Who else had a hard time getting 4 digit pin from dealers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I needed to program a new key for my 2013 Ram 1500 and I needed my pin. I called my dealer who sold me the truck 11 years ago and they said I could bring in my registration to prove I'm the owner to get the pin. I went in today with my registration and it was a different person who told me she couldn't give it to me and that they had to program the key for $65. She said they needed an RO number to pull the code. I basically told her she didn't know what she was talking about and left. I then called another dealer and that guy told me that I had to bring the truck in to get the key programmed and that Chrysler would fine them if they gave out the pin even if I showed my registration.

Anyway, I ended up discovering the pin puller app and paid $13 to get my pin in about 2 minutes. I then realized I was an idiot and I could have gotten it for free with alfaobd. I ended up just using both to confirm the number matched and then did the programming without any issues.

If it's that easy to get the pin then why are the dealerships giving me such a hard time about it? I'm tempted to call my dealer just to let them know I got my pin without an RO number and it just added to my reasons to not take my truck there anymore, but my name isn't Karen.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's that easy to get the pin then why are the dealerships giving me such a hard time about it?

Because they can scam the masses, it's no different than having them change a cabin air filter.
They will take any opportunity to liberate $ from your wallet.

Just because you may have spent $60K-$100K doesn't give you any special insulation from their crazy gouging. LOL

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
small claims, it is actually illegal for them to force you to use their service, it is called a monopoly. Tell the judge about it.

By 1868, when the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted, the Reconstruction Congress was firmly opposed to all forms of class legislation, grants of special privilege, or of monopoly. Concerns about the evils of government granted monopolies were thus central to the original meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Last edited:

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AlfaOBD will pull it right out
That's what I used. Reprogrammed 2 new fobs in less than 2 minutes. Dealer wanted $400 for the fob, key blank, and programming and cutting the key. Bought AlfaOBD and the odb cable. Worked like a charm. Also turned off the damn seat belt reminder ding. Total cost was about $100 and can do so much more than just the fobs

AlfaOBD - https://www.alfaobd.com/
Cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I used. Reprogrammed 2 new fobs in less than 2 minutes. Dealer wanted $400 for the fob, key blank, and programming and cutting the key. Bought AlfaOBD and the odb cable. Worked like a charm. Also turned off the damn seat belt reminder ding.
I actually shut up the seat belt ding the old fashioned way (turn ignition on, latch-unlatch seatbelt three times) before I got alfa

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't know Alfa could pull it now. IMO that is your code and you buy it when you buy the truck. Obviously FCA thinks otherwise or at least the dealers do.

A few years ago, dealers would give you the non-rolling 4 digit code for free. But at some point a lot of them stopped giving them out. Come to find out, dealers could only request so many per week/month or whatever their cycle was based on and they started charging for it.

I was given my code for free but I had to fight for it and I had to go to a few different dealerships until one finally gave it to me. This was also probably three years ago now so I am not sure if any dealer will even do it anymore.

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Dealership has to give it to you, it's the law, with proper ID, etc. They could claim they don't offer the service, then you would have bring them to court, if they claim they would do it for money.
They don't have to give it free. I wouldn't. They are business to make money.

Fact that AlfaOBD and other software does it, is why our trucks are so easy to steal. Under 1 min to program key and drive away.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I paid for alfaobd mainly because my 7" clusters lights started flickering and I plan to replace it and wanted to be able to fix the odometer and engine hours on the replacement. I wish I had the time and resources to be petty and take them to small claims court or something just to prove a point. Unfortunately I have no way to prove that they are lying about being fined for giving out the pin to the confirmed registered owner so I can't even argue with them.

The main thing is that I did get my number and I did program my key. Unfortunately the key I bought was a cheapo from eBay and it lost it's programming after a couple hours and no longer worked. I returned that fob and ordered an OEM fob to try again.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I used. Reprogrammed 2 new fobs in less than 2 minutes. Dealer wanted $400 for the fob, key blank, and programming and cutting the key. Bought AlfaOBD and the odb cable. Worked like a charm. Also turned off the damn seat belt reminder ding. Total cost was about $100 and can do so much more than just the fobs

Cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm not clear on this, will I be able to program new key fobs with that setup from Amazon? I already have the PIN for my truck.
Thanks

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not clear on this, will I be able to program new key fobs with that setup from Amazon? I already have the PIN for my truck.
Thanks
Yes. Plug in the cable and start AlfaOBD. Then put your working fob in and retrieve the pin if you don't have it. Then it will tell you to put the new FOB in and enter the PIN. Takes all of 2 minutes to do it. Very simple.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Plug in the cable and start AlfaOBD. Then put your working fob in and retrieve the pin if you don't have it. Then it will tell you to put the new FOB in and enter the PIN. Takes all of 2 minutes to do it. Very simple.
Thank you! I'll be ordering that thing right now!

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure if it's specific to the 2013s but the cheaper fobs from Amazon have a tendency to lose the programming after a day or so and then can't be used anymore. I just had this happen so I bought an expensive key from Mopar with a replacement warranty. You can infact program a key and retrieve your pin with alfaobd and a compatible OBD (most use the mx or mx+)

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone who has or had a hard time getting their pin should contact ramtrucks on Facebook via messenger and complain like I did. Lol. Maybe they'll get overwhelmed and smack these dealers in the face for causing drama and being petty.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My local dealership won't give out part numbers either.thats changed in the last couple years here.
I get why but dam.
In my case it was the battery cover awhile back that I asked about on here...took my number to them and they wouldn't even tell me if I had the right number...it was the right number I later found out searching but the part i got was not what I have in the truck.schematic showed what I had.

Last edited:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My local dealership won't give out part numbers either.thats changed in the last couple years here.
i wont even ask my local dealer for part numbers, ill look em up myself and buy them through rock auto if needed
but i trust my dealer about as far as i trust the guys at autozone

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I tried to order this but it is not available on Amazon Canada. It is sad how we Canadians are treated by our government and for that matter some business.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried to order this but it is not available on Amazon Canada. It is sad how we Canadians are treated by our government and for that matter some business.
If you look at the AlfaOBD site, I think they list a few different cables you can use.

From the site:
ELM327 - based USB / Bluetooth / WLAN interfaces for PC and bluetooth/WiFi-enabled Android and Windows devices. All CAN units are supported and some on K-Line. Make sure the ELM 327 is of version 1.3 and above.

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sad, the dorman 99360 worked fine in my 2012. But I see it's not compatible with the newer stuff. 100bucks for a new key fob was a decent price