Rough idle when cold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2006 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and 125,000 miles.

When I start the truck in the mornings, it has an EXTREMELY rough idle. It will run rough until it warms up. I will then hear a CLICK and the engine will run smooth.
I have taken it to two different mechanics and they have come up short. They say that cylinder one is misfiring but they don't know why. New plugs, swapped coil and they both think the injector is fine since it would run bad all the time if it was the injector.

So now I come to all of you in hopes that you can tell me what to try next. I have no clue where to start.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
any codes? i would think that if there is a misfire that it would throw a code. You said new plugs and coil what about wires?

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the code is what told them that cylinder one is misfiring. They are just not able to pinpoint the cause. And it only when it's cold. :-( so with winter coming up, it's only going to get worse.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
can you pinpoint the exact location "click" you are describing?

Since I own an 04, I am not up to speed about MDS systems and hopefully someone with knowledge about it will chime in. But I am wondering if there is a problem with your MDS and it is misfiring the cylinder?????

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cannot pinpoint the exact location. But it seems be coming from the top of the engine. The MDS may be an issue, Hopefully someone will chime in the has experienced this problem before.

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So now that it's getting colder, this is happening more and more often. :( HELP!!!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
So you got a p0301 code? Thats gonna point to 3 diff things. 1) injector failure 2) spark failure (either coil pack or plugs) 3) broke spring or cracked ringland (not seeing that since you said it clears up once warm). If you are getting a p0301 code pull the front driver side plugs and take a look at them to see if they are fouled out any. Drive side cylinders are #1,#3,#5,#7 starting at the front of the motor working back towards the trans.. Pass side is #2,#,4,#6,#8 same order. Easy way to test the coil swap it with the front pass side to see if your code goes to a p0302. Hope that gets ya going bud.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The plugs in cylinder one were checked and changed previously to me getting the truck. I know this because its different than the other plugs. The coils were swapped and there was no difference. The injectors were ruled out because I was told it would always do it if there was an injector problem.
Someone mentioned the IAC. I was going to look at that next just to continue to rule things out.
This is getting worse. It has stalled on me a couple of times lately. And even started running rough after it warms up at times. :-(

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Find a shop that has a bore scope to check the ringland on the #1 cylinder. I reread your first post and sorry for not paying more attention to that and started on the last few. Did either of the shops check compression on that cylinder vs the others? Checking the ringland will make sure the piston is 100% there (#3 tends to be the failed one for some reason). Checking compression will give us info on the springs having any failure. Being an 06 springs are lesser on the list (03-04 had spring issues). Is the CEL still on to get a deff number code also for us?

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the shops did a compression check on cylinder one. he said that there wasn't enough difference to consider it a problem. He was comfortable enough with the numbers to rule that out.

I will put the scope back on it tonight to see what codes are on it now.

Thanks!!!

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Those Trucks got EGR? How cold we talking....I go into limpe mode at -10 F if I hammer the truck when its that cold until the TB warms a bit. What kenneth is telling you I would check. If it was dirty Injectors they would all be dirty and youd be getting a Multipule Misfire P300. PCV, MAP, And IAT should be changed with that knd of mileage......Guaranteed to Help. New Coil Boots and springs at $5 ea is always good and I would think about a new Timing Chain Before your bakelite breaks, hell stick a cam in while your there. Seriously though, Hope you do find the source of your Problem, Got my fingers crossed for ya and this is the best place to get the Outside of the Box Type Thinking....and we are Good at spending Money.

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hooked the scanner up again.

codes read.
P1521
P0300
P0301

I will try the PCV, MAP, And IAT if that will help.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The 1521 is incorrect oil type, the 300 is random misfire, the 301 is front driverside misfire. Wonder if the click is the motor in the TB moving to another position after rereading the first post along with all the other info. Neither shop messed with the main harness behind the intake manifold correct?

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know, neither shop messed with that harness at all.
Not really sure what the TB is. :(

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, that is what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure what he meant by "moving to another position."

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The throttle blade along with the rest of the internals is what I was refering to.

OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed the EGR and it helped A LITTLE. doesnt run as rough or as long but it is still doing it.

I guess the PCV, MAP and IAT are next? What exactly is the IAT?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
OP
OP
S

Solohopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!!!

I bought it last night but was unable to install it today. I'll be installing it in the AM.