Running hot please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Stant *****, I have no idea but I think I have one out in the barn I will go check and see if there is a maker's stamp on it. I picked up the 180 and 195 when I put the M1 on years ago, I have not had to replace it as of yet, it was more of a convenience thing one stop shopping. I do run the 180 btw if that matters.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Do you have any issue with getting up to operating temps and having good heat in the colder winter months?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Where I am in Canada no problems at all, but we average 23F most winters with the odd cold snap down to -16F. I would not keep it in if it was to stay that cold all winter.

Ok I was reminded by the wife I put a 195 in this fall, don't remember why I did though. All the other years have been 180. MPG does suffer a very small bit with the 180.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Yea we don't stay that cold here on Long Island NY We do dip into the singe digits but when that happens its generally over night when i'm not driving anyway. Do you happen to have the Mopar part number for the 195* stat? I think i'm going to stick with what it came with and dip to a 180* if i'm not happy. Reality is if I NEED a 180* to stay cool, there is a problem. That would just be covering up the real problem and that's not my style.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So I put the tested and known good thermostat in and it's doing the same thing! I shut it down and pulled the thermostat out and it's closed? WTF is going on here! Lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yea we don't stay that cold here on Long Island NY We do dip into the singe digits but when that happens its generally over night when i'm not driving anyway. Do you happen to have the Mopar part number for the 195* stat? I think i'm going to stick with what it came with and dip to a 180* if i'm not happy. Reality is if I NEED a 180* to stay cool, there is a problem. That would just be covering up the real problem and that's not my style.

Yes sir 52028185AC

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
OK so I pulled the 2 new sensors and put the 2 old sensors in. I also shook the hell out of the upper hose while it was running and got a lot of air out of the fill cap. Shes sitting right at 200* and I have great heat however i'm not convinced. Lower hose is still quote cool? I can say the heavy duty Hayden clutch on the fan works great and it moves A LOT of air. The drivers side radiator tank is quite warm, passenger side is pretty warm up top and a lot cooler down low. The radiator is hot up top due to the body lift and shifting the shroud down 2" The radiator inside the should is staying very cool. Hopefully ill get the seat back in tomorrow and ill be able to take it for a test drive.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
This thing is really ******* with you wow. It almost reads like the BL has made the Mopar Magnum air lock worse to deal with. But you are the first to me that has had this afterwards.

Q did you use T tape on the sensor threads? If so take it off and use pipe/thread dope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
This thing is really ******* with you wow. It almost reads like the BL has made the Mopar Magnum air lock worse to deal with. But you are the first to me that has had this afterwards.

Q did you use T tape on the sensor threads? If so take it off and use pipe/thread dope.

Yea man if its got **** or tires its sure to mess with your head!

ARP liquid thread sealer is all I use.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I'm very happy to see the gauge sit at 200* right where I want it and if it wasn't for all this I would never even question it. I still jut don't get why the lower hose s so cool. No way the fan is dropping the temp of the antifreeze that much but its literally impossible to have an air bubble in the lower hose. Ill see what the antifreeze level is tomorrow once its cooled and leveled out. Ill top it off if needed and hopefully get a friend over to help me put the bench back in so I can take it for a ride.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The lower rad hose is the return line so it will be cooler than the top one. Gotta IR temp gun or can you borrow one to check temps?

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Yea I can borrow one from on of the guys at work. Think the outside of the upper hose is close to the coolant temp? I can tell you I cant hold it for more than a few seconds. Lower is barely warm though. The fan clutch is locked when I first start it up and I never heard it disengage but I wasn't paying super close attention to it either.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes on the temp Q

Some of the fan clutches like some rpm before they disengage yours might be one of those.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So let it idle up to temp again today. Hit 210 and the stat must have opened because it dropped right down to 200 and sat there. Got the seats back in and I was going to go for a ride but decided against it. Still don't have rear shocks and my wiper blades are wasted. It's starting to rain and that wouldn't have ended well. I'll get wipers and shocks tomorrow and see how she does!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517