Rock and a hard place

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stitches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So i purchased a used ram from a dealer in Nevada (i live in CA) unaware of some things i needed to do i kept waiting my reg and plates to be sent to me not knowing i needed to do a vin check and smog first. when i finally find that out last wed i go to the dmv that friday get the vin check done and omw to the smog shop check engine light pops up (miss fire in cylinder 7) and i start getting a loud clacking noise. go to a ram dealer they say it most likely a cam issue but they wont warranty it because the truck was a Canadian truck not a US truck. At the moment i dont have the nearly 3k they quoted me to fix it and cant register the truck till the repairs are done due to the check engine light being an auto fail on smog. I cant imagine to many people have had this problem but if anyone has had a similar issue were you able to get anything moving or did you have to come out of pocket for it? Anyone have any idea on a different path i could take?

Thanks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long have you had the truck? Have you talked to the person/dealer you bought the truck from? Sounds like someone didn't do much research before the purchase---Do you know a good mechanic or can you do the work yourself?
Jay

OP
OP
Stitches

Stitches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
picked the truck up in nov. Yeah i definitely should have looked into it more but hindsight and all that... I have spoken with chrysler and the place i bought it. Chrysler is stating if it had been imported properly they would honor the warranty not really sure what that means. place i got it from is looking into how it was brought over to the states.

edit: as for doing the work myself i havnt worked on an engine since my 74 260z my general mechanic who has done an engine swap for me in the past said he'd throw in a crate if i wanted to go that way but wont do the head tear-down

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I must be missing something unless Canadian made vehicles have a different warranty! What does it matter where it came from if warranty is the same?

OP
OP
Stitches

Stitches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I must be missing something unless Canadian made vehicles have a different warranty! What does it matter where it came from if warranty is the same?

No idea. it even has a stamp under the hood saying something about being compliant with emissions in the US which Chrysler says thats just put on when its built at whatever factory has nothing to do with where it was sent.

OP
OP
Stitches

Stitches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just looked at a Canadian dealer and after doing the $.75 for their $1.00 exchange rate. It still seems they are more expensive.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear that but after reading that chicago tribune article it makes sense. I was looking at a truck that was a few thousand less than comparables I could find. After getting a carfax I noticed it was a Canada truck. I decided to just hold off on purchasing any truck but now I can see why it was such a good deal.

Bummer man.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Gray market vehicles...had them in Alaska at a dealership called Lybargers. You could get them cheaper that at the dealership but they made you sign a statement when purchasing that you acknowledged it was a gray market vehicle from Canada and that he warranty was voided.

I could never bring myself to purchase one but I saw a lot of folks do so. They all rolled the dice and some came out on top and others took a bath as it appears you are doing. My sympathies on this experience.

Last edited:

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was and am lucky enough to have bought and owned many dodges and never had to take any back for repair. I learned from my father how to fix things. I never really worried about an extended warranty. A couple recalls and that it for me.still chugging along with my 07 at 183,000 on the clock!

OP
OP
Stitches

Stitches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah looks like ill be shelling out a bit of cash for it. thanks for the condolences lol

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
yeah looks like ill be shelling out a bit of cash for it. thanks for the condolences lol

was it bought from a ram dealer? most legit dealers have a 3 mos 1000 mile warranty. in your dealing with said dealer did you ever talk about any sort of warranty (rither with salesman, manager etc? if they told you they would cover xx and your truck falls in that range i would be calling them out on it. if they are changing their tune (lieing) i would plaster them on social media. bad reviews get dealers attention.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
was it bought from a ram dealer? most legit dealers have a 3 mos 1000 mile warranty. in your dealing with said dealer did you ever talk about any sort of warranty (rither with salesman, manager etc? if they told you they would cover xx and your truck falls in that range i would be calling them out on it. if they are changing their tune (lieing) i would plaster them on social media. bad reviews get dealers attention.

x2 most states require some sort of warranty minimum by a dealer (new or used).

Another option. Tow it up to Canada... But from CA that may not be financially worth it.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
FCA in Canada (or any other country) is a different division of the company. There is no way internally to get the warranty payment from the FCA Canada warranty to the US Dealer. This is common across many industries when you cross an international border. The funding for the warranty payouts goes to the region where the truck (in this case) was sold. Warranties are seldom transferable to a different country.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FCA in Canada (or any other country) is a different division of the company. There is no way internally to get the warranty payment from the FCA Canada warranty to the US Dealer. This is common across many industries when you cross an international border. The funding for the warranty payouts goes to the region where the truck (in this case) was sold. Warranties are seldom transferable to a different country.

A lot of car companies have warranties that go across country lines... There aren't divisions in every country where they sell cars.

The only time I have heard of car warranties not applying across borders is when the company is trying to force people to buy in more expensive markets.

For example, my brother brought back a BMW when he was stationed in England. He did have warranty work in the US, the local dealer had to jump through hoops, but it was possible to have BMW USA pay the bill.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Brown market goods in general are routinely denied warranty claims. Sony, for example, does this. It's nothing new. The RV manufacturers have done it as long as I can remember.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anybody from canada had their truck break down in the US and been not covered or vice versa. Is it just not covered if its been exported to canada and then re imported?