Safe to drive with ABS Lights on dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gad407

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.1
My son haas a 2014 RAM 1500 with ABS warning lights on the dash. Took to dealership and they said parts aren’t available for a couple of months. I have explored the DIY aspects and am going to look into doing fixes myself, but my question is this: In the interim while the lights are still on, is the truck safe to drive?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Wheel speed sensors (common problem) are normally available. What did the dealer tell him?

The short answer is: if you are in Florida, abs will help in rain and extreme dry braking events. You and your son need to decide whether this is a safety item.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depends on why the light is on. On my Chevy 1500, both the Emergency Brake and ABS lights kept randomly coming on. Turns out it was a bad Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM).

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I should back up on what I said above.

I don't know your son's age or driving experience. If it were my daughter (29) I would repair it immediately. That has nothing to do with her being female. She has never driven a vehicle WITHOUT ABS and she lives in the north.

If your son has similar experience, proceed as you see appropriate.

jco_Michigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
I agree with all above. My son had an issue with our truck (2022) on the freeway and it came down to ABS, we did not a warning. I went to bring it home after he spun into a wall and it locked up on me in the middle of an intersection. As I have been discussing it with others and researching, there appears to be a few defects on this which are quite dangerous.