Rough idle when cold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
By the way only code I get is the cylinder 1 misfire, when its cold. warms up it runs good. But warm with the Marvel Mystery Oil in it, It ran great.

Hookoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright you ready for it. I went to work this morning and I might have heard a misfire once not sure, but it is nothing like it used to be. PLUS the best fuel mileage I got with this truck was 14.2 mpg. Now mind you I have only had this truck for about 3000 miles now and never had anything with MDS before. Today on my way in I got 17.4 MPG!!! I could feel and see the RPM change from the 8 - 4 cylinders which I never felt before. So before I was not dropping down to 4 cylinders. I have a Dynomax cat back exhaust and can even tell the sound is differant. I think I and going to keep checking the oil and drive more then the 100 miles I originaly thought I would before changing the oil. When I see it get a little dark I will change it and put half a bottle of Marvel oil back in. I will keep you guys informed as to how this works. In my line of thinking the oil hole on the lifter was plugged or blocked enough so that the lifter was not working properly. Here is a link to show how the MDS work on a youtube video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4JDi0K8htY

Hookoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well it was to good to be true :Angry:
Back to the way it was running. I can't understand how the lifters could be bad but its all I have left I think. I changed the MDS solenoid and the screens were plugged. Any other ideas guys its always on cylinder one and I did a pressure test on the cylinder.

Hookoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK I realized I didn't explain to well in my last post. Its a 06 ram 1500 with the Hemi and MDS 4x4
I am having a problem with the truck starting rough sometimes and running like crap throwing codes for cylinder 1 misfire, when the truck gets warm it stopped and ran good but mileage was around 14.2 at best conditions.
I tried the following Cam and Crank sensors, plugs, injector, ignition coil, O2 sensor on left side. I tried adding marvel oil thinking it may be a plugged up port on the lifter or something, It ran AWESOME that day got 17.4 MPG going to work you could definitely hear the MDS working and dropping down to 4 cyl. Now the next day its back to running like crap. So I say lets change the MDS solenoid out maybe thats it. I go ahead and swap it out and clean the throttle body and intake manifold while I am at it put new gaskets on (BY the way my dealership got 18.54 a piece for each gasket, you need 8 so its 148.32 CROOKS. NAPA has them for 11.42 for the whole set made by FelPro.) It runs even worse! Now it rough idles all the time and it pops and farts while driving. It still has the 1 code thrown, cylinder 1 misfire. I am at my wits end with this truck. I bought it used real cheap but with all the problems I have had (new tranny, front end parts, shocks and struts, tires all of which I new but was still able to buy it cheap enough.) This has pushed me over the edge I am now upside down in this stupid truck and can't even trade it in.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Be patient, you are being systematic in troubleshooting the problem. It'll come around.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Well it was to good to be true :Angry:
Back to the way it was running. I can't understand how the lifters could be bad but its all I have left I think. I changed the MDS solenoid and the screens were plugged. Any other ideas guys its always on cylinder one and I did a pressure test on the cylinder.

I would probably suspect the lifters too but it doesn't make sense that it runs worse after the work you just did on the TB and intake. If it were my truck and I was consistently getting a code for #1 cyl misfire at this point I would probably install new non-MDS lifters on all 8 cylinders, buy a tuner and just turn the things off. At least you would eliminate the MDS from the equation.

How many miles on your truck? When I tore my engine down at 166K miles I had a worn cam lobe on #7 or #8 presumably from a bad lifter and mine are non MDS.

Edit: Saw your first post, 104K miles

Last edited:

Hookoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright I just wanted to update, its been a few days now and about 1k miles and truck is running great. I replaced the lifters and that fixed it. My MDS is working and averaging 17.4 MPG on the highway.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well done. Was the engine clean inside or was there some sludge?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Alright I just wanted to update, its been a few days now and about 1k miles and truck is running great. I replaced the lifters and that fixed it. My MDS is working and averaging 17.4 MPG on the highway.

That's great. Glad you found the problem, and kept your MPG's.:favorites13:

Hookoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure how to load a video up or pictures but I have a video of motor running and number 1 cylinder valves are not moving at all. Also have a few pictures of the inside of the motor and valve train.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93