Sewing Machine 1500?? (Comp Cam)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jezebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read alot on valve train noise after cam installs. Which is why before I started the cam swap, I purchased the following:

Comp Cams XFI 260 Grind
6.550" Intake Rods
7.875" Exhaust Rods
Mopar Performance .625 lift springs

Did the swap with the engine out of the truck so everything was checked over.
Fel Pro MLS gaskets used to replace the head gaskets. Nothing decked/shaved.

Fast forward, engine is in truck... canned superchips 91 tune.
Idles beautifully, runs excellent. No stalling, no rough idle.
Winds out very nicely. Improvement in the midrange power over stock.

I've read its normal to have valve train noise, that classic sewing machine noise coming from both sides of the motor, after a cam swap. I know guys running similar grinds & sidewinders etc etc say they've lived with the sewing machine ticking after a swap with no issues. I'm pretty positive its not an exhaust leak as its pretty uniform on both sides of the motor & sounds like comp valve train... a steady sewing machine sound.

BUT assuming I want to quiet that down sometime in the future because its just annoying to me, especially since I didnt have that noise with the stock setup.... what would the next logical step be? I'm assuming the 7.875" Exhaust rods are good as most use even shorter 6.1 rods there. I'm thinking it would probably be the intake? Maybe going up a notch from the 6.1 intake size I have now of 6.550" to a 6.750" may be a logical step?

(EDIT: Oil Pressure is perfect. Running 7-8 quarts of Royal Purple 5w20)

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put cam/lifters in my 2014 about 2000 miles ago second oil change and its just now starting to quiet up you should upload a vid of it running if you can.

OP
OP
Jezebel

Jezebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put cam/lifters in my 2014 about 2000 miles ago second oil change and its just now starting to quiet up you should upload a vid of it running if you can.
You know I read that also, that it may take a while to actually calm down.
But I went ahead & uploaded a quick video to youtube:
Video: Fresh XFI-260 Idle

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to hear with the exhaust but it sounds good to me maybe quieter then mine lol put some good hard miles on it change oil.

OP
OP
Jezebel

Jezebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to hear with the exhaust but it sounds good to me maybe quieter then mine lol put some good hard miles on it change oil.
Thanks, I know everything is right & tight. I double checked everything, I've built chevy motors before, first hemi here but very mechanically inclined. I know the comp cam in my 327 was pretty clackity also, but that was a flat tappet. I had this one down to the block & actually replaced 3 pistons while I was down to that point. Made sure all the rods were seated correctly etc etc.

It just has that slight little sewing machine happening & you definitely can't hear it when you're on it. But idling next to a wall or pulling up to a drive thru you can hear it a little bit mixed in with the exhaust note. Like I said I think its not harmful at all, its just annoying because I didnt have it before so I'm not at all used to it on this particular truck.

I will more than likely warm up to it after a little bit because damn it pulls real good, it was alright before but its definitely just stouter now, seems more crisp. I shined up everything while I was inside the motor so its basically a totally fresh engine now. I guess I'll just learn to love my little beastly sewing machine now.

See how she sounds after a couple thousand then.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've read alot on valve train noise after cam installs. Which is why before I started the cam swap, I purchased the following:

Comp Cams XFI 260 Grind
6.550" Intake Rods
7.875" Exhaust Rods
Mopar Performance .625 lift springs
Were those by chance the 68277306AA or P5249464 spring? If so, those were designed for the eagle head (taller valve).

OP
OP
Jezebel

Jezebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230508_183442_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_183442_Samsung Internet.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts