Running issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thatyoungkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 TBI
I recently purchased a 1984 w150 that was swapped from a 318 to a 360 tbi out of a 86. I’m not to familiarized with older motors and am looking for some guidance. When you first start the truck it fires right up and runs great for about 10 seconds then it dies down back fires and shuts down. If you keep you applying throttle it will stay running but it back fires and keeps wanting to die. I’m not sure where to even start with it and looking for advice.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I recently purchased a 1984 w150 that was swapped from a 318 to a 360 tbi out of a 86. I’m not to familiarized with older motors and am looking for some guidance. When you first start the truck it fires right up and runs great for about 10 seconds then it dies down back fires and shuts down. If you keep you applying throttle it will stay running but it back fires and keeps wanting to die. I’m not sure where to even start with it and looking for advice.
If you were close by I would offer to teach you how to work on these older trucks. It is knowledge that is dying out and really should be passed on. Trying to do that by typing out instructions is near impossible. Find yourself a local old guy, car fanatic and see if you can get him to mentor you.

However, as a starting place, backfire is caused by too much fuel being put into the exhaust and ignited. Incomplete combustion in the cylinder. (Not enough fuel also causes backfirs but those are usually up through the carb not out the exhaust.) Over fueling is often caused by the choke being on or something off in the carb such as float stuck etc that is causing more fuel to be dumped into the cylinders than they can burn. The unburned fuel ignites in the hot exhaust. First place to try, take the air cleaner lid off and prop open the choke plate in the carb. See if that fixes your backfire issue.

Can also be caused by bad timing, bad plugs causing poor ignition and incomplete burn or bad spark plug leads, bad rotor or cracked or carbon streaked distributor cap. There are other causes that are a lot more work to fix so start at the easiest and work your way through those first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thatyoungkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 TBI
I should have specified that it is back firing through the throttle body. I’ve seen that these old manual fuel pumps have a tendency to wear out. I was going to check pressure on it. Am I able to spine the distributor? See if advancing or retarding it help any

OP
OP
T

Thatyoungkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 TBI
After tinkering with my 84 w150 with a 86 360 tbi some more today I unhooked the idle speed controller and nothing changed with the way it is running. In the higher rpm’s it is running good but when it gets lower in the rpm’s it backfires through the throttle body and dies out. Would a isc cause this ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat