Shorties / LTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What size is the factory 4th gen Y-pipe? 2 1/4" like the 3rd gen?

If you want your truck to retain great street manners and towing and it's not a drag racer, 2 1/2" Y or mid pipe is max I would go. Cat delete, or better yet, high flow cats, but stick to 2 1/2" with mandrel bends and smooth transition in Y section.

Crazy what manufacturers are claiming and selling now a days. If your building a 600+HP engine Great, but for the 90% who want a good tow/ DD truck and are just looking for some practical upgrades the pickins are getting pretty slim out there.....

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
What size is the factory 4th gen Y-pipe? 2 1/4" like the 3rd gen?

If you want your truck to retain great street manners and towing and it's not a drag racer, 2 1/2" Y or mid pipe is max I would go. Cat delete, or better yet, high flow cats, but stick to 2 1/2" with mandrel bends and smooth transition in Y section.

Crazy what manufacturers are claiming and selling now a days. If your building a 600+HP engine Great, but for the 90% who want a good tow/ DD truck and are just looking for some practical upgrades the pickins are getting pretty slim out there.....

I 100% agree with you on everything you've said in this thread. In a perfect world we could order whatever primaries fit the bill and install. Unfortunately we don't have aftermarket support like GM and Ford engines do with a reasonable price point. I'd love to see options in the $1000 range with y-pipe included instead of the $1600 ish currently.

Another thing is the owners knowledge on the subject and the needs of their driving habits.

The only thing I speak to in this thread are the guys looking for bolt-on only solutions. With that said I wasn't looking to save people money but maximize Hp for the dollar spent.

Happy modding :)

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Actually, I started this thread to weigh the pros and cons of both LTs and Shorties and get everyones input on their experiences.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Right on I can tell you from personal experience 1 3/4 LT's have been one if not my favorite mod. The power gained through the powerband was worth every penny

I wouldn't bother with shorties and I'll never live in a place where I would have to worry about it but I understand for some guys it's their only option.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need a daily driver that can still tow and I'd rather not get a tune. Shortys with cats and new Y ought to do it for me and get rid of that annoying ticking. I'd rather spend the $ on maybe getting a 3.92 rear end swap.

SC doesn't do vehicle inspections (yet), but I still wouldn't run without cats.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t be saying that out loud, you’ll jinx us. By the way, what part of SC you from @Wahrsuul ? I’m here in Columbia.

Like he said, don’t jinx us. I just moved from Md so SC. One of the things I like about SC is that they don’t over legislate in reference to vehicles.

My Rebel is gonna be a DD because I no longer have a take home work vehicle. Looking at changing to headers and this thread provided a lot of very good info.

Thanks

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any of you SC members know of a good performance or exhaust shop in the Conway, MB area?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Local exhaust shop said $200 with the snapped bolts so thats a no brainer. If I didnt have any snapped bolts I would do it myself.

Where in MA are you taking your truck to get them installed? The cheapest quote I got on the Cape for the install with no broken bolts is $350...

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like he said, don’t jinx us. I just moved from Md so SC. One of the things I like about SC is that they don’t over legislate in reference to vehicles.

My Rebel is gonna be a DD because I no longer have a take home work vehicle. Looking at changing to headers and this thread provided a lot of very good info.

Thanks

This has been a nice informative thread. My Rebel is also my DD. I know the age y pipe is $$$ but that and shorties would keep my ok here in IL and I wouldn’t need to tune so it fits my needs although I know it’s not as great as long tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been a nice informative thread. My Rebel is also my DD. I know the age y pipe is $$$ but that and shorties would keep my ok here in IL and I wouldn’t need to tune so it fits my needs although I know it’s not as great as long tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, and good on you for taking that out of this thread and not coming to any conclusions that shorty > LT just because it Fits this application!

Remember, the original 1 5/8" LT Mopar headers along with 2 1/2" mid pipes, high flow cats and Borla dual 2 1/2" exhaust was a well designed, Efficient system for stock to 500WHP on the 5.7 3rd gen Rams and Better fuel economy. (1-2mpg)

So everyone should be looking to that as the "model" and then making decisions based on their personal use of their trucks.

Also remember;

Race truck 1/4 mile = gains Above peak TQ come into play

Tow vehicle/ DD = gains Below peak TQ come into play

So complete opposites as far as exhaust requirements.

The JBA 1 5/8" shortys should give a nice gain that should be noticeable while regular part throttle driving as well as high end power and slightly better fuel eco if rest of exhaust is kept to the parameters of the "model" above.

Primary tube diam defines the peak TQ rpm, so the 1 5/8" OD header pipe keeps peak TQ down low where you want it for a tow/DD vehicle.

Pipe Length defines which side of peak TQ is going to be TQ biased. Shorter pies = bias Above peak TQ, Longer pipes = bias Below peak TQ.

eg. If you take our "model" exhaust from above and replace the 1 5/8" Mopar LT headers with the JBA 1 5/8" shorty's, what's going to happen?

Side by side dyno will show that the Mopar LT's would have greater TQ below peak TQ than the shorty's, they would meet at about the same peak TQ rpm, then the shorty's would begin to out TQ the LT's in the mid to upper rpm.

Either way, Both trucks would retain Great drivability, the LT's would get slightly better fuel eco because of added TQ Below peak TQ rpm.

eg #2

Someone does the JBA 1 5/8" shorty's and adds 3" Y pipe and full dual 3" exhaust.

Result = anything from no change to lost some low end and fuel eco. Step on it Full Throttle and you will feel some gains up top, but nothing you want in a Tow/ DD 5600+lb truck.

In this scenario, the only Saving grace is the 1 5/8" headers! 1 3/4" = Worse, 1 7/8" = Brutal!

My Ram is a DD/ Tow vehicle and always will be. Every mod I do is for added performance Plus better eco which Proves you are making things more Efficient!

So all of my gains will be focused on Below peak TQ rpm! (and keeping peak TQ as low as possible!)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Correct, and good on you for taking that out of this thread and not coming to any conclusions that shorty > LT just because it Fits this application!

Remember, the original 1 5/8" LT Mopar headers along with 2 1/2" mid pipes, high flow cats and Borla dual 2 1/2" exhaust was a well designed, Efficient system for stock to 500WHP on the 5.7 3rd gen Rams and Better fuel economy. (1-2mpg)

So everyone should be looking to that as the "model" and then making decisions based on their personal use of their trucks.

Also remember;

Race truck 1/4 mile = gains Above peak TQ come into play

Tow vehicle/ DD = gains Below peak TQ come into play

So complete opposites as far as exhaust requirements.

The JBA 1 5/8" shortys should give a nice gain that should be noticeable while regular part throttle driving as well as high end power and slightly better fuel eco if rest of exhaust is kept to the parameters of the "model" above.

Primary tube diam defines the peak TQ rpm, so the 1 5/8" OD header pipe keeps peak TQ down low where you want it for a tow/DD vehicle.

Pipe Length defines which side of peak TQ is going to be TQ biased. Shorter pies = bias Above peak TQ, Longer pipes = bias Below peak TQ.

eg. If you take our "model" exhaust from above and replace the 1 5/8" Mopar LT headers with the JBA 1 5/8" shorty's, what's going to happen?

Side by side dyno will show that the Mopar LT's would have greater TQ below peak TQ than the shorty's, they would meet at about the same peak TQ rpm, then the shorty's would begin to out TQ the LT's in the mid to upper rpm.

Either way, Both trucks would retain Great drivability, the LT's would get slightly better fuel eco because of added TQ Below peak TQ rpm.

eg #2

Someone does the JBA 1 5/8" shorty's and adds 3" Y pipe and full dual 3" exhaust.

Result = anything from no change to lost some low end and fuel eco. Step on it Full Throttle and you will feel some gains up top, but nothing you want in a Tow/ DD 5600+lb truck.

In this scenario, the only Saving grace is the 1 5/8" headers! 1 3/4" = Worse, 1 7/8" = Brutal!

My Ram is a DD/ Tow vehicle and always will be. Every mod I do is for added performance Plus better eco which Proves you are making things more Efficient!

So all of my gains will be focused on Below peak TQ rpm! (and keeping peak TQ as low as possible!)

I'd like to know where you're finding 1 5/8" long tube headers for the 4th Gen trucks,they were available for the earlier 3rd Gens,but as far as I know,there's no off the shelf 1 5/8's for the 395 horse 4th Gen trucks.I think you're stuck with either 1 3/4's or 1 7/8's long tube headers for the 4th Gen's.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember those 1 5/8” LTs, they were MOPAR branded, I think made by Magnaflow. They were a big hit specifically for the first and second Gen Charger/Challenger/300C as they wouldn’t void warranties being a MOPAR part. If I remember right, they were about $600 which seemed like a lot, about 10-15 or so years ago. Nowadays they’re like unicorns, as well as I believe they would only fit in 3rd Gen Rams anyways. Good luck finding a set.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where in MA are you taking your truck to get them installed? The cheapest quote I got on the Cape for the install with no broken bolts is $350...
The Lou's Custom Exhausts chains will give you the best bang for your buck on that.... (my quote was from a buddy who owns his own shop though...)

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to know where you're finding 1 5/8" long tube headers for the 4th Gen trucks,they were available for the earlier 3rd Gens,but as far as I know,there's no off the shelf 1 5/8's for the 395 horse 4th Gen trucks.I think you're stuck with either 1 3/4's or 1 7/8's long tube headers for the 4th Gen's.

Well, that was one of my earlier posts, that there is no Love for the owner who wants a mildly modded DD/ Tow vehicle.

Although 1 5/8" LT's are available through OBX/ Maximizer and a few other "off brand" Co's. Just for whatever reason (sales most likely) the more name brand start at 1 3/4" like you mentioned. Unless of course you go with shorty's.

Now being 3rd gen, I often Think in 3rd gen terms and forget that 4th gen are 390/407. That doesn't change my mind about 1 5/8 LT's being the best sized header for my stated purposes, but it does aid those who go 1 3/4" in being Closer to a more optimum operating range, Specially if they keep rest of exhaust conservative and have other bolt on mods.

Something else worth mentioning;

I've noticed many of the LT headers are not that long to be a tuned length. Surprisingly the Pacesetters seem like one of the longest LT headers for these trucks and with a decent looking collector. So even at 1 3/4", being say 6-8" longer than brand "X", you would see even more lower end TQ (below peak TQ rpm). Just run it with 2 1/2" Y-pipe and not too bad.

If Pacesetter made the same header in a 1 5/8" with 2 1/2" collector I would own a ceramic coated set right Now! ;)

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember those 1 5/8” LTs, they were MOPAR branded, I think made by Magnaflow. They were a big hit specifically for the first and second Gen Charger/Challenger/300C as they wouldn’t void warranties being a MOPAR part. If I remember right, they were about $600 which seemed like a lot, about 10-15 or so years ago. Nowadays they’re like unicorns, as well as I believe they would only fit in 3rd Gen Rams anyways. Good luck finding a set.

Believe it or not, those Mopar headers are still available right now. But for some ridiculous reason, the prices have gone crazy. Like 1400.00 a set

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet baby Jesus!!!

Is that for the headers alone or does it come with catted mids?

Got a part number?

Maybe Benny can get us a deal.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Lou's Custom Exhausts chains will give you the best bang for your buck on that.... (my quote was from a buddy who owns his own shop though...)
Cool thanks man, might have to do some driving if the quote is right.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool thanks man, might have to do some driving if the quote is right.
I think the closest to you is Plymouth... but mite be worth the drive.