Shifting to neutral not doable on 8sp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wondering if one were to shift into N when at lets say 55mph. How would one get back into D again ? I think with the 8 speed brake needs to be applied before shifting. I think that **** mght be normal. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
It will change at speed but not at a stop. It ****** me off that I have to use the brake at the car washes, but I checked to see if I could change at speed one day and it worked. Curious as to why you ask though

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
And love the location! I am from South St Pete/CLW and cannot wait to get home one day!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know I have to tap the break at the carwash. Never tried it at speed. The first time going in the car wash I remember it was tricky.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And love the location! I am from South St Pete/CLW and cannot wait to get home one day!
Hi, used to live in pinellas park and largo until a few years ago. Moved a little up north. Before that, 4500 miles to east. LOL..

Well going back to your curiosity, the reason I wanted to try this is I've had a slight vibration drumming of the drive line which shows its ugly head at 50mph then ceases or not noticeable after 60mph or less.
Wanted to eliminate driveshaft by doing the neutral test at that speed. Meaning when I feel the vibe, to drop into N and see if it goes or not.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never tried that but I have put it back to park without the brake pressed.

Desert Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did it at 45mph by accident, blindly reached for the A/C knob.....oh ****, back in drive, no problem. FYI, If you are still and turn it off, it will automatically put it in park, kinda weird.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Works fine , did it to mine a few times . Shaking not driveline related balance or tires or hub related suspension. Basically shakes a little at 50mph even when in neutral.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Works fine , did it to mine a few times . Shaking not driveline related balance or tires or hub related suspension. Basically shakes a little at 50mph even when in neutral.

The whole truck or steering wheel?

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did it at 45mph by accident, blindly reached for the A/C knob.....oh ****, back in drive, no problem. FYI, If you are still and turn it off, it will automatically put it in park, kinda weird.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This is one of my biggest fears! Does anyone know if there is some sort of safety feature that prevents it from being turned past neutral into reverse or park while driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You're not going to be able to put it in reverse or park while it's going down the road. It's idiot proof LOL.

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figured it would have to be but didn't know for sure. Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk