Seat differences? (Laramie Vs SLT)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
I have a small nag regarding my reg cab SLT and that's with the seat, on my Laramie the bucket seat sits much lower to the floor than the seat in my SLT. To explain further, on the SLT even after lowering the electric seats completely the seating position is much higher than compared to the Laramie where in my normal comfortable position I still have more than an inch of travel to lower.

Now obviously the cushions and designs are different but is that it? what about the tracks?

I ask because I've come to a point where this nag is starting to become an issue and I'm really starting to hate the seats in the SLT.

I plan to get the seats totally re-upholstered with new cushions ( to make it like the Laramie seat) but I wanted to ask those with experience if that's enough or do I need to modify any additional components?

Last edited:

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they both electric seats or is the Laramie manual? That could be the difference. I have no proof either way, but I doubt they'd use two different seats on similar models unless the track was different because of electric vs manual operation.

OP
OP
T

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they both electric seats or is the Laramie manual? That could be the difference. I have no proof either way, but I doubt they'd use two different seats on similar models unless the track was different because of electric vs manual operation.
both are power seats, but i believe the Laramie is 10 way and SLT is 8 way adjustable.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
While I have an '17 2500, it is a regular cab. The highest trim level in an RC is SLT. So I feel your pain. You probably mentioned the only common parts between the SLT seat and the Laramie seat which is the tracks and the lower frame. I spent much time looking into this attempting to upgrade my SLT seats. Bottom line is you need to find a set of Laramie seats out of a wreck / salvage. To begin with, ALL Laramie seats are leather, heated and ventilated. You cannot get leather, heated or cooled seats in an SLT. The cushions are different, the shape of the cushions are different, and the seat covers are of course different. Not only that but you CANNOT take a Laramie cushion and put it on an SLT seat. The J-clips of Laramie covers that go over the cushions are in different locations than the J-clips on an SLT seat so you cannot clip them onto the seat frame. Then of course you have 10 way power seats with the Laramie and most have memory too. So I went and found a set of Laramie seats. No not cheap. In fact they arrive tomorrow as I write this. I was very lucky and found a set out of a Ram test vehicle. FCA / Ram cannot sell test vehicles, so when they finish their testing they dismantle them and send the parts to salvage yards in Michigan. The Laramie seats have 900 miles on them.

OP
OP
T

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I have an '17 2500, it is a regular cab. The highest trim level in an RC is SLT. So I feel your pain. You probably mentioned the only common parts between the SLT seat and the Laramie seat which is the tracks and the lower frame. I spent much time looking into this attempting to upgrade my SLT seats. Bottom line is you need to find a set of Laramie seats out of a wreck / salvage. To begin with, ALL Laramie seats are leather, heated and ventilated. You cannot get leather, heated or cooled seats in an SLT. The cushions are different, the shape of the cushions are different, and the seat covers are of course different. Not only that but you CANNOT take a Laramie cushion and put it on an SLT seat. The J-clips of Laramie covers that go over the cushions are in different locations than the J-clips on an SLT seat so you cannot clip them onto the seat frame. Then of course you have 10 way power seats with the Laramie and most have memory too. So I went and found a set of Laramie seats. No not cheap. In fact they arrive tomorrow as I write this. I was very lucky and found a set out of a Ram test vehicle. FCA / Ram cannot sell test vehicles, so when they finish their testing they dismantle them and send the parts to salvage yards in Michigan. The Laramie seats have 900 miles on them.
thanks for the post, I was thinking sport seats would make more sense as they are the same as laramie seats just have the option to come without memory and the passenger sides can be manual too (atleast in the reg can sports that I saw)

Good luck with the swap.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
thanks for the post, I was thinking sport seats would make more sense as they are the same as laramie seats just have the option to come without memory and the passenger sides can be manual too (atleast in the reg can sports that I saw)

Good luck with the swap.

Yes Sport seats would be a good option. And you are correct in that a regular cab you cannot get a power passenger seat. If I remember correctly Sport seats can come with at least heat. They also are cheaper to buy from a salvage yard since the Laramie seat is more sought after. You do know there is a seat swap thread in the 4th Gen DIY? Informative but it is long. Good luck in your search.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yes Sport seats would be a good option. And you are correct in that a regular cab you cannot get a power passenger seat. If I remember correctly Sport seats can come with at least heat. They also are cheaper to buy from a salvage yard since the Laramie seat is more sought after. You do know there is a seat swap thread in the 4th Gen DIY? Informative but it is long. Good luck in your search.

I'm not sure about the SLT but after I bought my 14 Sport with the power seats, cloth inserts heated, I was at the dealership and sat in a Big Horn. I thought the Big Horn seats were much less comfortable than the Sports. I like the fabric inserts over the leather but that's personal preference but I just got back from Florida and the first day on the road I made 13 hours on this 75 YO body and still felt like I could drive more. I could not have done that with the Big Horn seats.

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Curious if anyone can add on to this. I have a 2015 2500 Big Horn and my wife tends to complain about the seating. I don't mind doing a seat swap but is there any actual difference in the two? Seems like ~$350/seat to swap out the fronts if they're actually more comfortable.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious if anyone can add on to this. I have a 2015 2500 Big Horn and my wife tends to complain about the seating. I don't mind doing a seat swap but is there any actual difference in the two? Seems like ~$350/seat to swap out the fronts if they're actually more comfortable.
The Laramie and Sport seats are completely different than the Big Horn seats as far as the actual cushion and lumbar support and bolster. They are a high back bucket. They also look completely different if you were to compare them side-by-side. I installed the Laramie seats in my truck and they are extremely comfortable. As far as the seats fitting you in your truck any 13 and up Laramie seat will be at direct fit all the wiring in your truck is present and correct. If you're buying any seats for your truck it is extremely important you make sure they have the airbags in the seats. Some of the 4500 and 5500 trucks do not have airbags so even though they are the correct year if you install them in your truck you'll get an airbag light warning. Make sure the seats have the little tag on the side like yours do that says SRS. This is a picture of one of my Laramie seats after I reupholstered it if you look at it closely you will see it's completely different shape than your Bighorn seat.abbdfda4f779457c952218890e7edeec.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Laramie and Sport seats are completely different than the Big Horn seats as far as the actual cushion and lumbar support and bolster. They are a high back bucket. They also look completely different if you were to compare them side-by-side. I installed the Laramie seats in my truck and they are extremely comfortable. As far as the seats fitting you in your truck any 13 and up Laramie seat will be at direct fit all the wiring in your truck is present and correct. If you're buying any seats for your truck it is extremely important you make sure they have the airbags in the seats. Some of the 4500 and 5500 trucks do not have airbags so even though they are the correct year if you install them in your truck you'll get an airbag light warning. Make sure the seats have the little tag on the side like yours do that says SRS. This is a picture of one of my Laramie seats after I reupholstered it if you look at it closely you will see it's completely different shape than your Bighorn seat.abbdfda4f779457c952218890e7edeec.jpg

Yeah, I can see it when I look at my truck versus your picture. Any idea if the longhorn are the same as the laramie? Been loosely looking for awhile and found a pair of longhorn front seats (leather/heated/memory) for ~750 shipped. I was going to reupholster my truck either way so them not matching isn't a big deal. Appreciate the reply.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I can see it when I look at my truck versus your picture. Any idea if the longhorn are the same as the laramie? Been loosely looking for awhile and found a pair of longhorn front seats (leather/heated/memory) for ~750 shipped. I was going to reupholster my truck either way so them not matching isn't a big deal. Appreciate the reply.
Yes the Longhorn seat is the same design. it's just a tan leather instead of the black leather on a Laramie or Limited.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there anyone who has had the seat out of the truck and side by side with the sports? Since they appear to be structurally the same, I wonder if the bottom seat cushion foam is at fault.

The reason I ask is because the foam in the seat was really different in the GM Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade on the last body style. The seats all looked the same, but when you sit in each, it was totally different. The Tahoe / Chevy was firm, less giving and the Escalade / Cadillac was plush and soft like you would expect from a Cadillac. Accordingly, the Escalade seat set lower because you sunk into the foam.

If the seat bottom could be swapped out to a softer thinner foam and keep your seats... that would be great. I'm OK with the feel of the seat I just want the seat lower since I'm so tall.