Running hot please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Bought a new radiator. When I get home tonight I'm going to bypass the thermostat and see if I get any flow. If not, new radiator will go in and we'll see what happens. This is getting very frustrating.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No doubt. Good luck today with your truck.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Definitely seems to be... Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Ok so before pulling the thermostat I for some reason shook the upper radiator hose. Sounded like a half full bottle of milk. It was FULL of air. I couldn't get it out so I went ahead and pulled the thermostat. Either way I still had to check for flow and thankfully the antifreeze is flowing beautifully. I couldn't even get the truck to heat up. Now the question is, do I have not one but two bad thermostats? Was it the air in that upper hose? I'm going to test both thermostats in a lot of water and I'm going to buy a new upper hose. I'm not out of the dark yet but I'm so happy to see the coolant flowing so nicely. Saves me $150 on a radiator and saves me from having to pull everything apart that I just finished putting back together. Thank you all for the help so far, I'll keep you all posted with the thermostat findings.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I say big bad air lock, but you will find out when you test those stat's. Is the new one a Stant brand by chance?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard from multiple ppl to park a Ram facing uphill at a fairly good grade (higher than just putting front tires on ramps), in order to "burp" the system. Apparently Rams are bad at leaving air pockets in the coolant system. I had to do this to mine to get the temp right after replacing my radiator this past winter.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have heard from multiple ppl to park a Ram facing uphill at a fairly good grade (higher than just putting front tires on ramps), in order to "burp" the system. Apparently Rams are bad at leaving air pockets in the coolant system. I had to do this to mine to get the temp right after replacing my radiator this past winter.

Yep +1

I used to get air locks often when working on my Ram, that all stopped after the intake was changed to the M1. With the M1 I get zero air locks and zero gurgling in the dash from lack of coolant.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I say big bad air lock, but you will find out when you test those stat's. Is the new one a Stant brand by chance?

The thermostat I had is in it first was a Duralast which is what I normally use. It was in there before doing this work and it worked fine. When it started acting up I went and bought a new one and yes that one is a Stant. My new radiator cap is also Stant. Both thermostats are stock 195* Ill be checking them later on tonight.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Hmmm take that Stant and return it, all I have ever read is they don't work worth a crap. Lots of other people on that other forum have had lots of trouble with the Stant stats. I should have asked you earlier.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
But I had the same issue with the Duraast which I had no issues with at all before the work? Either way, I will return it and get something else. I am curious to see what the pot of water on the stove will reveal

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
**** I bought a Stant for the 76. Oh well....it wasn't that much. lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ I guess you don't remember all the trouble people had with them over on DF eh.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
It's funny I have had the cooling system open so many times on my Grand Cherokee with a 5.9 in it which other than displacement is the same. I have never had any issues like this before. What's the difference here?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^^^ I guess you don't remember all the trouble people had with them over on DF eh.
Vaguely recall it. But I do remember there was also a good amount of guys that ran them and had no issues. So I guess it's a crapshoot.
It's funny I have had the cooling system open so many times on my Grand Cherokee with a 5.9 in it which other than displacement is the same. I have never had any issues like this before. What's the difference here?

Dodge. :D

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Results are in! Stant opened late and slow, duralast opened on time but slow, original one I removed which is an known brand opened on time and fast. Looks like I'm going to just put the old one back in. I always thought Stant was the way to go, last time I'll trust them. They go on the shelf right next to fram.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
On that note, what thermostats are you guys running? Merc, recommendations?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, that's good to know. Glad you got it fixed.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Duno about fixed yet lol. Haven't put the stat back in yet. Once it's in and running at the right temp, then I'll call it fixed. Hey maybe a 180* Stant will work lol it will open at 190*!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
On that note, what thermostats are you guys running? Merc, recommendations?

I am using Mopar stats, they seem to work better for some stupid reason. TBH I don't know what is a good stat these days, I think DD94 had it right luck of the draw to get a good one.