a radio that is android auto or car play compatible since 2017.

On your 2013 it was a paid service through Uconnect Access to have vr texting with android phones. With the new radio Uconnect Access is no longer used and it changed to Sirius Guardian. Sirius xm Guardian doesn’t offer the vr texting as part of the paid subscription which leaves pre recorded text replies through Uconnect. So maybe your anger should be directed toward Sirius Guardian not Uconnect.

This was done by design(not saying it’s a great design, but the intended design none the less). That does not make this broken functionality.

I don’t know about you but I would prefer to have free vr text though android auto rather than having to pay for it.

Then why is there a button for the VR text right on the screen that doesn't work? Decoration? Sorry, if a button says I can do one thing, and it doesn't work that way, it's broken even if the product manager insists that he meant for it to be that way.

Even if this is intentional, people should still make their complaints heard. There's no technical reason this can't be done, and it is a safety issue.

This is Uconnect software, FCA builds it, tests it and releases it. They partner with Sirius XM for the service.

I'd rather have both the option to use Android Auto / Car Play / or have a full featured system when I pay $20+ a month to have features like remote start / unlock.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I can’t answer why the button is there, but I can tell you it has been there since 2017 on radios with android auto and car play and it still hasn’t changed.

Well you can say what you want to be available, but that doesn’t mean they have to provide you with what you want. They provide a specific service at a fee. You have the choice to pay it or not.

And sure everybody that has complaints about real problems should voice their complaints, but what I’m seeing here is calling the system junk and broken. When in reality it’s you are unhappy because it doesn’t work the way you think it should work

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just because it hooks up to AA does not mean a thing. It is broke because my sirius XM subscription does not work correctly. There 8s a button that explicity states I can text like I used to on my 2015 Sport, but it does not work. My source select does not work correctly when my phone is connected by a cord. It always flips to Pandora.my Sirius XM Gaurdian is intermittent at best to unlock my doors and navigation directions. Navigation does not work most the time. So yes it is way less than ideal, and I seriously miss my 2015 Sport, and I have been casually looking at Fords as my wifes explorer limited entertainment system works extremely well just like the old Uconnect.

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can’t answer why the button is there, but I can tell you it has been there since 2017 on radios with android auto and car play and it still hasn’t changed.

Well you can say what you want to be available, but that doesn’t mean they have to provide you with what you want. They provide a specific service at a fee. You have the choice to pay it or not.

And sure everybody that has complaints about real problems should voice their complaints, but what I’m seeing here is calling the system junk and broken. When in reality it’s you are unhappy because it doesn’t work the way you think it should work

Regardless of this particular issue, the system *is* broken. We are supposed to have vehicle health reports, as it is advertised as part of sirius XM Gaurdian. We do not. Simple voice queries such as searching for radio stations are very inconsistent in my experience. Search from within navigation gives poor results. I also have had issues with remote lock/unlock working. These things have been in the wild more than a year, these issues should be addressed, or at the very least FCA needs to assure owners that they are working on them. What I see is dealers not having answers, and FCA trying to pass the buck to SiriusXM when they should be handling getting these issues addressed rather than directing customers away.

FCA is dropping the ball here leaving both their dealers and owners hanging out to dry.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357