Rewire power point/cig lighter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Express CC that has a switched B+ power point on one side and a regular full time receptacle on the other side. I want to change the switched one to a full time one. Has anyone done this and if so what circuit is best to tap into? I'm capable with 12 v wiring but I don't want to mess with tthe bcm or ecm controls. Also any suggestions on running a third outlet to the rear area? Any advice would be appreciated.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Throw a voltmeter on the wires to the back of the switched cig lighter to determine which wire is +12V. Disconnect or cut that wire, and run a new wire to a fused, constant +12V source.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You should have that option in your fuse box. On my 2011, the fuse can be moved over so that the power is always on vs switched. See if you have it...

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill have to look into moving the fuse over To be constant power.

OP
OP
M

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should have that option in your fuse box. On my 2011, the fuse can be moved over so that the power is always on vs switched. See if you have it...[/QUOTE]

Cool that would be great if its the same on mine. Keeps me from having to splice anything= less excuses for the dealer. I'll have to look at that. Thanks

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
You should have that option in your fuse box. On my 2011, the fuse can be moved over so that the power is always on vs switched. See if you have it...

interesting. Ill have to check mine

OP
OP
M

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at the fuse thing and the fuse cover said something about acc vs 12v but moving it over a notch did nothing. Is there something I'm missing ?

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I looked at the fuse thing and the fuse cover said something about acc vs 12v but moving it over a notch did nothing. Is there something I'm missing ?

Hmm... I will look at mine again and confirm...

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I tried it on mine and the same thing...no luck. I could have sworn that's what it was for. Kinda deceiving isn't it?

OP
OP
M

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I tried it on mine and the same thing...no luck. I could have sworn that's what it was for. Kinda deceiving isn't it?
Yeah I'm looking into other options. Also want to add some plugs to the rear seat area so I guess ill get my wiring kit out and do it that way.

partsguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
you can move the fuse over for constant power. i do not know if anything else is required or not. check on it and get back in a few

partsguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
does the power outlet have a key/battery symbol? if it does then you cannot change it. if it does not you should just be able to move the fuse and not do anything else.

OP
OP
M

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does the power outlet have a key/battery symbol? if it does then you cannot change it. if it does not you should just be able to move the fuse and not do anything else.
I believe it does have the symbol, but I'll have to look to be sure. I gotta get the oil changed this week so i'll ask the dealer about it. I'll post what I find out here.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I have one with the Battery symbol on it that has constant power and one with the key symbol that gets accessory power when the key is turned. I figured you could move the fuse over and the one with the key symbol would get constant power but it didn't change anything...

OP
OP
M

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was at the dealership getting the oil changed and asked if there was a simple way to change it. The tech said he didn't know of one and said they had heard the question before. He also cautioned about doing any cutting and splicing because of the number of modules under the dash. So, until I find a wiring diagram I guess ill just live with it.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't get why/how moving a fuse would change whether a power point is constant or switched. It would be very easy to find constant power, cut the existing +12V wire and use the constant in its place.

OP
OP
M

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't get why/how moving a fuse would change whether a power point is constant or switched. It would be very easy to find constant power, cut the existing +12V wire and use the constant in its place.
Normally it wouldn't he a problm to do some cutting and splicing. I've done that on every car I've ever owned and used to do it as a regular part of my job. I've gotta worry about warranty coverage. If I knew for sure which wire/circuit to use it would be one thing but I don't want to hook into the wrong circuit and wipe out a module.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about buying an additional cigarette lighter outlet from Autozone and putting it just under the edge of the dash,and running new, constant power to it?

OP
OP
M

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about buying an additional cigarette lighter outlet from Autozone and putting it just under the edge of the dash,and running new, constant power to it?

Well that's an idea but I think I'm gonna concentrate on getting some power to the back seat area. Comes in handy on trips keeping the Gameboys charged up. That way I can just reach around and plug into the back one if I need to.